Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
Steven630
Groupie
Steven630 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite2
KF8

I have enabled KF8 mobi output in Calibre. I noticed that in "job details" both mobi6 and kf8 are generated. But it turned out that there's only one mobi file. (I was converting an epub book to mobi). Maybe the second one just replaced the first one. Any ideas?
Steven630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's working like it's supposed to... both the MOBI6 version and the KF8 version are contained in one file (two MOBI headers). Just like kindlegen produces. A device/app capable of reading KF8 will read the KF8 portion and a device that's incapable will read the MOBI portion. If you wanted to make two separate stand-alone files... just forget the combined_format tweak and convert twice: once to MOBI and once to AZW3.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
Steven630
Groupie

Thank you. Didn't know that. I thought there would be two separate files.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Steven630
Groupie

By the way, if I choose to convert a file to AZW3, does it mean I get KF8? (And the file would be smaller than what I get right now)
Old 07-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
By the way, if I choose to convert a file to AZW3, does it mean I get KF8? (And the file would be smaller than what I get right now)
Yes. For all practical purposes, an AZW3 is a stand-alone KF8 file... and it will definitely be smaller than the combined mobi/KF8 file (using the same input file, of course). Just be aware that not all devices/apps will be able to read that AZW3 file.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
Steven630
Groupie

Thanks. I use Kindle Touch. So there shouldn't be a problem with that.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yes. For all practical purposes, an AZW3 is a stand-alone KF8 file... and it will definitely be smaller than the combined mobi/KF8 file (using the same input file, of course). Just be aware that not all devices/apps will be able to read that AZW3 file.
Question about this, I'm been trying out Calibre's AZW3 format for use on my Kindle (NT) and it cant' seem to open the book. I have the latest firmware for the 4NT (4.1) which supports KF8 so i'm wondering why I'm unable to open a book in azw3 format?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote