Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #16
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
NT has these features and the Fire doesn't:
  • RAM: 1GB vs 512MB
  • mSD card slot vs none
  • microphone vs none
  • physical volume buttons vs none
It also does not support side loading of any apps and restricts you to a very sparse walled garden.

The Fire lets you side load and has plenty of apps available thru Amazon.

Great specs on the Nook Tab, but they screwed the pooch everywhere else. Might become a good tablet as the guys at XDA keep plugging at it, but why bother? Soon enough there will be better hardware available that doesn't require hacks.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Might become a good tablet as the guys at XDA keep plugging at it, but why bother? Soon enough there will be better hardware available that doesn't require hacks.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:22 AM   #18
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
The $249 7" Asus Memo 370T in the Youtube video that tubemonkey posted is set for release in the second quarter of 2012. It's said to have:
  • Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
  • quad-core Tegra 3 processor
  • 1GB of RAM
  • at least 16GB of storage
  • 1280x800-pixel IPS screen
  • micro-USB port
  • microSD card reader
  • micro-HDMI port
  • 8-megapixel camera
Nice!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:45 AM   #19
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Too little too late. This is chumming for those who didn't yet bite for a Fire over the holidays before they lose out on potential KF2 customers.

Last edited by salsaguy; 02-21-2012 at 03:46 AM. Reason: typeo
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #20
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
The $249 7" Asus Memo 370T in the Youtube video that tubemonkey posted is set for release in the second quarter of 2012. It's said to have:
  • Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
  • quad-core Tegra 3 processor
  • 1GB of RAM
  • at least 16GB of storage
  • 1280x800-pixel IPS screen
  • micro-USB port
  • microSD card reader
  • micro-HDMI port
  • 8-megapixel camera
Nice!
Yes, it does have nice specs. But there's quite a distance between announced specs and a relatively bug-free working device.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket; I like the idea of more power, capabilities, flexibility as much as Tim Taylor. But when I see announcements about availability of a device stated in "quarters," I always assume that means about a month after the last month of that quarter. That means July, 2012. And then I figure that it will take another 3-4 months of updates and bug fixes to deal with the initial release that usually turns out to be a beta test paid for by consumers.

All in all, curmudgeon that I am, I'm inclined to think this tablet may be ready for the next Holiday shopping season.

P.S. I work for a software development firm. I've seen this process from the inside and it's much like sausage.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #21
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
By the same features, I meant as the first NT. Surely some folks would be interested in the second NT at 199. The assumption is it would be locked down BUT that is not confirmed.

BN already reduced the NC to $169. I am in the store right now for proof.

Last edited by robertc88; 02-21-2012 at 11:22 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From the website:
  • NT8: 5GB for content; of which 1GB is reserved for NOOK Store content
  • NT16: 13GB for content; of which 12GB is reserved for NOOK Store content
4GB of user storage in the new 8GB NT versus 1GB in the 16GB NT.

New prices:
  • Color = $169
  • NT8 = $199
  • NT16 = $249

Last edited by tubemonkey; 02-21-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #23
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
4GB of user storage in the new 8GB NT versus 1GB in the 16GB NT.
Starting next month folks will be able to bring their 16GB Tabs into a B&N store and have the space repartitioned. Not ideal maybe, but it's something.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #24
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

HI can Someone Explain to me the justification for this severely rationing of the total B&N disk space from the user??

I certainly understand the general concept of X amount of total disc space with Y amount already being consumed by the core OS& System files

But why so much space restricted from the user in the B&N Scheme???
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #25
tlo07
tlo07 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I had the Nook Tablet but returned it. I've been a Barnes and Noble supporter since the first Nook came out. I loved the actual device, but the lack of content (with the exception of books) was sorely lacking. If you can't do anything with your tablet except read, you might as well just stick with an e-ink reader. I bought a Kindle Fire and love it. I was able to side load the Nook app so I can finish reading the books I purchased from B&N. I'm grateful they haven't blocked the side loading on the KF like they did on the Nook. I guess Amazon will be getting my money from now on instead of B&N.
tlo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #26
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
HI can Someone Explain to me the justification for this severely rationing of the total B&N disk space from the user??

I certainly understand the general concept of X amount of total disc space with Y amount already being consumed by the core OS& System files

Just speculating here but I've been in more than one product development meeting in my life. Without the huge server farms Amazon has in place, the NT has to have considerably more local storage than the KF to have a competitive advantage. But the bean counters note that the only way to make real money with the NT is to sell the content that is stored locally. Much back and forth among marketing, engineering, and accounting folks. (Think Dilbert.) The result is extensive storage space restricted to B&N content but without the content to sell.

We're all accustomed to thinking of corporations as monolithic entities with a single "vision." In most cases they're anything but. Products emerge as compromises among groups with different agendas and responsibilities. And like Congress, peering into the sausage making process is often discouraging.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #27
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post

All B&N content including apps is stored in the B&N partition. Some of the book apps can be 100 to 200 MB in size. Some of the interactive magazines can also be 100 to 200 MB in size.

The original NC had 1GB for apps, and 5GB for other B&N content and sideloaded content. After the app store was opened soon people were running out of space to install apps. So B&N needed to enlarge the apps space. To not limit space for other B&N content (that would be bad for business) this meant that B&N content had also to go in the apps space.

That is why the newer NC models and the NT have a large B&N partition for apps and other content. So you will not run out of space if you like apps books or magazines. And a small user partition, because you can add cheap user space with an SD card.

Forced by the complaints about this by people not understanding the very good reason for this partitioning model B&N has chosen to have only a 1.5GB B&N partition on the 8GB NT.
I predict this will prove to be a bad idea, and will lead to complaints (probably by the same people complaining about the large B&N partition).

The Kindle has only 1GB for apps (I believe apps are allowed to store some of their data outside that partition). On the Amazon board you will find several threads about people running out of apps space.

Last edited by geertm; 02-22-2012 at 10:14 AM.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #28
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Some of the interactive magazines can also be 100 to 200 MB in size.
Some can actually be 500MB in size, so if you have a subscription for those, you certainly need the extra space.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I have several audiobooks that are over 700 MB each.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #30
temetka
Enthusiast
temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.temetka could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Gen.
I repartitioned my Nook Color to 5GB for B&N and 3GB for me. Haven't had a problem since. I also have 32BG SD card for my other media. the 3GB internal is just in case something requires the internal space or for me to store "must have" content in case my 32GB card dies.

That being said when I get my Nook Tablet I am hoping to be able to repartition it to 10GB for B&N and 6GB for me. Plus of course my 32GB SD Card. I have a couple hundred bucks invested in books and apps from B&N so I won't be jumping ship to Amazon. However as long as I can root the NT and install the Amazon App store, then all is good.
temetka is offline   Reply With Quote