Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
mlevin77
Enthusiast
mlevin77 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Calibre on Mac, iPhone, iPad - questions from a prospective user

Hi all,

I'm investigating tools for the following, and people have suggested Calibre. I've done a little reading on it but I want to hear people's thoughts about the capabilities. I have a few eBooks (in .mobi and PDF format), as well as a couple of thousand of paper books. I'd like to find a solution (software/system/scheme) to manage all this, with a central library on my desktop computer such that

1) The list of books, and also the actual content syncs to several devices (Mac, iPad, iPhone) and can be read even when network is not present.

2) There is a searchable, convenient database of what books are there.

3) The database can be added to by barcode scanning the ISBN tag on a real book

4) Some entries in the database are linked to full content. That is, I'd enter books that I have in electronic format, but also books from my library that exist only in paper form.

I'm looking for a total solution to manage all my books - list them all, plus enable ready access to the content for the ones I have. I'd like to have it sync to several devices. Does Calibre do some/all of this? Thoughts greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Mike
mlevin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
It does all of this, with the caveats that
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Also, there's no need to crosspost your questions. Deleted your other thread in library management.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I manage my Paperback collection with Calibre.
Use the "Add from ISBN" selection on the Add Books arrow.

There is even a special place there to set the Tag(s) for books added this way. Mine reads <In Paper Library>
I suggest processing in batches of 10-15 so that you can spot and resolve Meta-date look-up failures.
Buy or borrow a 'Keyboard Wedge' configured Laser barcode scanner of the quality of a Symbol 4004 (A Keyboard wedge emulates the keyboard with the scan data. You must place the insert point just like if you were typing it.) Get a USB model unless you only have PS2 ports availble (Converters are slow).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
mlevin77
Enthusiast
mlevin77 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
scanning ISBNs with a barcode scanner into Calibre is dependant on the barcode scanner being able to simulate keyboard input, I think.[/list]
thank you! Is there anyone here who has it working with a scanner app on their iPhone by any chance?
mlevin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert