Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-23-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
CraftingGrandma
Enthusiast
CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Sony 650
Author field help

I want the word "and" to show up instead of changing it to the ampersand and making two authors.

Example: I have some pdfs of patterns created by my Sewing group and want the author listed as: "Sewing and Knitting group" I want it to treat the and as part of the name, just like if it were another name like Dave or Sally.

Is there any way I can do that?
CraftingGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftingGrandma View Post
I want the word "and" to show up instead of changing it to the ampersand and making two authors.

Example: I have some pdfs of patterns created by my Sewing group and want the author listed as: "Sewing and Knitting group" I want it to treat the and as part of the name, just like if it were another name like Dave or Sally.

Is there any way I can do that?
I don't know if you can stop the and changing to a & but you could try alternatives like:

Sewing -n- Knitting group
Sewing / Knitting group
Sewing_and_Knitting group
Sewing-and-Knitting group

Or put Various in the author field and Sewing and Knitting Group as Publisher

Good Luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-23-2011 at 01:39 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
CraftingGrandma
Enthusiast
CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

That's too bad I would have liked to have the "and" Oh well. Thank you for your help, I'll try one of your suggestions.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
That's too bad I would have liked to have the "and" Oh well. Thank you for your help, I'll try one of your suggestions.
Part of the problem is you have 2 Authors (look in the Tag Browser: Authors: S, K).
They are 1)Sewing 2)Knitting Group
Calibre can't tell the difference between t your group and Joe and Katie Smith (which I believe will also not parse correctly )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
CraftingGrandma
Enthusiast

With the new release (0.8.18) I noticed this under "New Features":

# When automatically generating author sort for author name, ignore common prefixes like Mr. Dr. etc. Controllable via tweak. Also add a tweak to allow control of how a string is split up into multiple authors.

Closes tickets: 795984 [External link]

http://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new

The link lead to this:

Bug Description

I would like the option for extra author sorting options.

2 functions I would like to have are:
1. add split operators
At this moment you can split by & and and. I would like to add personal split functions like ; / , | and the local word for and
2. add sorting prefixes. At this moment it is possible to add suffixes like PhD etc. It would be nice to have the option to add Prefixes as well (like Prof.) It would be able to add single and multiple words (e.g. Prof. Dr.).

https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/795984

Does this mean there is some way to tell it to only use the'&' symbol to create separate authors and allow me to use the word 'and' with out having it create a separate author?

If so, could someone explain how to do that? And if not, could someone please explain what this new feature does do then, I'm just a little confused?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Does this mean there is some way to tell it to only use the'&' symbol to create separate authors and allow me to use the word 'and' with out having it create a separate author?

If so, could someone explain how to do that? And if not, could someone please explain what this new feature does do then, I'm just a little confused?
Yes, Go to Preferences - Tweaks (you might have to scroll down) got to the tweak titled

Splitting multiple author names

The bottom right pane will show:

Code:
# Splitting multiple author names

authors_split_regex = '(?i),?\\s+(and|with)\\s+'
If you change it to

Code:
# Splitting multiple author names

authors_split_regex = '(?i),?\\s+(with)\\s+'
and hit apply and restart calibre.

Then it will not use the word and to split authors.

I'm relatively sure this was created with you in mind.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-09-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
CraftingGrandma
Enthusiast

dwanthny,

Thank you for helping and thank you for making the instructions so easy!

My, I hope it was made just for me. I didn't want to cause trouble.

Also, I get the general idea of what is happening with the word code thing I type in the box, but I don't totally understand it. Maybe you could help with something else?

I also would like to take the "with" out of the options. Would I just delete all of the words and leave the box blank since there will be no words left that are replaced or would I just delete the word "with" and leave the rest like this:

authors_split_regex = '(?i),?\\s+()\\s+'

Now whether I leave it blank or need to put some other 'thing' in the box, is my thinking correct in that the only way to make multiple authors would then be with the '&' symbol? That's what I want.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I also would like to take the "with" out of the options. Would I just delete all of the words and leave the box blank since there will be no words left that are replaced or would I just delete the word "with" and leave the rest like this:

I do as you are doing and try it, restart calibre and see what happens. You can always go back.

Quote:
Now whether I leave it blank or need to put some other 'thing' in the box, is my thinking correct in that the only way to make multiple authors would then be with the '&' symbol? That's what I want.
That's my understanding.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
CraftingGrandma
Enthusiast

I'm a big fan of test and try, but when it comes to the inner working of computer stuff I'm a little scared of completely breaking it. You're sure I can't screw things up too bad?
Old 09-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I'm a big fan of test and try, but when it comes to the inner working of computer stuff I'm a little scared of completely breaking it. You're sure I can't screw things up too bad?
I think you'll be fine with that change, but to feel safer copy your library to another location as a backup then try the change. You can always change it back if strange things happen.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
CraftingGrandma
Enthusiast

Thanks, I tired it out and this seems to work:

Now I can have all the 'with' and 'and' words in my author filed that I want.

Thank you for your help and holding this old lady's hand.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Thank you for your help and holding this old lady's hand.
You're Welcome, us 50+ folks have to stick together.