Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Howdy from Texas

I'm new to the ebooks idea but find I REALLY want one, now. My problem will be convincing my hubby I NEED one. My college classes for my major are now eBook, but they are in PDF form, and from what I can tell that doesn't work too well with readers. *sigh*

I live in Texas, where I am working in a school and going to class online to get my teaching degree. As you can tell from my name, I am married to a coach.

I'm leaning toward the new Sony's but am not sure. I've pretty much ruled out Kindle, the wireless connection to the Amazon shop wouldn't work where I live, anyway.

mrscoach
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi mrscoach and welcome to MobileRead. I've had a Sony 505 since Jan 08 and really like it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi mrscoach, welcome to MR!

Just tell your nubby that everyone on MR says you need one. Now. That oughtta do it!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Howdy! I'm also in TX, in Sanger which is between Denton and the OK border on I-35. Where are you located? PDF files pose a problem for book readers primarily because the producer of the PDF is formatting for an 8.5x11 piece of paper and not for a "book" page and certainly not for a 6-inch diagonal reader screen. The Kindle DX or the new Sony Daily Edition might be a reasonable device for your PDF course books. You don't *need* the cellular connection in either device and you aren't at too much of a disadvantage if you live outside the coverage area.

We're so glad you've joined us at MobileRead. Let us know what you decide to buy and what you're reading!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Welcome here. I'm in DFW and use a Bebook (Hanlin). PDF's are a problem, and I don;t have a good answer. You might be better off with some type of Tablet PC...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Hi Mrscoach! Welcome to Mobile Read!
I hope you find the reader that suits your needs!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

SomehowI think I deleted the post I just typed. Anyway, I live in a little town called Iraan, just off I10 about an hour east of Ft. Stockton. Or you could call it about 3 1/2 hours west of San Antonio. Either way, it's the middle of nowhere.

Can you believe we only received cell service last July? Alltel had to put a tower in town for it to work, and they had to work YEARS to get Alltel to agree. There are so many ranches and oilwells, and now windmills, that they finally agreed. And they don't share the tower. AT&T gets zero service here, along with all the other carriers. It's Verizon (since the buyout) or nothing around here. And 3G? Forget it. I mean, the wireless ability on a reader might be nice, but useless around here. I am thinking of the 700 just for the size, since I could turn it sideways to use. I'll just have to see, and try to save up my birthday and Christmas money.

That makes me sound like a youngster, but I'm going to college, my son is taking college classes in high school and we had to buy him a vehicle, and my daughter just totaled her truck two nights ago. She's just got a bruised up face, but there's another car payment we'll have to make. *sigh* doens't look good on the reader front.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
mrscoach
Guru

Ack! I said I was thinking of the 700, but I meant the new Daily Edition, or whatever it is called. I'll just have to wait until later this year and see what is said about it. Plus I still have questions for my school on whether or not I can even load the books on some sort of reader. They can't give me a straight answer.

It would just be SO convenient to be able to read on trips and at work without dragging out the laptop. I guess I'll keep asking questions, both about readers and about my eBooks for class.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:36 PM   #9
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter

Device: sony 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
I'm new to the ebooks idea but find I REALLY want one, now. My problem will be convincing my hubby I NEED one. My college classes for my major are now eBook, but they are in PDF form, and from what I can tell that doesn't work too well with readers. *sigh*

I live in Texas, where I am working in a school and going to class online to get my teaching degree. As you can tell from my name, I am married to a coach.

I'm leaning toward the new Sony's but am not sure. I've pretty much ruled out Kindle, the wireless connection to the Amazon shop wouldn't work where I live, anyway.

mrscoach
Hi Mrs. Coach -
As someone who reads a lot of PDF books, I do have a tiny bit of input regarding the Sony 600.

As long as the PDF is text, it resizes and reflows nicely. The only time I have difficulty is when I have a table or something else - then going horizontal and using the zoom feature helps a lot.

Until Friday when the 600 arrived - I did most of my PDF reading on my Laptop which worked (and still works) nicely. I downloaded the free Sony Software for the reader and checked out my books inside of it. The fact that the ones I use worked well was a key factor in my decision to buy the actual reader. It's nice to have something small to carry around.

I suggest you try the software on your computer first. If it doesn't work there, it won't work well on a Reader ...

And welcome!!!
Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #10
mrscoach
Guru

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know I could use the Sony software to check out the textbook. I'll go try that now.

Do I get the software from the Sony site?
Old 08-30-2009, 01:03 AM   #11
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Hey mrscoach, and welcome. I read pdfs all the time on my 505, and most of them work just fine. As for value, my Reader has paid for itself many times with free ebooks.

You can get the software from the Sony site. Also, I would recommend that if/when you get your device that you download calibre (free software) and use it to manage your ebooks instead of Sony's software. Calibre can also be used to convert pdf's to lrf's (Reader format). Most turn out pretty well. Just every once in a while I get a hold of a pdf that just doesn't flow right on my 505.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #12
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, mrscoach!

I'm the daughter, sister and aunt of coaches, so we should get along just fine! I don't read many pdf's but I do love my readers, especially my Sony 700, and am planning on purchasing the new Sony 600 soon. You can always tell your husband what I tell mine when I want something new. If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

Happy Reading.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote