Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #61
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I think it is helpful when people say negative things about a brand of device for the person also to disclose it when they have no personal experience with them.
Point taken. I should have been more clear about not being an owner, but most of my information is based on recent posts on this forum (which I have no reason to distrust). I had not seen any contrary information on the particular point of gamification opt-out, so I assumed it was still valid. As I mentioned I actually intend to buy one, and I tend do be scrupulous about doing research. I can also get a bit carried away, but it was not my intention to mislead anyone

Quote:
That being said, I have always thought that it was pretty great that Kobo has NOT obfuscated or encrypted their firmware thus allowing hacking.
While it is positive that they apparently tolerate it (as they have not taken steps to stop it), the lack of explicit support for it means that it's not something they care about. HTC and Samsung, for instance, provide means of unlocking their phones at the owner's risk, thereby giving their blessing to hacking while taking no responsibility for consequences. It would be very easy for Kobo to take a similar approach, but they haven't done so. I guess that Kobo won't close the FW update loophole in the future, but I don't really trust any company to do the right (and sensible) thing.

That said, I just booked tickets for a concert in Aylesbury outside of London in november, and I'll probably buy the new Kobo Aura while I'm there, so maybe I should just shut up
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #62
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Why oh why Kobo have you diffused the workload of your staff by putting out so many darn ereaders et al at once .... sheesh

Concentrate on a few quality products Kobo, that is - quality hardware (firmware) and software.

There's no prizes for having so many choices of the same/similar product on the market that the ordinary ebook consumer can't really understand the differences and therefore choice they make.

Sure - someone who understands all the gumph in the specs may be able to work it out (after they've spreadsheeted it) but not the ordinary Joanna and Jo Blogs.
Quote:
It remains to be seen how different the actual FW is from one device to another.

Quality is the key
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert