Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
AshleyLynn
AshleyLynn began at the beginning.

Device: none
PDF vs ePub

Hello everybody,

I'm in an interesting situation at the moment. I have a client who has a designed print version of a book and wants to make a version for Kindles and other eBooks.

This client read somewhere that all eBooks can read PDFs, so she's thinking we can just convert the print version to a PDF and call it a day. I think that's not the route to take. The beauty of ePubs is that they are fluid; PDFs are not. I'm no expert when it comes to PDFs on eBooks, but I don't think PDFs can come loaded with metadata (name of book, author, publish date, built-in table of contents) nor can I create hyperlinks within (such as creating my own TOC that will appear at the beginning of the ePub).

What's everyone's opinion on this? Am I right in thinking that PDF is NOT the way to go?

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by AshleyLynn; 09-05-2013 at 02:41 PM.
AshleyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
You're right the client is wrong. Oh you can read a pdf easily enough on a computer but if you want to read on an ereader you need epub or kindle format. I've tried reading a PDF on my K3 and it didn't work very well. I couldn't get the font to a size where I could read without straining my eyes and even with it set to the darkest of text it was still a chore to read anything. Plus there isn't an option to skip around easily like with a working TOC. Also most ereaders use epub format with the exception of the Kindle which uses the mobipocket format.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
If your prospective customers are anything like me, they will look at the formats available, see "PDF" and move on. I refuse to buy an ebook in PDF format. Period.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
A PDF on a 6 inch e-ink e-reader does not work. You'll need at least a 9.7 inch reader, or a tablet of that size to read a PDF comfortably. As in, reading it as it was designed to be read. If your book leans heavily on a fixed layout, pictures, and colors, with text being secondary, go with PDF by all means, and require the reader to have a large tablet (or e-reader, if they're willing to omit color). In this case, you don't really have any choice.

It's not feasible to convert a PDF / Book designed for printing to en EPUB and expect it to look good. The media are too different. The one is fixed layout (PDF, print), the other is not (EPUB). They require separate approaches. If your book has some graphics and colors, but can do without the fixed layout and the focus is on text mainly, it's far better to make a new seperate EPUB version.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-05-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
ePub is the way to go. Show her some examples of it being used. Autodesk does it, and so does Adobe. I mention those two because their eBooks are highly graphical due to them being practically manuals for their software.

Even my storyboarding textbook was an ePub.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Pretty much what Katsunami said, with two additions:

It is possible to make a PDF that will be readable on 6" readers, but chances are that you're going to have to reformat the entire document (e.g. to use larger fonts) so you may as well go to ePub. Another drawback for PDFs formatted for a 6" reader: it won't look very good on larger ereaders and tablets, tiny screens for phones, and huge screens on computers.

If it is a text heavy book, expect customers to turn down PDF formatted books (or to be angry if they accidentally buy a PDF formatted book).

Technically your client is correct: most, if not all, ereaders can handle PDF files. They do handle them to varying degrees though (Kobo, not so good; Sony, fairly well). Yet that doesn't mean that it is a good format to publish the book in unless it already uses a complex layout.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyLynn View Post
I don't think PDFs can come loaded with metadata (name of book, author, publish date, built-in table of contents) nor can I create hyperlinks within (such as creating my own TOC that will appear at the beginning of the ePub).
While I agree that you should make an ePub, you're incorrect about the above. It is possible to place metadata w/in a .pdf, one can make a hyperlinked ToC, and one can do special per-page hyperlinks &c. which aren't practicable in an ePub.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
AshleyLynn
AshleyLynn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you WillAdams, I did not know that!

Thank you everyone in general for replying; you have been most helpful.
AshleyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't think all ereaders can handle links in a pdf file, though.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
If your client insists on PDF, at a minimum you'll want to create one that is formatted for 6" screen (as well as a 100% scale version for desktop/laptop consumption), by changing the page size in the editing program (MS Word, InDesign or whatever) and making appropriate layout adjustments before creating the PDF. At least then it will not get scaled down and will remain readable. As others point out, ereaders vary in terms of support for specific PDF features like PDF bookmarks, PDF Reflow, but at least they all open and turn pages, etc.

Note that you cannot sell PDFs through Amazon, Apple, Kobo, B&N etc. But if this is just to make it available on a web site or via email distribution, it would be a lot simpler and cheaper than creating mobi and epub files and all of the associated testing that (should) involve.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-05-2013 at 04:39 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
You can't really format it for a six inch screen. What font size will you use? If you make it 28 pt font so that I could read it, a lot of other people would complain it was too big for them.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
faltradl
Guru
faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyLynn View Post
but I don't think PDFs can come loaded with metadata (name of book, author, publish date, built-in table of contents) nor can I create hyperlinks within (such as creating my own TOC that will appear at the beginning of the ePub).
Oh yes, it is also possible with PDF. But you need a reader like AdobeReader or Foxit on the PC.

- The TOC can be shown at the side of the readerwindow. Nice to see it an the Text at the same time.
- An hyperlinks work. I have PDF with the whole yeare of an astronomical magzin. There are hyperlinks in the image of the original TOC of the magazine. And at the top of the pages back to the TOC.

But of cource, you don't have this on the little ebookreaders. You are right. There it is better to use epub.
faltradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #13
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Lock your client in a cupboard and do not let him/her out until they agree that epub is the way to go
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
The client is wrong wrongitty wrong wrong wrong, and if she mulishly relies more on "I read it somewhere" than on the advice of a number of experts, she is not someone you want to be working with.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
You can't really format it for a six inch screen. What font size will you use? If you make it 28 pt font so that I could read it, a lot of other people would complain it was too big for them.
You would use the same font size as you use for print, or perhaps a little smaller (I think people tend to hold ereaders a little closer than a book). Just lay it out on 6" (diagonal) pages. People will complain the text is is too big or too small in any case, but that is true of print books also. I would reduce the margins from what the print version has, and consider eliminating headers or footers (or maybe using only a footer with chapter name and page number) for the 'ereader' PDF. Screen real estate is at a premium. I think such a PDF would work adequately on a smartphone also, as those typically are held closer still.

Of course if the resources are there to create reflowable formats that would be ideal. But it is more work and involves additional toolsets, ideally some understanding of HTML/CSS. There is work to create this specialized PDF too but it uses the same tools and in general will be much less work.

Anyway, just wanted to explore the option more as everyone else seemed to dismiss it out of hand.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, epub, opinion, pdf