Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Mac and .doc files

If I get a Sony 505 and use a Mac computer, will I be able to read .doc files on my reader? I know you can do it if you are using a PC but can you also do so with a Mac?

Thanks
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:23 AM   #2
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Mac has TextEdit that reads .doc files. You can edit files with it and drag it to the PRS-505. I have done it using Calibre.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
If there's some particular problem, you can also handle them with OpenOffice, it's now native on Mac and it's freeware, but, as new pointed out, TextEdit should work fine
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Textedit doesn't always show pictures embeded in the doc file though. Openoffice or Neo office are very good free alternatives though.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
bookfiend
Enthusiast
bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma
No problems for me either with a Sony Reader and my Mac. I use it partly to store my lectures in .doc format. For this, I use Google Docs. You can download the file in various formats from there. Then, it's off to Calibre.
bookfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfiend View Post
No problems for me either with a Sony Reader and my Mac. I use it partly to store my lectures in .doc format. For this, I use Google Docs. You can download the file in various formats from there. Then, it's off to Calibre.
Excellent idea, above all if you're working on a series of devices with different operating systems!
Old 08-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
bookfiend
Enthusiast
bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
Excellent idea, above all if you're working on a series of devices with different operating systems!
Google Docs is great if you're jumping between devices, and works well with Calibre and the Sony.

Another good cross-platform program is Evernote. It has both free and paid versions, and clients for Mac, PC, and various phones, as well as a web client. It lets you input all sorts of data and synchronize it to all your computers through the account you create.
bookfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
Juliette
I eat books

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfiend View Post
Google Docs is great if you're jumping between devices, and works well with Calibre and the Sony.

Another good cross-platform program is Evernote. It has both free and paid versions, and clients for Mac, PC, and various phones, as well as a web client. It lets you input all sorts of data and synchronize it to all your computers through the account you create.
Oh, yes, Evernote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
The Mac command-line tool textutil permits conversion from .doc to RTF, which the reader can display directly.

Syntax: textutil -convert rtf filename.doc

Produces filename.rtf

(Note: this is a command-line app.)
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
If I get a Sony 505 and use a Mac computer, will I be able to read .doc files on my reader? I know you can do it if you are using a PC but can you also do so with a Mac?

Thanks
Ok... not sure if anyone really has answered this...

First, the Sony does not support .doc files. It only supports .rtf format. The .doc format is provided through the Sony eBook Library software on the PC which uses word to convert the .doc to .rtf. (Yes they assume everyone has word.)

There is no Sony software for the Mac (yet).

So, if you have Mac Word, or OpenOffice or iWork you can open your word documents, save them as .rtf and then put them onto your reader.

I am not sure if once the Sony software for Mac comes out it will work the same way, converting .doc to .rtf using Mac Word. Since I would guess most Mac's don't have Word installed.

BOb

EDIT: I see cstross above shows that there is a Mac native way to convert a .doc to .rtf... perhaps the Sony eBook Library for Mac software will use that method.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote