Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
Fred Apple
Fred Apple began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Utouch
Unable to view Book

Have been trying to view one book on my e-reader (Kobo Touch - latest firmware installed) but when the book loads it goes to page one then after a short time the screen reverts to the power up screen. In the library page, it shows that the book is finished reading.
The original format of the book was “PRC”, I have converted to “EPUB” using Calibre (0.9.15) with no luck. I tried converting to “txt” format then using “Word” to clean the book up (formatting, line spacing etc.) saving as “txt” again but using UTF-8 coding, then converting back into EPUB. I thought the cover was giving me problems so I converted with no cover and with cover, then loading back onto Kobo. I get the same results goes to page one, then back to the power up screen. I have converted other books with no problems just this one book.
I hope somebody can help me out as I would like to read this book.
Fred Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Apple View Post
Have been trying to view one book on my e-reader (Kobo Touch - latest firmware installed) but when the book loads it goes to page one then after a short time the screen reverts to the power up screen. In the library page, it shows that the book is finished reading.
If there are no copyright issues with the book, could you attach it to a message here so we can take a look at it. Likely to be the easiest way of seeing what the problem is.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When you view the library on the Touch, what format does it show for the book? In Library view the format should show up on the bottom line?

Have you been dropping the book before re-adding it? It's safest to drop the book either from the device itself, or via calibre but if via calibre be sure to eject the Touch before re-adding it.

PRC is not actually a format; PRC is a container and often would have contained MOBI format books.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Fred Apple

To DNSB - Sorry copyright issue apply.
To PeterT - I have used both Calibre and the Kobo to deleted the book from the library. Then did as you suggest when I deleted using Calibre. The library shows a "EPUB" format.
Added information: Calibre has no problem viewing the book in any format. Also I forget about this: Once I select the book from the power up screen, it goes to the book on page one, but nothing on the screen, then select the next page, then it reverts to power up screen. I hope the extra information helps.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Without seeing the book, this is always hard. It sounds like there was a conversion problem with going from PRC to epub. And that when that version was put on your Touch and then removed, it hasn't been cleaned up properly.

A few things I would try are:

- Open the ePub book with Sigil or use ePubCheck (not sure if that's the right name) to see if there are any errors. If you makes changes in Sigil an save them, make sure you delete the epub from the Touch before sending it over again.

- Change the title or author in the calibre metadata and then use "Save to disk" to get the ePub to the device. It doesn't matter if you save directly to the device or to the PC and copy it over manually. The idea is to make sure the file name of the ePub is different so that the device sees it as a different book. The change to the title or author will make sure you can find it on the device.

- Log out of the device and then back in. This will put a new database on the device. Unfortunately, you will lose the reading status of any sideloaded books and will need to redownload the kepubs.

- Do a factory reset. This should be overkill, but, it is also likely to solve the problem. After doing this you will need to put your sideloaded books on again and download the kepubs.

If you want, you can send me the database from the device and the book or put them somewhere to download. Then I can have a look through them and hopefully see what the issue is. Send me a PM for my address, or the download location if you do it that way.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
Fred Apple

After deleting book from e-reader, then connecting to computer using Win Explorer made sure everything was delete. Then had Calibre send the book to the device from the PRC (MOBI) and converting on the fly and then had the same problem occured. Just for the fun I grabbed the spouse's Kobo Touch and did the same as above. Well the book appeared I could read it with no problems. It is a partial solution, now I just have to fight spouse for her reader.
Before you ask what are the difference:
Spouse Device Info: Software 1.9.9 (R31493, 8/19/11, Mac Add; 00:01:36:FC:E6:B3
Mine Device Info: Software 2.3.1 (R45611, 12/7/12, Mac Add; 00:01:36:FD:52:1A
That is all the difference I saw on the device information page.

Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
Geenween
Enthusiast
Geenween began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Energy reader Pro+
Same with Glo

Hello!

I happened on this thread looking for an answer with a similar problem with my Kobo Glo (firmware version .31): the reader opens the book, but when I try to turn the page it acts as though I was creating a bookmark on the page (the little angle folding at the top right) and goes straight to the home.

The ebook I'm using is for free download, so I've attached it if you need looking at it.

I've also attached a Northanger Abbey epub from Proj. Gutenberg as it does the same thing, but only when I use the index to go straight to a certain chapter. If I turn the pages manually it works like a charm.

Both books were transferred trough Calibre.

Hope it helps figuring out the bug.

Attached Files
File Type: epub New Babel - Laura Schirru.epub (547.9 KB, 190 views)
File Type: epub Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen.epub (182.9 KB, 181 views)
Geenween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geenween View Post
I happened on this thread looking for an answer with a similar problem with my Kobo Glo (firmware version .31): the reader opens the book, but when I try to turn the page it acts as though I was creating a bookmark on the page (the little angle folding at the top right) and goes straight to the home.
This book seems fine on my Glo with firmware 2.3.2. I have paged through from beginning to end, and can adjust the margins, linespacing, justification and fonts. The only oddity is that there is no table of contents. Maybe someone else with firmware 2.3.1 could try it?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
2.3.1 on a Glo here, and New Babel behaved perfectly on my device too. Same thing; adjusted all layout/font parameters, paged through from start to end. I can also create a bookmark with a top-right-tap without it flipping to home.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #10
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I tried the Northanger Abbey book. There was a problem with the table of contents: the links took me to a page or so before the chapter. This happened in Calibre's ebook-viewer too. Apart from going to the wrong page, using the TOC links didn't cause the book to close or any other problem that I noticed.

I would try deleting the books and reloading them, and if that didn't help then you could try logging out of your account (from the Glo's Settings-->Account page) to rebulld the Glo's database, in case it has been corrupted somehow. Not sure what else to suggest, short of a full factory reset.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
turning the page and having the corner bookmark and the book close is what the book does when you finish it.

i've had a similar problem where it did this after flipping from the first page...i believe there was an error in the book and it believed the book was only one page long. sounds to me like it is the same thing happening...so the bookmarking is not relevant....it is just that it either can't tell that the book is longer, or the whole book wasn't loaded onto your reader.

i can't remember how i solved it other than putting books on and off and possibly signing in and out of my kobo account and then reloading all my books. it happened when i was still figuring out my reader and hadn't done a lot of actual reading on it. but if taking on and off doesn't work, i would definitely recommend signing in and out of your account. though that does take a bit of time to get books back on.

edit: oops...GeoffR already gave the same recommendation...so ... +1 to that
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote