Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #121
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Thank you.
This sounds encouraging. So Kobo readers do display your modifications correctly, am I getting this right? Because I modify virtually all of my ebooks in Sigil as well - and then there are the lovingly formatted uploads by others here at MR that I want to be displayed exactly as intended by the uploader. So Kobo does do that, yes?
Of the ereaders I've used, the Kobo family come the closest to displaying as intended by the creator.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #122
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
My girlfriend tried ordering one today as well.. She was using Firefox and could not get it done.. She switched to chrome and she got it done no problem.. For what it's worth.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #123
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
That's actually fixed in the latest (2.5) firmware so the http: is no longer required.
Thank you, It isn't much of a burden to touch type on a keyboard http, but with my fat fingers on a KT screen it is wonderful no longer required.

Last edited by filmo; 04-17-2013 at 07:56 AM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #124
Fourl29
Connoisseur
Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I wrote a much more in depth post on how I feel about this new device and the competition. So I 'll just sum up my buyer beware here (and buy a kindle paperwhite instead):

Minus
Mickey mouse company
Worst in class customer support
Worst in class and horrendously buggy excuse of software (just see the appropriate thread)
Blue light instead of (paper)white
Poor infrared screen that responds as it sees fit, not when it should
Crap dictionaries
Crap notetaking (and that's one of the main attractions of ebooks instead of paperbooks, easy, exportable, syncable, backup-able, notetaking - something that amazon's devices truly excel at)
Crap store (not worst in class crap, I 'll give this to them, but one of the crappiest)

Plus
Best in class dpi in eink
Size increase is very welcome

So pretty much everything that has nothing to do with kobo but with eink itself is great, everything that has to do with kobo's implementation of eink is rubbish.

If I were you I 'd wait for either amazon or sony to come up with something similar. If you must or if you are willing to spend money just to have one, maybe planning to sell it later on, then go ahead and buy it.

Despite the many minuses I mentioned I am still considering buying one, mainly because I find it cheap for what it can offer me in terms of book reading. But I am fully aware from the get go I am going to be dealing with a mickey mouse company, that I 'd rather not give my hard earned cash to, and that I am going to be frustrated with the user experience, I have no illusions in terms of that. I am however dying to see that high dpi eink in person, since I 've been following the technology for a long time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Thank you, It isn't much of a burden to touch touch type on a keyboard http, but with my fat fingers on a KT screen it is wonderful no longer required.

It's beyond pathetic if they can't sort such an idiocy out. Typing http in 2013 in a browser... the epitome of pathetic.

Last edited by Fourl29; 04-16-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Fourl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:01 AM   #125
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourl29 View Post
It's beyond pathetic if they can't sort such an idiocy out. Typing http in 2013 in a browser... the epitome of pathetic.
So where you so intent on your rant that you didn't notice that they said it's been sorted out in the last update?
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #126
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourl29 View Post
I wrote a much more in depth post on how I feel about this new device and the competition.
I 've been following the technology for a long time now.
Nothing like strongly held opinions based on "Device: none".
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #127
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
Good Ereader Kobo Aura HD Unboxing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVxH26azUGE

Kobo Aura HD maybe a game changer in the ereader wars.
Oh it DOES look nice. *want*
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #128
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
Good Ereader Kobo Aura HD Unboxing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVxH26azUGE

Kobo Aura HD maybe a game changer in the ereader wars.
Thanks for the link. Does look very nice. I'm impressed with how responsive it seemed.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #129
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
Here is Good Ereader's review video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZHoAquQ1jw#t=11m31s
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #130
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikar View Post
Here is Good Ereader's review video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZHoAquQ1jw#t=11m31s
Cool that they have the webbrowser on the home screen now (not that they seemed to notice!)...I wish they had gone into it since they claim it's "polished" compared to the competition.

edit: ah...webbrowser only shows up on homescreen if you've used it more recently....it seems you're home screen is really based on what you are using most...which seems good in theory... i'd definitely like to try that out

And there are more new "extras"....word scramble etc.

I guess this isn't going on the glo??? since the new update apparently doesn't have any of these changes.

edit: there is also a dedicated .com button on the keyboard.....that seems useful...does anyone with fw 2.5 on the glo know if this was added?

Last edited by Uschiekid; 04-17-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #131
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
For those who can't order off of the kobo website, I noticed that Chapters is now taking preorders on their website.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #132
javispedro
javispedro began at the beginning.

Device: None
Is it known whether this is still infrared touchscreen (which I personally favor because of stylus notetaking) or have they moved onto capacitive?

Last edited by javispedro; 04-17-2013 at 10:50 AM.
javispedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #133
Gadget_girl
Connoisseur
Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Aura HD Espresso, Sony PRS-650
I pre-ordered this today. Firefox was still giving me issues with the Kobo site so I used Chrome instead, thanks for the suggestion. I decided to order from the company directly instead of from Chapters or Futureshop so as to save on one of the taxes. The extra $9 can go towards an e-book for my new device, or some fabric to make a pretty case.
Gadget_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #134
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Is it known whether this is still infrared touchscreen (which I personally favor because of stylus notetaking) or have they moved onto capacitive?
Infra red according to the FAQ at http://www.kobo.com/koboaurahd/support/:
Quote:
ClarityScreen+ is also an incredibly responsive touchscreen with Infrared Touch (IR Touch). IR Touch requires fewer layers on the screen, so there's less between you and your stories.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #135
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2tYxn_Jz-o

That's the glo vs. aura review...

haven't finished watching, BUT was super interested to see how low the lowest "glo setting" on the aura goes!!! that is awesome...Would be so good for when you first turn it on in the middle of the night....even if you end up turning it up a little when reading. Looks super low enough to me.

Another thing I noticed on the aura was that for all the dynamic bars (light level, font size, etc) it seems they've added percentages which I really like....I do hope they make at least some of these changes for the glo....
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote