Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
Bookreader software for .azw format?

First, I don't have a Kindle. I started with a Nook Color, and I currently use a tablet. Works fine.

BUT, as I keep reading how Amazon is taking over the world, and the other book formats are going away, I'm curious whether there is a really GOOD bookreader that'll work on Kindle format. And, of course, Kindle format books are often cheaper than what B&N offers. I'm not concerned about Amazon achieving world domination and destroying other formats, but it would be nice to get books for Amazon and read the .azw on my tablet WITHOUT manual intervention.

I currently use Coolreader, so that would be my baseline for flexibility and control. The Kindle and Nook bookreader software is pretty poor as far as being configurable. I've got Moon, Mantano, Aldiko, and FB readers on the table along with Coolreader, but none appears to read native .azw format.

So, is there a really excellent reader that'll read the .azw format and let me have a lot of control for configuring and controlling the reading experience?
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
The only reader that will work directly with Kindle books is the Kindle app for PC/Mac/Android/iOS. Others will require you remove DRM to read.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
So, is there a really excellent reader that'll read the .azw format and let me have a lot of control for configuring and controlling the reading experience?
No, there isn't. Even calibre converts to ePub behind the scenes before displaying Kindle ebooks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
First, I don't have a Kindle. I started with a Nook Color, and I currently use a tablet. Works fine.

BUT, as I keep reading how Amazon is taking over the world, and the other book formats are going away, I'm curious whether there is a really GOOD bookreader that'll work on Kindle format. And, of course, Kindle format books are often cheaper than what B&N offers. I'm not concerned about Amazon achieving world domination and destroying other formats, but it would be nice to get books for Amazon and read the .azw on my tablet WITHOUT manual intervention.

I currently use Coolreader, so that would be my baseline for flexibility and control. The Kindle and Nook bookreader software is pretty poor as far as being configurable. I've got Moon, Mantano, Aldiko, and FB readers on the table along with Coolreader, but none appears to read native .azw format.

AZW format is several different formats. Mobi7 is the most common variation and is what most azw2 files contain. Other azw files contain fixed-format pdf, topaz, or epub variants.

First of all, the file needs to be drm free.
If you know it is drm free, you can rename the file to .mobi or .prc and try fbreader or coolreader but I've had better luck with FBreader.

If FBreader can't process it might be an azw3 file which is essentially an epub variant in a kindle wrapper. There are free tools available to extract an epub from the azw file.

The simplest solution is to just feed azw files through calibre unless you know they are mobi7.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow, so Amazon has really locked people into their reading software - I'm talking about NORMAL people, not the folks that hang out in here, use Calibre, are comfortable managing DRM and all that... Of course, I suppose those same normal folks wouldn't realize how limited their reading software is.

Well, I sure hope those prophecies of the death of epub and the ascension of Amazon are wrong.
Advert
Old 12-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Wow, so Amazon has really locked people into their reading software - I'm talking about NORMAL people, not the folks that hang out in here, use Calibre, are comfortable managing DRM and all that... Of course, I suppose those same normal folks wouldn't realize how limited their reading software is.

Well, I sure hope those prophecies of the death of epub and the ascension of Amazon are wrong.
Normal people don't care about ebook lock-in, whether to Amazon, Apple, or Adobe.

As for "prophesies of epub death and amazon domination" they are mostly fear mongering. And, again, nothing mainstream ebook buyers worry about.

The epub world is forked and balkanized to its eyeballs but it still amounts to hundreds of millions of dollars each year. Those that don't want to deal with Amazon or Apple will always find somebody willing to take their money.
(And Adobe will be grateful for the "tax" revenue they collect from them.)

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-28-2013 at 11:53 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I suppose those same normal folks wouldn't realize how limited their reading software is.
Limited to what? Reading? I'd wager that is all most people do with their ereading devices/software.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
As for "prophesies of epub death and amazon domination" they are mostly fear mongering. And, again, nothing mainstream ebook buyers worry about.
I know there is not a lot of data available, but I would really like to know how big Amazon really is. Yes, they've got the English e-reader market cornered at something like 75-80%, but there is more than English: in many countries, Netherlands being one of them, Amazon is actually non-existent for all intents and purposes. Most people over here read on Kobo's, Sony's, or other EPUB-readers that can be had through webshops or stores.

The only people who have a Kindle have one for a specific reason, mostly being the desire to avoid Kobo (firmware) or Sony (no front-light). There are some other readers, but they're not readily available in stores.

In short, most people over here have a Kobo or a Sony.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Stephen OConnell
Stephen OConnell began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Limited to what? Reading?

It's all I use my Kindle Paperwhite for anyway!
Stephen OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Normal people don't care about ebook lock-in, whether to Amazon, Apple, or Adobe.

The epub world is forked and balkanized to its eyeballs but it still amounts to hundreds of millions of dollars each year. Those that don't want to deal with Amazon or Apple will always find somebody willing to take their money.
(And Adobe will be grateful for the "tax" revenue they collect from them.)
I really find funny how publishers complain about Amazon dominating ebook sales etc but its their own fault for using drm if they had sold drm free books from the start on their own website. They would not be stuck with Amazon and its customer lock in today. Even Apple went with drm books because thats how publishers wanted to sell if they had convinced publishers to go drm free instead of price collusion it would have a larger ebook market share as well.
With ebooks publishers didn't need to sell through other retailers and could have sold directly but in trying to protect their old cash cow of physical books they are stuck with Amazon and its customer lock in.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't know that DRM free woulf really solve that much. Most people are going to buy books from the seller associated with their reader. It is easier that way.

There is a percentage that would take DRM free books and convert them as needed but I don't think it is as high as people here think that they are. Most folks are aiming for wase of use.

Heck, I know how to strip DRM and convert and I still buy all my books from Amazon. It is easy and it makes those books more easily available to my Mom and MIL who are on my Amazon account.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
Quote:

How is my reading limited by having a Kindle? I probably have a wider selection of books on Amazon than anywhere else even if I don't use any other software. I buy books to read, I don't care the format and the price makes more of a difference. Amazon and Apple are not "teh evul" as some seem to think.

I think it is pretty funny people always gripe about Amazon or Apple locking people in but the fact is most people who buy those devices fully intend to buy books from Amazon or Apple, pretty much exclussively.

For me, I don't see the big deal about drm, file type and all that jazz. I just buy books on my kindle and don't futz with things. I used to be the type that lamented about such things but found it was pointless for my purposes.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #13
dkperez
Groupie

You've missed my point... I don't care what reader you're using, or where you get your books. The native reader SOFTWARE on a Nook or Kindle is very limited. Third party readers provide far more control over the reading environment. Once I put a different reader on my wife's Nook Color, her reading speed went up significantly as did her comfort. She has MUCH more control of font, size, and a number of other aspects. She can put a texture on the background paper to make it more comfortable. And on and on. The ability to customize the tap areas for pagination rather than having to swipe all the time is a handy feature, as are a number of other things.

That was why I was curious about 3rd party readers that can read Kindle format. It would be nice to be able to get books from a variety of sources without having to go through the process of breaking the DRM.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:30 AM   #14
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
I think it is pretty funny people always gripe about Amazon or Apple locking people in but the fact is most people who buy those devices fully intend to buy books from Amazon or Apple, pretty much exclussively.

For me, I don't see the big deal about drm, file type and all that jazz. I just buy books on my kindle and don't futz with things. I used to be the type that lamented about such things but found it was pointless for my purposes.
If not for anything else I would want to be able to exchange the reading device without losing the reading ability. For epub with DRM I have a lot of choices, for AZW with DRM just Kindle. But I acknowledge that the high value which having a choice in this case has for me may be void for you. Price is not an issue for me as in Germany book prices are fixed for all booksellers for most books in German.

hansl
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #15
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:
You've missed my point... I don't care what reader you're using, or where you get your books. The native reader SOFTWARE on a Nook or Kindle is very limited. Third party readers provide far more control over the reading environment.
The software lock is not unique to Kindle. Other reader manufacturers also try, see the Sony rooting threads.
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote