Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Is B&N closing some stores?

I'm in the 2nd B&N store that I've visited today and they have a bunch of books for clearance. The bookshelves were moved or empty. Is like they are moving out or something.

Can someone confirm or deny that?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I'm in the 2nd B&N store that I've visited today and they have a bunch of books for clearance. The bookshelves were moved or empty. Is like they are moving out or something.

Can someone confirm or deny that?
Did you ask them what's going on?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Well, you could have asked *them*.

It is a matter of record that B&N intends to close some stores and move others to cheaper quarters. So yours could be in either group or just clearing out excess inventory; pbook sales *are* declining so excess inventory is likely piling up all over.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can ... I'm shy for that kind of stuff lol ... hold on , let me ask the Starbucks lady ...
Old 08-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline

Hmmmm

The starbucks girl say they actually are making space for additional inventory they bought. That B&N is doing this all around USA. Don't know, sounds weird.

Bookshelves were taken off or on the floor. Lot of empty place. Looks like a Salsa dance room.

Hopefully I'm wrong. If someone else visit a B&N today, feel free to post and confirm. By the way, these two are one of the biggest ones in Houston. Sugarland and the one in Westheimer.
Advert
Old 08-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Maybe they're making more space for bigger nook displays? It's been a long time since I've been in an actual B&N store.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Clearance is normal. They do it a couple of times a year. As for the empty shelves, at least a handful of stores (I'm not sure how widespread) are getting new floor plans and everything is being rearranged. As far as I know, no store closings, just making room for (in the case of my local store) more games and a re-organized kids department.

EDIT: Yes, more nook stuff, too, forgot about that. Bay are coming down to make room for new fixtures.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
My local B&N always has racks and racks of close out stuff. To the point where there's a seperate aisle for each price point ("Books under $10," "$Books under $5," and so on). Sounds like they're just remodeling, which most retailers do from time to time.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
The starbucks girl say they actually are making space for additional inventory they bought. That B&N is doing this all around USA. Don't know, sounds weird.

Bookshelves were taken off or on the floor. Lot of empty place. Looks like a Salsa dance room.
They picked up a lot of the Border's stock very cheap. A lot of stores are making room for it. No one will probably tell you that it's Border's stock, I don't know why. But there's nothing suspicious about it, so no worries. They just are going to be bringing in a bunch of discount stock and need to set up tables for it.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
Nope, everything's fine. We're finishing up our usual large summer clearance, hence those boxes. At the same time, we're doing a bunch of relays. The company is trying to move sections around to make room for new inventory, refreshed stores, and new merchandise in all stores like the Toys and Educational things. All stores are in one of 5 groups. It might take longer for the first to complete because of all the errors and issues that might pop up. :P

At the same time, the kid's departments are doing their own relays to reorganize, refresh, and make it easier to shop.
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline

Good to know it was a false alarm! ;-) ... or looks like ..

I actually enjoy B&N stores and certainly spend some money (and time) on those every weekend; even though my ereader is a Kindle, lol ...
Old 08-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo View Post
They picked up a lot of the Border's stock very cheap. A lot of stores are making room for it. No one will probably tell you that it's Border's stock, I don't know why.
Maybe because that's not true?

Or perhaps it is.

From public statements, Borders liquidators were planning to close all warehouses tomorrow, and sales in still open retail stores continue to ramp up with "new" stock. I'd think selling off stock cheap to B&N would be something you wouldn't see for a couple of more weeks. Borders will want to hold on to the best stock and get as close to retail for that before unloading it in bulk at 5¢ and 10¢ on the dollar.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I went to my local Borders a few days ago. Everything was 30-50% off and the shelves were still quite full. I was surprised to see the huge number of hardcovers still available until I realized they were only discounted 30%. Amazon and B&N are still less expensive.

Few people buying.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #14
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
ugh, i wish i was there to buy xP
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #15
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
No, there have been corporate memos to clear away books and put in more toys, beanie babies, gift items, etc. It's definitely a hard move away from "more books." It's less books and more non-books.
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote