Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
KMvBC
KMvBC began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, iPhone
Books FROM Kindle App TO Calibre

I am very new at eBook library management.

I have a number of eReader apps on my iPhone and iPad (iBooks, B&N eReader, Kobo, Kindle, and I just downloaded Stanza) which I would like to get the books from those apps to the Calibre library.

I have been searching through the forums and FAQs from Calibre. I have not been able to find anything that I can understand. I am not a programer and need very explicit step by step instructions.

My iBooks are all set, they added to my library very nicely. Seeing them on my iPhone through Stanza doesn't really help getting the other books OFF my iPhone to Calibre.

I also have a Kobo... but let's save those problems for a separate post...

Help, s'il vous plait!
KMvBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMvBC View Post
I have a number of eReader apps on my iPhone and iPad (iBooks, B&N eReader, Kobo, Kindle, and I just downloaded Stanza) which I would like to get the books from those apps to the Calibre library.
One approach for B&N, Kobo and Kindle is to download the same files either directly from your store account to your PC or Mac (B&N and Kobo) or to their PC/Mac app (Kindle). These ebooks will typically have DRM (encryption), and in the case of Kobo and Kindle this means that the files won't be (or might not be) the same as on your iThing because of the encryption. See Apprentice Alf's Blog for more info about DRM.

Once the files have been downloaded they can be imported into Calibre via Add Books. The K4PC files will be in My Documents\My Kindle Content and K4Mac puts them in 'username'/library/application support/kindle/my kindle content
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
KMvBC
KMvBC began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, iPhone
Thanks so much! Of course, now I'm running into DRM issues! Nothing is ever simple, is it?
KMvBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
Scifibookguy
Scifibookguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMvBC View Post
Thanks so much! Of course, now I'm running into DRM issues! Nothing is ever simple, is it?
I can only comment on Kindle books, because that's the only reader I have. But I haven't run into any DRM issues doing things this way...

1. When I purchase a Kindle book from Amazon, I have it download to my Kindle for PC. I take note of the ASIN for the book (e.g. B003KGBH3K).

2. I fire up Calibre and click on the Add Books icon, maneuver to the My Documents\My Kindle Content folder and click on the appropriate book that matches the ASIN.

3. After it's in Calibre I set any metadata that I like, and then upload it to my Kindle through the USB cord.

The important thing to note is that I can also convert the Kindle file in Calibre to, for example, a .mobi, and Calibre processes it just fine. So I think that either Kindle for PC doesn't use any DRM, or Calibre strips it when it imports it.

So you shouldn't have any DRM problems with Kindle books if you download them to Kindle for PC first and then import them to Calibre.
Scifibookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:56 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifibookguy View Post
The important thing to note is that I can also convert the Kindle file in Calibre to, for example, a .mobi, and Calibre processes it just fine. So I think that either Kindle for PC doesn't use any DRM, or Calibre strips it when it imports it.
Out of the box, calibre does not strip DRM, and K4PC does handle DRMed books. Either the books you got from Amazon are free of DRM-infestation (some are), or you are using one of the DRM-stripping tools available (that we can't discuss discuss further on MobileRead).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
Scifibookguy
Scifibookguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Out of the box, calibre does not strip DRM, and K4PC does handle DRMed books. Either the books you got from Amazon are free of DRM-infestation (some are), or you are using one of the DRM-stripping tools available (that we can't discuss discuss further on MobileRead).
I'm not using any add-ons for Calibre, so I must have picked a book with no DRM. I didn't know Amazon had books with no DRM.
Scifibookguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n ereader app, calibre, iphone, kindle app, kobo app