Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Stephanie Meyer stops work on 'Midnight Sun'

I've never read her books, but I suppose this is big deal for her fans:

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/...nie-meyer.html
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I know there are quite a few devoted followers of that series but I hear a lot of complaints about the last one.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Why does this feel like a gimmick? A "leak" happens with an early draft of a new book, and she decides to take her ball and go home? (yet, publishes said manuscript on her web site.) It sounds odd to me....

Jason
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Definitely a juvenile reaction. Plus, I've read the books before this one she's working on, and while they're not horrible, she's definitely not "all that" and pretty much just needs to get over herself.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #5
Rosethorn1403
Rosethorn1403 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rosethorn1403 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rosethorn1403 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rosethorn1403 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rosethorn1403 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
pffft she's a crap writer so hopefully the next draft may improve!
Rosethorn1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
sounds like an inside job
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:14 AM   #7
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
either way, she's put the draft on her site for those who want to read it:

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/midnightsun.html
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #8
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosethorn1403 View Post
pffft she's a crap writer so hopefully the next draft may improve!
I have a lot of respect for anyone that has the perseverance to see beyond a blank page to one finished book, much less four! As far as her being a "crap" writer, that's your opinion. Obviously millions disagree.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We know Stephenie didn't leak the draft. So it had to be someone at the publisher's who helped get it leaked.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #10
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Rosethorn1403, are you perchance a relative of Stepanok?
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #11
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I have a lot of respect for anyone that has the perseverance to see beyond a blank page to one finished book, much less four! As far as her being a "crap" writer, that's your opinion. Obviously millions disagree.
Today there are tons and tons of books being published, mostly by their authors on Lulu and such, so that is not the big deal it used to be.

Regarding literary merit - I think that is irrelevant in the case of Ms. Meyer since my strong opinion is that you cannot discuss such for a work which is newer than 100-150 years.

She fulfills a need for her audience so she sells tons of books and I respect that - I am not her intended audience of course, but then most people are not anyway.

If anyone thinks that a popular writer that found an audience that wants his/her work in large numbers is writing *crap*, they are more than welcome to try and do it too and get rich. To me those kind of comments sound like sour grapes and it surprises me why they are made mostly only about writers, but not about actors, sport players and such, people that make tons of money for fulfilling a need of many people...

Maybe because deep inside most of us think that we can write a book, but we know we cannot act/ do not have the good looks of Brad Pitt or play baseball like ARod...

Still sour grapes - if it were easy to repeat Ms. Meyer' success, just go and do it...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #12
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
I think it's a little bit of a false argument to say 'if you think she's a crap writer, go and do it yourself'. The ability to judge writing quality is to some extent independent of the ability to write - and much of the ability to get published has less to do with writing ability than it does to do with marketing, connections and sheer luck.

I do think she's an awful writer myself, and that's only having read bits and pieces.

But more central to this thread - I'm with the people who think this whole thing suspicious and her reaction is bizarre. The only way it could have been leaked is if somebody from the publishing company (or a trusted friend that she would send a draft too) did so. So the fact that she's blaming fans for it is really funny.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
To me those kind of comments sound like sour grapes and it surprises me why they are made mostly only about writers, but not about actors, sport players and such, people that make tons of money for fulfilling a need of many people...

Maybe because deep inside most of us think that we can write a book, but we know we cannot act/ do not have the good looks of Brad Pitt or play baseball like ARod...
I think hearing these types of comments depends on the circles you travel in. Actors, celebrities (can you say Paris Hilton... makes a lot of money but what is her talent... and yes I'm jealous) and I'm sure some sports figures get the same kinds of comments.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I think hearing these types of comments depends on the circles you travel in. Actors, celebrities (can you say Paris Hilton... makes a lot of money but what is her talent... and yes I'm jealous) and I'm sure some sports figures get the same kinds of comments.

Daffy, I refuse to believe that someone as intelligent as you can possibly be jealous of a no talent, brainless, gutter mentality like Paris Hilton who has nothing to offer except her name, and money. THIS is what is looked up to these day? I think not. And as for sports figures......please. The ability to shoot a ball into a basket, or run down a field with a football or hit/pitch a baseball is by no means worth the money these freaks are being paid.

Now, as for this author.........please. waa waa. Get over it. Publish your damn book and rake in the money. Like you are in it for anything else.....and the fact that "millions" like it doesn't mean crap. Consider the age group she write for. The same who idolize Hilton.

My rant for today.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 09-03-2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: deleted of word "whore" requested.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #15
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I don't find it bizarre that she reacted this way. Artistic people have a much higher reactivity to stressors than those who don't create for a living. I've not read any of her work, since I'm really not into vampires. However, the reaction has more to do with the sense of violation that she is feeling, rather than anything to do with the artistic merit of her work.

You buy an ice cream cone and set it on the counter to pay for it. Someone comes along and licks it because they like your type of ice cream. Do you want to finish the cone? Probably not. That is the type of emotional response she's having.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!