Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 02-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #1
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
UI plugin icon not displaying in context menu

Never mind, I figured it out. My problem was due to a missing line.
Code:
popup_type = QToolButton.InstantPopup
I never have been exactly sure about the available options for popup_type. I just learnt the hard way.

Hi Kovid,

calibre 4.10.1 Win10 32-bit ... Can you shed any light on the following:

This is not a showstopper but I've just noticed a problem with non-display of the main plugin icon in some of my UI plugins. It may have been around longer but I've only just noticed it.

The problem seems to occur only in the right-click context menu and only for UI plugins which don't have a sub-menu. See attached screenshots.

Using ScrambleEbook as an example of a UI plugin with no sub-menu, as you can see (2nd image) the plugin icon displays OK in the main toolbar and in the main menu. However in the right-click context menu (1st image) the icon is blank.

Compare this with the 'TTS to MP3' (which does have a sub-menu) next to ScrambleEbook where the icon displays OK everywhere.

I notice that the built-in tools/plugins which don't have a sub-menu (e.g. 'Polish book', 'Unpack book') don't have the same problem. I don't think the problem is specific to ScrambleEbook because 2 of my other (personal) plugins have the same problem.

This is the genesis code from ScrambleEbook in case this is where the problem lies.
Code:
def genesis(self):
    self.is_library_selected = True
    self.icons = get_icons(['images/plugin_icon.png',
                            'images/azw3.png',
                            'images/epub.png',
                            'images/kepub.png',
                            'images/azw3.svg',
                            'images/epub.svg',
                            'images/kepub.svg'
                            ])
    icon = get_icons('images/plugin_icon.png')
    self.qaction.setIcon(icon)
    self.qaction.triggered.connect(self.show_dialog)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_noicon.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	177020   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_noicon2.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	177021  

Last edited by jackie_w; 02-08-2020 at 04:34 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:33 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm. Maybe I spoke too soon.
Code:
gave me the icon in the context menu but it seems to have also disabled the Shortcut key setting which is working OK when I have
Code:
popup_type = QToolButton.MenuButtonPopup
... or perhaps I haven't found the magic combo yet. The genesis is as shown in post #1 and the bit before genesis() is
Code:
class ScrambleEbookUiAction(InterfaceAction):
    name = PLUGIN_NAME
    ttip = '%s\n(%s)' % (PLUGIN_DESCRIPTION, ','.join(OK_FORMATS))
    action_spec = (PLUGIN_NAME, None, ttip, _('Ctrl+Shift+S'))
    action_type = 'current'
    dont_add_to = frozenset([])
    dont_remove_from = frozenset([])
Is there an obvious error here?

Last edited by jackie_w; 02-08-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Advert
Old 02-08-2020, 11:51 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
looks ok at first glance, it would help if you posted the full plugin.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:13 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
looks ok at first glance, it would help if you posted the full plugin.
OK, here it is.

Just to recap, as this is a public plugin, my first priority is to enable a shortcut key and the second (cosmetic) priority is to have the icon displayed in the context menu.

If you can tell me where I'm going wrong I'll be most grateful.

Last edited by jackie_w; 02-14-2020 at 09:03 PM. Reason: attachment removed
Old 02-09-2020, 09:25 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Works for me once I commented out popup_type completely (which is the same as setting it to menubuttonpopup). I could add it to the context menu and I could use ctrl+shift+s to trigger it.
Advert
Old 02-09-2020, 09:40 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Works for me once I commented out popup_type completely (which is the same as setting it to menubuttonpopup). I could add it to the context menu and I could use ctrl+shift+s to trigger it.
Perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough. I have no problem adding to (or running from) the context menu. It's just that there is no icon displayed (on my Windows10 anyway) in the context menu when popup_type is set to MenuButtonPopup.

The context menu icon does appear if popup_type is InstantPopup, but then the shortcut doesn't work.

If I have to settle for only one of the two I'll have to choose shortcut over icon, but I'd like to have both working if possible.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:38 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

ah ok, is see, where you have

add

Code:
if hasattr(self, 'shortcut_action_for_context_menu'):
   self.shortcut_action_for_context_menu.setIcon(icon)
as well.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:00 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
ah ok, is see, where you have

add

Code:
if hasattr(self, 'shortcut_action_for_context_menu'):
   self.shortcut_action_for_context_menu.setIcon(icon)
as well.
Oh, yes, that works.

I don't think I'd ever have worked that one out on my own.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's really a regression, you should not need to do it at all and it will be fixed in the next release.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:30 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It's really a regression, you should not need to do it at all and it will be fixed in the next release.
OK then, before I publish the python3-ready plugin update I'll revert back to the original code I had.

Was it a 4.10 regression?
Old 02-10-2020, 08:34 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can keep the code I mentioned, it's harmless. The regression was in either 4.9 or 4.10 dont remember.