Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #16
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Just for the purpose of a fair comparison, you don't need physical buttons to turn pages - just a slight touch on the KT does the job quite nicely I have never used any buttons except the home button on any of my touch devices.
But my iPad is LCD, Kindle touch is eink. I prefer having both on a eink device. It's a nice bonus.

If the Nook has it, why new Kindle does not? It is clear to me it was because cost reduction, at least, I don't see any other reason.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #17
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
But my iPad is LCD, Kindle touch is eink. I prefer having both on a eink device. It's a nice bonus.

If the Nook has it, why new Kindle does not? It is clear to me it was because cost reduction, at least, I don't see any other reason.
I don't think cost had anything to do with it. Similar to the iPad, you simply do not need buttons to navigate on the Kindle Touch.

Last edited by JoHunt; 12-07-2011 at 09:14 AM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #18
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I don't think cost had anything to do with it. Similar to the iPad, you simply do not need buttons to navigate on the Kindle Touch.
While you and I may be speculating here, buttons increase the actual retail price of the unit. Major software and hardware changes are needed for that, resulting on millions of dollars of R&D and manufacturing cost.

I may be wrong, but lack of buttons on 3G/Touch devices may be cost related.

And again, the iPad is not a dedicated ereader, is a tablet, and LCD device not eink. I would not compare or justify the lack of page turn buttons using iPad as example, in my personal opinion.

Last edited by jocampo; 12-07-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
While you and I may be speculating here, buttons increase the actual retail price of the unit. Major software and hardware changes are needed for that, resulting on millions of dollars of R&D and manufacturing cost.

I may be wrong, but lack of buttons on 3G/Touch devices may be cost related.

And again, the iPad is not a dedicated ereader, is a tablet, and LCD device not eink. I would not compare or justify the lack of page turn buttons using iPad as example, in my personal opinion.
Having been extremely sceptical about the lack of buttons on the Kindle Touch, I have to admit that I'm now a convert. The Touch interface works extremely well, and for page turning all you need to is leave a finger on the edge of the bezel, and use a slight rolling motion to barely brush the screen in order to turn the page. It works exceptionally well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #20
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Having been extremely sceptical about the lack of buttons on the Kindle Touch, I have to admit that I'm now a convert. The Touch interface works extremely well, and for page turning all you need to is leave a finger on the edge of the bezel, and use a slight rolling motion to barely brush the screen in order to turn the page. It works exceptionally well.
You bough a touch Kindle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.... did not know that ... ...

Here are my reasons (very personal) why I still prefer the Kindle keyboard

-Lack of landscape
-No options for buttons
-Restricted ability to browse some websites

Not sure if #1 and #3 were fixed via software and I don't own one. So those two are based on what I read and the time I played with it in Target store here in USA.

I don't mind touch screen, but I also like buttons. But the main reason I am not buying one at this moment, is the lack of landscape mode. It is difficult for me to read some computer books in portrait, can't read the T-SQL code very well.

The feature that still puts the Kindle ahead Nook, at least internationally, is the 3G stuff. I can't use a Nook in Colombia (online store I mean, or download books I have on the cloud) , unless I find wifi. And trust me, wifi is common un Europe and USA, but some latin countries we're 5 or 10 years behind technology. Just to give you an idea, we're getting iTunes just now, after how many years, 10? ... lol ...

Last edited by jocampo; 12-07-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You bough a touch Kindle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.... did not know that ... ...
Yes, indeed. A kind MR member in the US was nice enough to mail me one from there.

Quote:
Here are my reasons (very personal) why I still prefer the Kindle keyboard

-Lack of landscape
-No options for buttons
-Restricted ability to browse some websites
If those factors are important for you, then I completely agree that the KT would not be the right device for you.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #22
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm glad to hear that the Touch is working for you, Harry. My only concern would be the lack of Landscape. I don't very often need it, but when you do have to deal with a PDF it can help. OTOH, I suspect that is the sort of thing that might show up in a software release?
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #23
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm glad to hear that the Touch is working for you, Harry. My only concern would be the lack of Landscape. I don't very often need it, but when you do have to deal with a PDF it can help. OTOH, I suspect that is the sort of thing that might show up in a software release?
Hopefully!

I "can live" without buttons. I can even compromise if some websites are restricted on the 3G version. But landscape is an important feature for me.

Actually, I may reconsider and "taste the flavors and scents" of a new Kindle Touch device .... if landscape is later included via firmware upgrade.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #24
monkeygirl351
Connoisseur
monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, ipad, and kindle 3
Wow lots of good info! Thanks guys! Anyways, I've been doing alot of comparing and stuff and I think honestly that the nook ST has the better user interface. I am a devout kindle fan and love my kindle to pieces but I think that my sister would like the Nook better. The home page has easy access to book being currently read, other books in the library ect. Plus it has book covers. even though they are in gray scale, I still think it is kinda cool to see, and I think that she would be impressed. Now I can navigate my kindle like nothing, but the Nook just seems easier to get back to the home page ect. It also has the page turn buttons which might be useful to her. It doesn't have audio, but she doesn't listen to audio books and does have an ipod for music ect.
As to the book sharing. even if we got her the Nook, I crack all my books so if I had something she was interested in, I could convert it and send it to her. My brother doesn't crack his but since he has a nook I think he could still do the lending thing. I also think that she could shop more stores as more carry epubs than mobis. She could shop kobo, bandn, smashwords ect. Options are always good. She reads lots of classics, philosophy, history ect. Not usually bestsellers or mainstream reads. I looked at her goodreads account though and most of the books she has on there are available at all the stores. She lives in San Francisco and am not sure how the library stacks up ebook wise so would be curious to find out. I am going to talk to my brother and parents this weekend and probably get it next week. Also we are going to get a giftcard, case and maybe a power charger as it looks like the $99 dollar ones don't come with a wallcharger. I do have a spare kindle charger that puts out 5 volts I wonder if that would work with a Nook ST?
Anyways thanks for the help guys and Merry Christmas!

Becky
monkeygirl351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:24 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Becky,

Please forgive the comment, but the abbreviation for "et cetera" is "etc.", not "ect." .
Old 12-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #26
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
When I first bought a Nook STR, I thought the page turning buttons were cool, albeit a bit tough. But then I discovered that a slight tap on the left or right edge of the screen would do as well. Since then I stopped using the buttons.
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #27
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
When I first bought a Nook STR, I thought the page turning buttons were cool, albeit a bit tough. But then I discovered that a slight tap on the left or right edge of the screen would do as well. Since then I stopped using the buttons.
I've had a Nook ST for about a week now. I find the buttons are too stiff to use all the time. OTOH, tapping the screen lightly is very easy. The only time I have trouble is when I hold the reader in my left hand and try to use it one handed. Then I have to revert to using the buttons.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:42 AM   #28
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
If she doesn't like conversions and goes to different bookstores, go for the Nook. For kindle your tied to Amazon and for Nook you can buy from any store that sells ePUB's, even the more obscure ones.
If she has no objection to conversion when required and removal of DRM, the Kindle would also be fine.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
If she doesn't like conversions and goes to different bookstores, go for the Nook. For kindle your tied to Amazon and for Nook you can buy from any store that sells ePUB's, even the more obscure ones.
If she has no objection to conversion when required and removal of DRM, the Kindle would also be fine.
There are lots of stores that sell Mobi books that can be read on the Kindle. Eg, I buy numerous books from Baen.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #30
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
You are not tied up to Amazon at all. I have lot of free DRM books on my Kindle from other stores, legally bought. It just requires a book in MOBI format instead of AZW.

On a Kindke you can even read free DRM ePub books via Calibre conversion. I've done that as well without any issues, takes 60 seconds via Calibre.