Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #166
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Sadly yes!
I was afraid of that. I'm getting my replacement today. If it's just as bad as the original, I'm going to return both. Unfortunately I don't have my KT anymore.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #167
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Here is a photo of my replacement PW form a few minutes ago. You can see how it is getting bad.
Not good. I guess if it was me I'd be done with the PW after that, are you going to send it back? Try for another replacement?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #168
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Question: My original PW order (the one I paid for) has disappeared from my order history. If I click on the order link in the original email confirmation, it takes me to the generic "My orders" page. I only have the REPLACEMENT order listed, which of course cost $0.00. If I decide to call it on this whole stupid thing, anyone know what the process will be to get my actual money back?

Maybe my original order will re-appear once I ship back the original faulty unit.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #169
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Ugh. That's awful.

I'm shipping back PW #1 this week, will give PW #2 a few days to see if it develops any more blotches or weirdness, or if I can't live with the shadowing it has, or if Amazon comes out with a statement or anything. I'm getting to the end of my willingness to invest time and angst into this situation, though, so I won't be trying for any more replacements.

I'd encourage those of you with multiple bad units to contact the tech news outlet of your choice (Engadget/Gizmodo/etc), and to post the pics to Amazon's customer images for the product. I know there is a certain segment of internet posters who think this is all an overreaction, but if I was a new, uninformed buyer informing myself, I would very much appreciate having this info available. (And if I had waited a week, wouldn't have bothered buying one.)
Ditto! [Color effect added to simulate PW screen. ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
I was afraid of that. I'm getting my replacement today. If it's just as bad as the original, I'm going to return both. Unfortunately I don't have my KT anymore.
Thankfully I kept my Touch as it looks like it is time to be done with the PW.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #170
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Speaking of marketing BS, this is on the Paperwhite page at Amazon.

Yeah that is definitely Photoshopped!!
I have to say though the K4S in that pic looks exactly like mine. Shades and all.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #171
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Question: My original PW order (the one I paid for) has disappeared from my order history. If I click on the order link in the original email confirmation, it takes me to the generic "My orders" page. I only have the REPLACEMENT order listed, which of course cost $0.00. If I decide to call it on this whole stupid thing, anyone know what the process will be to get my actual money back?

Maybe my original order will re-appear once I ship back the original faulty unit.
When did you order your original PW? If you ordered if back in September it might not be showing since it only shows orders in the last 30 days by default. If you change it to show orders further back, is it still not listed?

I wouldn't worry about it either way really, it's won't be a problem getting a refund, they'll know you ordered it.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #172
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
When did you order your original PW? If you ordered if back in September it might not be showing since it only shows orders in the last 30 days by default. If you change it to show orders further back, is it still not listed?

I wouldn't worry about it either way really, it's won't be a problem getting a refund, they'll know you ordered it.
Good point. Mine wasn't showing either since I ordered on Sept 8, but it shows when I display orders for the past 6 months.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #173
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post

Er, yes, you're right on both counts.

Quote:
Ditto! [Color effect added to simulate PW screen. ]
Hah!

My PW#1 has sort of a smooth "C"-shaped cloud of blue from bottom to top, with pink around it. PW#2's more defining artifact is a pink shape that reminds of the Mississippi river surrounding New Orleans. Or possibly an intestine. In the interest of fair reporting, though, the light must be all the way up on PW#2 to see it, at least while sitting in my office.

Last edited by Trauma Doll; 10-09-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #174
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
I read on Amazon.com that one who gave 1 star gave 4 or rather wanted to give 4.5 stars (which is not possible) after he updated the firmware.
My question to the PW owners, what firmware do you have currently installed? Are the issues you are having firmware related rather than hardware?
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #175
ultimatejimmy
Enthusiast
ultimatejimmy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite (coming soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post
I read on Amazon.com that one who gave 1 star gave 4 or rather wanted to give 4.5 stars (which is not possible) after he updated the firmware.
My question to the PW owners, what firmware do you have currently installed? Are the issues you are having firmware related rather than hardware?
It doesn't look like there is updated firmware for the PW yet on Amazon.com. Unless they only pushed it out to some users and didn't post for manual download....
ultimatejimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #176
Trauma Doll
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post
EDIT: My color-blobby unit is 5.2.0. So is my less-color-blobby one. I'm sure my issues are hardware but I'd certainly try new firmware. I assumed it's pushed, though, it's not like we can force it?
Old 10-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #177
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
I found a review on amazon.com under 1 star reviews. When you scroll down to the only 4 star review (in the 1 star section) by "whositwhatsit". He/she states that afer the update the blotches are gone. So I thought there is an update.

Edit: I can not check for updates because it does not show a paperwhite in my section since my registration is with a German address ... and I can not buy a PW ...

Edit #2: maybe you can check in your kindle account and search for kindle updates ...

Last edited by Helgetus; 10-09-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #178
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
EDIT: My color-blobby unit is 5.2.0. So is my less-color-blobby one. I'm sure my issues are hardware but I'd certainly try new firmware. I assumed it's pushed, though, it's not like we can force it?
There is a page where they post it but I would have to hunt for it. They rarely post it very quickly. Quite often no one knows a FW update exists until Kindles start updating, then we go looking to see. Amazon rarely gives much explanation for the FW updates other than some very generic statement.

But in this case I've heard nothing about an update and doubt seriously that there has been one. The bozos on the Amazon forum are more often confused than informed.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #179
ultimatejimmy
Enthusiast
ultimatejimmy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite (coming soon)
Quote:
There is a page where they post it but I would have to hunt for it. They rarely post it very quickly. Quite often no one knows a FW update exists until Kindles start updating, then we go looking to see. Amazon rarely gives much explanation for the FW updates other than some very generic statement.

But in this case I've heard nothing about an update and doubt seriously that there has been one. The bozos on the Amazon forum are more often confused than informed.
The link is here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529680

They don't have an area for PW updates yet so I doubt it exists.
ultimatejimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #180
Trauma Doll
Addict

If you guys mean this page:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529680

...Paperwhite doesn't seem to be there yet at all.

(jinx post above)