Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #16
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
By the way, that cable looks incredible with so many adapters! Is there a simpler one since I don't need to hook up so many devices for charging?
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #17
hieubg
hieubg began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
Just so that I don't damage anything, when I use that PSP cable plugged into a USB charger, do I plug the USB cable into the PRS-700's USB port for charging, or do I plug the DC cable into the PRS-700's AC/DC port, or I do both?
You need to plug the DC cable to the reader, i plug usb cable to reader it say the "USB connected" but the charging light still off. And i also use that cable with my external battery for iphone and it worked so i think that any usb charger will work if you have the cable for PSP like the one in my post or gokalp's post
hieubg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #18
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, hieubg. Helpful information!

By the way, I found the ideal (for me) USB PRS-700 charging cable, but they're out of stock! It's a retractable cable.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4383
Old 03-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #19
gokalp
gokalp began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 700
With that cable, you only need to connect the PSP DC power supply connection to the reader, and not the mini USB connection. This way, you tap into the USB 5V bus power without connecting the USB data lines. If you need to put some books, you connect the mini-usb instead

Note that on some (most) computers you can only drain 100mA without the device handshaking with the computer. Once you handshake, you can get up to 500mA. With the USB power supplies, they give 500mA (usually) per port without handshaking.

And yes, there are cables with lesser connections, you can check out dealextreme, go into "video games>psp". You can also find cables in brick and mortar stores (bestbuy etc.) but they usually charge more than $15.

I actually got the version with ipod connector, but the ipod connector does not work
gokalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #20
gokalp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieubg View Post
You need to plug the DC cable to the reader, i plug usb cable to reader it say the "USB connected" but the charging light still off. And i also use that cable with my external battery for iphone and it worked so i think that any usb charger will work if you have the cable for PSP like the one in my post or gokalp's post
That happens sometimes. Technically, the charging light should light up with every USB cable, but some cables (esp the ones without the balun) cannot transfer power efficiently, which is weird because it is DC power, so no AC issues there
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you purchase a PSP AC adapter, you can charge your Reader much faster and you can also use your Reader while it is charging.

My wife has a USB wall wart for her iPod Touch and it does not work with my 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #22
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

From what I can discern from the posts above, you'll need to use the USB to DC plug cable and not USB to USB. The USB to DC plug cable looks like this

Notice how one end is the USB plug which plugs into the USB charger. The other end is a DC plug tip which plugs into the AC/DC port of your PRS-700 NOT the USB port of the PRS-700
Old 03-11-2009, 12:04 AM   #23
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Quote:
It is a cool charger. It's very small, about the size of a little cube. Here's another profile image of the adapter and you can see why if this little charger work, it's very good for the PRS-700.

As promised, I tested the Apple USB adapter and surprise surprise, the
charging would NOT start!! It appears there is a regulator
inside that senses the input source. USB voltage from a laptop is different
than that of a USB connected to Household outlet. This would explain
why USB charging takes longer than a dedicated AC adapter.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:15 AM   #24
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Server View Post
Did you plug it into the USB port of the Sony or the AC/DC port of the Sony 700? Post #2 says that it works, to the contrary of your experience.

I also have a USB charger myself, but I don't have a cable that goes from USB plug to AC/DC plug. Besides, I don't have a PRS-700 yet.

From what I can discern, people are saying that using the USB plug to AC/DC plug works.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #25
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Thumbs down

Quote:
Did you plug it into the USB port of the Sony or the AC/DC port of the Sony 700? Post #2 says that it works, to the contrary of your experience.

I also have a USB charger myself, but I don't have a cable that goes from USB plug to AC/DC plug. Besides, I don't have a PRS-700 yet.

From what I can discern, people are saying that using the USB plug to AC/DC plug works.

The apple USB adapter was used with the SONY USB cable,
so to answer your question, it was plugged into the mini
USB port of the reader. I would imagine that the AC/USB
version would work because its voltage input requirements
are the same as the source output. ie. Mini-USB to USB/AC
no go, but AC to USB/AC should work as mentioned earlier.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #26
gokalp

Quote:
The apple USB adapter was used with the SONY USB cable,
so to answer your question, it was plugged into the mini
USB port of the reader. I would imagine that the AC/USB
version would work because its voltage input requirements
are the same as the source output. ie. Mini-USB to USB/AC
no go, but AC to USB/AC should work as mentioned earlier.
On this note, I noticed something yesterday. I used my USB wall charger, and when I plugged into miniUSB it did not light up the charging indicator, but when I connected to DC port (with the same cable) it worked.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #27
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Thanks, Server and gokalp! Your experiments are much appreciated!

I'm all the more convinced now that I should get the Apple USB charger. I like its small size. I can easily get the USB to AC/DC plug cable, no problem.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #28
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
If the 700 use the new USB charging standard then it will trickle charge from a computer and charge properly if you use an USB charger that is according to the standard (it has D+ and D- on the 700 side short circuited). I think this standard is for micro USB so if the 700 use mini USB maybe it does not follow this standard.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks, Server and gokalp! Your experiments are much appreciated!

I'm all the more convinced now that I should get the Apple USB charger. I like its small size. I can easily get the USB to AC/DC plug cable, no problem.
Unless you know what the output is of the AC plug is, I'd stay away from risking damaging your Sony.

a PSP AC Adapter is known to work. So get one of those.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #30
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Unless you know what the output is of the AC plug is, I'd stay away from risking damaging your Sony.

a PSP AC Adapter is known to work. So get one of those.
Eh, if it is USB you know what the voltage is. Are you saying that the USB specification allows voltage that can hurt a Sony reader?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote