Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
NookColor already discounted

$50 off at BestBuy
Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Clear out the livestock!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
So it's at the same price as Fire!
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The price drop is because the Nook Tablet is coming out later this year.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Clear out the livestock!
The indication would be that it will continue to be sold alongside the new nook tablet, two different offerings, one matching the fire albeit with a single core, the other besting it at a $50 premium.
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The indication would be that it will continue to be sold alongside the new nook tablet, two different offerings, one matching the fire albeit with a single core, the other besting it at a $50 premium.
I can't imagine they would continue with both models

They are virtually identical:

Minor cosmetic changes,
added dual core processor,
increased memory...
.but other than that the same..

......but hey....ya never know.

oh and The Nook Tablet is not "besting it" -- it really depends on your needs. The Fire and Nook Tablet are identical as far as dual core processors. The Nook has an edge in internal memory and having an SD slot, but I've yet to actually need an SD card on any of my book readers or tablets, so it's a big meeeehhh to me.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-05-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I can't imagine they would continue with both models

They are virtually identical:

Minor cosmetic changes,
added dual core processor,
increased memory...
.but other than that the same..

......but hey....ya never know.

oh and their is not "besting it" -- it really depends on your needs. The Fire and Nook Tablet are identical as far as dual core processors. The Nook has an edge in internal memory and having an SD slot, but I've yet to actually need an SD card on any of my book readers or tablets, so it's a big meeeehhh to me.
I see your point, but even if you don't need it, there is no denying that the nook tablet has better hardware : faster cpu, twice the RAM and twice the internal storage. Wheher that justifies the extra $50 is for each one to decide.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
...faster cpu, twice the RAM and twice the internal storage. Wheher that justifies the extra $50 is for each one to decide.
...and mSD slot. Those specs easily justify the extra $50 for a tablet. Once the folks at Cyanogen root this thing, I'm getting one. I'll then give my NC1 away.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
I see your point, but even if you don't need it, there is no denying that the nook tablet has better hardware : faster cpu, twice the RAM and twice the internal storage. Wheher that justifies the extra $50 is for each one to decide.
Well, it's not just a matter of hardware, which I've already explained is of little consequence when you are talking ebooks -- as I said the processors are identical that .2 is really irrelevant speedwise the main difference is the memory and that has never been an issue for me or many.

The other main difference of course is the infrastructure B&N vs Amazon and as far as I'm concerned there is no comparison, Amazon wins by a mile.

But....to each his own, I hear what you are saying, can't say I agree but I hear it.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
...and mSD slot. Those specs easily justify the extra $50 for a tablet. Once the folks at Cyanogen root this thing, I'm getting one. I'll then give my NC1 away.
I'm with you on this one. Though the fact it comes with netflix HD might imply it won't be as easy to root.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
I'm with you on this one. Though the fact it comes with netflix HD might imply it won't be as easy to root.
possibly but I expect rooting withing 24 hours....
Old 11-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
The race is already on!

All those geeks are warming up their equipment, running checklists, and preparing to lift off.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote