Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Tablet

I've been wanting to get a tablet for a while now, I want the relative functionality of a computer, without the bulk of a laptop. It dosen't need to do everything, but I want something other than a strictly ebook reader.

I'd like to have

A larger screen
SD expansion
Of course works well.
Relatively good battery life.
Needs to have an app so I can open a Microsoft Word document.
A good, solid writing program.

I know very little about tablets so I'm not even sure there's a tablet like I need, so I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
How about both?

The Asus Transformer is a current generation Android tablet with optional keyboard and docking station. If you're planning on doing any heavy writing, I doubt an onscreen keyboard will fit the bill.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I second the nod for the Asus Eee Pad Transformer fits all your list of needs almost to a T
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, it looks perfect. I love writing (I'm not good at it, but I love it.) But it's perfect for my needs. I had thought about getting an iPad2 with the bluetooth keyboard, but this has blow the iPad2 out of the water.

Could anyone recommend an app for writing?

Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
The Transformer comes with Polaris Office installed. It's been able to open all of the Excel, Word, and PowerPoints that I've thrown at it and I've been able to edit them and save the changes. I haven't tried creating anything on it yet since I really want a keyboard first, but it looked pretty functional.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 12:08 AM   #6
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
I'd actually consider iPad 2. I have an android tablet and iPad gen 1. Ipad hands down has the most Apps for writers. Mind maps, index cards that will sync with scrivener,( awesone for writers) note taker HD for hand writing down your thoughts, translation dictionaries.. (I used this when one of my characters spoke broken french), Pages, Chapters, just tons of software aimed at writers.

For writers I just think from using both, at the moment, iPad has a lot more to offer.

Take a look at these articles for more ideas.. HERE and Here

Edit: Pages is also compatible with Word docs. In writing its not just about the office software but all the other tools as well, although Android does have some, it doesn't match iPad yet.

If he was shooting for Windows 7, One note can't be beat.

Last edited by Synergi; 07-29-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
I agree with TedJ and boswd: Eee Pad Transformer would be great for you.

You mention Word Documents, so I'll point out the Eee Slate and HP Slate 500, which are Windows 7 tablets. However, the Transformer's value/price ratio is much more impressive. Oh, and polly reports that the Transformer comes with Polaris Office, so you should be all set.

Regarding battery life, the Transformer can take an additional battery in its optional dock and get upwards of 16 hours combined (or 9 hours alone).

Last edited by hughes; 07-29-2011 at 12:25 AM.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Oop! I missed he wanted an S slot. I always use dropbox on iPad, but if you have to have SD I'd take the suggestion on Windows 7 Tablet. You never said what your budget was. The Asus Ep121 is an awesome tablet, and you'll have acess to Office, One Note, Stickies, Scrivener etc, all great stuff for writers.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
Bittybye
Addict

Thanks for the suggestions

My budget is $600-700. But the Asus come in under that, even with the keyboard. And I can use Office? Perfect, that's what I use on my laptop.