Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #46
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Wow, gotta love this thread; started out as a discussion of differences between British and American English pronunciation and then side-stepped into discussions of skulls in people's entrances, a brief foray into a 'testicle' innuendo on this and then a description of Amish bread...

...incidentally, I've never even heard of Amish bread. I know the words 'Amish' and 'bread' of course, I've just never seen them together - kind of like 'German' and 'humour', or 'American' and 'modesty' (don'cha just love these easily disproved sterotypes!)...

...anyway, just to get back on-topic a little as well, Worcester is pronounced Wuster (i.e. the 'oo' in Wooster is as in 'rook' and not as in 'boo'). Hope that makes sense?

Just so you know, I am English but went to University in Scotland. I was once mercilessly ridiculed for my pronunciation of a place in Scotland called Milngavie - shiny karma for any non-UK member who can give me a correct phonetical version of that!
How about "mill-guy"??
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #47
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
No again, I'm afraid.

One more guess and then I'll have to tell you all.
Am I getting warmer or colder?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #48
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
How about "mill-guy"??
Have you been there?!

Pretty damn good - from memory, it was 'mull-guy', although I wouldn't be at all surprised if you are actually correct and one of our Scottish members will pipe up and subject me to even more ridicule over that damn word (as if being the only Englishman in a class of 30 being laughed at by the rest of the class for not knowing the ridiculous pronunciation of some place in Scotland wasn't enough. Still, I did have the last laugh - I'm not Scottish!).

Karma on its way to you!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #49
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Hey .... what about my guess??

Oh, never mind!! You did see my guess!!

Never been there, but I have been to Scotland, and long before my father's people were Maveetys, they were MacVitties.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #50
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
My guess is "mel-gay."

Last edited by Lady Blue; 05-21-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: oops - too late.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #51
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But but but... there's so many leftover unpronounced letters... just isn't fair... just sayin'... sniff...
Old 05-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #52
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How about "mill-guy"??
Quote:
Have you been there?!

Pretty damn good - from memory, it was 'mull-guy', although I wouldn't be at all surprised if you are actually correct and one of our Scottish members will pipe up and subject me to even more ridicule over that damn word (as if being the only Englishman in a class of 30 being laughed at by the rest of the class for not knowing the ridiculous pronunciation of some place in Scotland wasn't enough. Still, I did have the last laugh - I'm not Scottish!).

Karma on its way to you!
Actually it's BOTH, or EITHER. I just looked it up.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #53
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
Actually it's BOTH, or EITHER. I just looked it up.
Oh, suuurrreee you did (wink wink) on that handy-dandy 505 dictionary, I suppose.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #54
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
.... SNIP SNIP ...

It is also not just a Brit/US curse, but also a north/south England one -
knowing how to say cup and butter correctly, for instance, in our household is an occasional source of mirth..... (I'm always right - of course)
So how do you say cup and butter?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #55
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Of course, but you didn't specify foyer instead of basement!
Well, not to quibble, but I did say "entry." Of course, it may be common in some parts of the world to enter the house through the basement .... I suppose.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #56
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Wowie!!! Ricky's cats live in fancier style than I do!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #57
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
YIt is also not just a Brit/US curse, but also a north/south England one -
knowing how to say cup and butter correctly, for instance, in our household is an occasional source of mirth..... (I'm always right - of course)
The classic words for north/south England distinction are bath and glass.

Butter's a good one for places that use the glottal stop - there's no 't' sounded at all, just a brief pause in the voice: Bu'er

Schoolmaster: And what do you have for lunch today?
Boy: Bread and Bu'er
Schoolmaster: That's not right. Say it properly: "butter"
Boy: Bu'er.
Schoolmaster: No, "buTTer"
Boy (trying hard): But-ter.

Schoolmaster: There, tha's be'er.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #58
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Wowie!!! Ricky's cats live in fancier style than I do!
If you become homeless and lost, maybe she'll take you in.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #59
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Well, not to quibble, but I did say "entry." Of course, it may be common in some parts of the world to enter the house through the basement .... I suppose.
Naw, I just missed the entry part altogether. Was focused on the skulls part. I couldn't decide if you were gluing human heads to a table or making a table out of them. Knowing how you like to refinish furniture, well, you can see how I might be confused.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #60
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
I was surprised (having been taught "the queen's English" a loooong time ago & as a second language) to hear a US attendee in my seminar say 'shedjool' for 'schedule' , and 'click' for 'clique'... takes a few seconds to connect!

Last edited by YGG-; 05-21-2009 at 02:43 PM.
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote