Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
fewilcox
fewilcox began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Is My Screen Broken Beyond Help?

My 505's screen seems to have developed a sudden problem Tuesday morning. I couldn't get Picasaweb and the forum to cooperate so I had to link to the picture of the problem in instead. Centered a bit up from the bottom is the volume indicator at about twice its normal size and an even more malformed version mirrored behind it. When I try to turn it on part of the volume indicator will flicker a few times but I haven't seen any other activity. I have no idea what the other lines are.

I had used it several times Monday but after went to bed Tuesday morning (my wife works third shift and I keep my sleep schedule close to hers since I'm crippled and can't work at all) I saw the above when I flipped open the case. It simply sat either on my nightstand or on the couch between readings and was never dropped nor was anything dropped on it.

When I plug it into the computer, Windows, Calibre, and Sony's Reader software (whatever it's called; I've only used it a couple of times) can all see and manipulate it normally so I was able to back up its internal memory.

Other than making the volume indicator flicker, the power button is completely unresponsive but I still tried soft and hard resetting it more times than I remember with no results whatsoever.

Then I left it plugged in to fully recharge in case it was a battery issue but it only took a few minutes since it was fully charged when I went to bed Monday morning.

Then I spent several hours digging through this forum and the Internet at large for answers and only found one: hold the power switch for at least a minute. That didn't work either.

So at this point I'm wondering whether my screen randomly broke or if some component that drives the display wore out.

It was purchased new in Nov/Dec 2009 so wearing out seems unlikely but I really can't think of any other possibilities – which is why I'm asking the good people of Mobileread.
fewilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
I'm sorry but that is a broken screen, or a messed up controller, nothing you can do about that but send it to Sony for repairs
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
That is a broken screen. Scrap it and get a new one.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
fewilcox
fewilcox began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the help.
fewilcox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken screen