Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
Do You Still Carry a PDA?

Not another crazy wigged out poll, just a simple discussion thread.

After I got the Sony Reader with the great screen I exported all of the junk in the PDA to a RTF file and loaded it on the reader. Sure the phone numbers were already on the cell phone but a lot more were on the PDA with addresses and fax numbers and emails.

Now I edit the RTF and download it every now and then to the reader. works great.

Anyone else done this?
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:05 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Not me, I actually bought my Pilot to be a ... well, to be a PDA, crazy as that sounds.

I only resorted to reading on it in the first place because there wasn't a better choice.

Now that I have one, the Pilot is actually primarily a PDA again. Go figure.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:53 AM   #3
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Now that I have one, the Pilot is actually primarily a PDA again. Go figure.
Same here. I rarely look at PDFs (even with the Reader's lackluster support for them) on my Axim x30 now. I keep PIM/schedulling stuff on it, in addition to news reading (AvantGo + WiFi). It'd be cool if someone haxxored the Reader and made it possible to have PIM-like abilities for it as well, but I'm not gonna hold my breath... at least while my x30 still breathes.
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:09 AM   #4
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Well, I don't carry my PDA anymore. My phone has adequate PIM functionality.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:56 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I used my Dell Axim X50v almost exclusively for reading e-books before I bought a dedicated e-book device (the Reader). Ever since I haven't read a single page on the PDA anymore. However, around the same time I bought a Bluetooth GPS mouse, and now I am using the Axim exclusively as a mobile GPS device
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:57 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I still use my HP iPaq 4900 as a PDA. Wouldn't be without it. I not only use it for Calendar/Address Book/Tasks type functionality, but also have a number of essential applications running on it.

I don't read on it any more, though; the Reader's for that .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:32 AM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I still use my Treo 700p as my primary device. I read a lot on it also. It's always with me, and it's nice to use when reading in bed because it's easy to hold and has a backlight and is easy on the eyes. (For me it is, but others might disagree because of the backlight.)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:45 AM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
I still use my Treo 700p as my primary device. I read a lot on it also. It's always with me, and it's nice to use when reading in bed because it's easy to hold and has a backlight and is easy on the eyes. (For me it is, but others might disagree because of the backlight.)
Ditto with my Palm TX. Love my Sony Reader but it doesn't fit into my shirt pocket.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:35 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
GPS mouse
Heh, that still makes me laugh.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:59 AM   #10
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda
Ditto with my Palm TX. Love my Sony Reader but it doesn't fit into my shirt pocket.
I have my work pants tailored with roomy pockets and my Sony Reader slips right in.

My Motorola Ming takes excellent care of my PIMing needs.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #11
cats
cats began at the beginning.

Device: TX
still using my TX to play small game, PIM, and read e-book while backlight is needed.
cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:54 PM   #12
lint
Enthusiast
lint has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader
Duke I have done the same thing. Although i have never owned a PDA, i did setup a nice RTF file with all of my family and friends contact info on it. It works nicely on my Reader.

-lint
lint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #13
ddoyle777
ddoyle777 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
I still use a PDA because I have so many books in the Palm Reader (eReader) format. I'd love a conversion program and for eReader to use a Sony format. I prefer reading on the Sony above all I own.
ddoyle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:25 PM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Sounds like a plan I should try. My cell is a Samsung i500 with a Palm OS 4. I never put all of the contact numbers in it as that made dialing a pain. This might be a good solution. Thanks.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:45 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoyle777
I'd love a conversion program and for eReader to use a Sony format.
Ask and you shall receive: the Amber Palm Converter application is freeware, and will get you as far as RTF format.

If you just have to have BBeB (LRF) format, then there are a number of utilities referenced around the board that will do that for you.