Old 03-04-2023, 03:25 PM   #1
kinoimkeller
kinoimkeller began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350
Pocketbook Era: Books in series missing and duplicate metadata

Hi all

I have two issues with the Pocketbook Era and its library:

Issue (I)
I've been trying in vain to have all books of a series correctly displayed in, some are randomly missing.
  • In Calibre the series info are of course correctly captured.
  • I have fixed the order of the meta tags in the epubs via the "Modify ePub" plugin and then using the option "Remove non:dc metadata elements" and subsequent polishing of the books. (Of course I made sure to remove the ORIGINAL_EPUB version.)
  • The epub in question is v2 (not epub3) which should not lead to any incompatibilities.

More detail:
  • I had a series of six books correctly tagged in Calibre.
  • However, only four would show up in the Era under that series.
  • The other two just won't show up as part of the series.
  • Looking at their .opf in Calibre they have both the relevant series and series_index meta tags stored and correctly formatted, i.e. <meta name="calibre:series" content="MySeries"/> and <meta name="calibre:series_index" content="1.0"/>

Issue (II)
Displaying the library by authors (not series), I have duplicate authors showing up. I.e. I see my five books of author "John Doe" twice, namely as a first entry as "John Doe (2)" and right next to it "John Doe (3)". I am positive that there are no additional blank spaces after the name--everything tagged correctly in Calibre.
However, if I click on "John Doe (2)" all five books show up.

Anyone have any solutions for those issues? Thx
kinoimkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:46 AM   #2
eMole
Zealot
eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD, PocketBook Era
A possible reason: deleting books outside the library app (eg. from a pc) can produce metadata mix-ups especially if you re-add the same books again.
eMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2023, 08:53 AM   #3
kinoimkeller

Thx. However, didn't do any deleting yet--my reader is a couple of weeks old and I'm still setting it up. Funny that Pocketbook has these issues. I had everything working perfectly on my 12-year-old Sony...
Old 03-07-2023, 01:09 AM   #4
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Did you export the ebooks via calibre after aplying the changes to the ebook or did you just copy the files out of the library directory?
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 01:13 AM   #5
eMole
Zealot
eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD, PocketBook Era
All my books are in ePub3 format, I haven't noticed problems with series info, but my usage of the library is very basic. I prepare my reading schedule on PC.

I had problems with the ePub3 reader though, switched to KOReader instead.
eMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2023, 02:32 AM   #6
kinoimkeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
Did you export the ebooks via calibre after aplying the changes to the ebook or did you just copy the files out of the library directory?
Yes: I applied the changes, deleted the ORIGINAL format from within Calibre, checked the meta tags with the inbuilt editor, and export the books using "send to device" in Calibre.

Checking the book details in Pocketbook's library I do not see any series information. When verifying within KOreader they do show up correctly, though! So the info is in the books, and correctly (as I verified in the last step before sending over to the reader).
Old 03-07-2023, 03:34 AM   #7
RolandF
RolandF began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Era
When I had this problem, I convert my EPUB to EPUB with Calibre and it's work
RolandF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 03:57 AM   #8
kinoimkeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandF View Post
When I had this problem, I convert my EPUB to EPUB with Calibre and it's work
Also did that, forgot to mention this above.
Old 10-07-2023, 10:47 AM   #9
Frouxy
Frouxy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O édition 1
Hello,
I have the same issue with a Vivlio inkpad 4. Did anyone find a solution?

Thank you,

Félix
Frouxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 07:27 PM   #10
jrw174
Connoisseur
jrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the rough

Device: PocketBook Era
Try using this custom app. Works for me every time.

https://git.rustysoft.de/martin/PbDbFixer

Go to the Relases tab and download the .app file
Drag the .app file into your Applications folder on the reader
Run the app from the reader
jrw174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 05:00 AM   #11
dustojnikhummer
dustojnikhummer began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 740 InkPad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw174 View Post
Try using this custom app. Works for me every time.

https://git.rustysoft.de/martin/PbDbFixer

Go to the Relases tab and download the .app file
Drag the .app file into your Applications folder on the reader
Run the app from the reader
Holy crap, this worked for me as well. Thanks!
dustojnikhummer is offline   Reply With Quote