Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-19-2016, 09:26 PM   #1351
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
I enjoy Mantano and eagerly await new developments.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:32 PM   #1352
Jean-Marie
Mantano President&Founder
Jean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the rough

Device: Many, many...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhevi View Post
I enjoy Mantano and eagerly await new developments.
Hi ! Glad to read that, thank you for this great support !
Cheers,
Jean-Marie
Jean-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #1353
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Is there any trick to get hyphenation going in the EPUB3 reading engine, or is it unsupported? I check the hyphenation box but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I've checked to make sure the ebook's CSS isn't manually disabling hyphenation (as well as experimenting with the various CSS hyphenation settings) but nothing seems to get it working.

Hyphenation works fine in the EPUB2 renderer, though.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:40 AM   #1354
Jean-Marie
Jean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Is there any trick to get hyphenation going in the EPUB3 reading engine, or is it unsupported? I check the hyphenation box but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I've checked to make sure the ebook's CSS isn't manually disabling hyphenation (as well as experimenting with the various CSS hyphenation settings) but nothing seems to get it working.

Hyphenation works fine in the EPUB2 renderer, though.
Hello DiapDealer, good question... In fact hyphenation works well in the iOS version, since the underlying WebView does support it. On Android, it's not the same game... So we have achieved a few tests at the JavaScript level with the great Hyphenator.js library, but we had performance issues and we had misc other troubles. We'll do some more investigations in this area very soon, since we have to find a solution for it, anyway. Proper hyphenation is important, especially with small devices. I'll post there the results of our investigations. If I may ask, any suggestion is highly welcome, and the whole Readium community would be grateful ;-)
EDIT 1: "Very soon" was in fact "right now" and I have just found an interesting solution, I'll try it shortly. Stay tuned.
EDIT 2: The new solution looks quite promising! However it has impact on bookmarks and highlights (on CFIs to be precise), so we will have to schedule a sprint about that to make sure we don't break anything. This will probably not be supported in our next Android release, you'll have to wait a little bit more.
JM

Last edited by Jean-Marie; 02-22-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #1355
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the update. No hurry, I was mainly looking for confirmation that it was/wasn't supposed to be working on Android. Now that I know it's not, I can stop trying.

It only really becomes an issue when I jack up the font-size dramatically for treadmill reading.
Advert
Old 02-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #1356
Jean-Marie

Quote:
Thanks for the update. No hurry, I was mainly looking for confirmation that it was/wasn't supposed to be working on Android. Now that I know it's not, I can stop trying.

It only really becomes an issue when I jack up the font-size dramatically for treadmill reading.
Treadmill reading ! This reminds me I have to return to the gym :-D
Joke apart, this question about hyphenation raised a signal in my mind since I had left this topic unfinished and found it rather frustrating. So it will come in a future release now that I feel pretty confident in my solution.
Good running!
Old 02-22-2016, 11:48 AM   #1357
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Whatever you do, don't take away the ability to turn pages with the decice's volume buttons! That's what allows me to use a cheap, bluetooth media/shutter remote to turn pages without having to touch the screen when on the treadmill!
Old 02-22-2016, 12:19 PM   #1358
Jean-Marie

Quote:
Whatever you do, don't take away the ability to turn pages with the decice's volume buttons! That's what allows me to use a cheap, bluetooth media/shutter remote to turn pages without having to touch the screen when on the treadmill!
Haha ! Great idea ! Maybe we could try to analyze eye blinks :-)
EDIT - Maybe a good starting point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8m4ovTZSYA :-D

Last edited by Jean-Marie; 02-22-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #1359
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Jean-Marie,

It's nice to see communication on MR by a senior guy from one of the best Android reader apps. At the risk of pushing my luck ...
  1. On the subject of Bluetooth connected devices ... perhaps I can put in a request for you to consider adding the ability to control Mantano Text-to-Speech with the media control buttons on Bluetooth headsets (as some of your competitor reader apps already do). This would be a great help when trying to listen to books when the app buttons are not easily accessible (e.g. out walking, painting the house).

Ability to start/stop the TTS via the headset Play/Pause button would be great. If you were also able to add Forward-a-Paragraph/Back-a-Paragraph via the headset Next-Track/Previous-Track buttons, that would be even better

2. How about fine-tuning the control of font-size. I love the ability to change by sliding up/down the the right edge of the screen but the jumps between one size and the next are too large to get the size I want on my phone. If it's not possible to do it via the slider an extra setting in Themes would also work OK.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:38 PM   #1360
Jean-Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@Jean-Marie,

It's nice to see communication on MR by a senior guy from one of the best Android reader apps. At the risk of pushing my luck ...
  1. On the subject of Bluetooth connected devices ... perhaps I can put in a request for you to consider adding the ability to control Mantano Text-to-Speech with the media control buttons on Bluetooth headsets (as some of your competitor reader apps already do). This would be a great help when trying to listen to books when the app buttons are not easily accessible (e.g. out walking, painting the house).

Ability to start/stop the TTS via the headset Play/Pause button would be great. If you were also able to add Forward-a-Paragraph/Back-a-Paragraph via the headset Next-Track/Previous-Track buttons, that would be even better

2. How about fine-tuning the control of font-size. I love the ability to change by sliding up/down the the right edge of the screen but the jumps between one size and the next are too large to get the size I want on my phone. If it's not possible to do it via the slider an extra setting in Themes would also work OK.
Hello jackie_w,
Thanks a lot for the compliment, it's much appreciated! It's great for me to have the opportunity to discuss with advanced users as I can find there. I can't do that more frequently but from time to time I like it a lot, too, it's very motivating :-)
Your feature requests are very interesting, I carefully take them into account (they're now in my JIRA backlog...). Both requests related to TTS look rather simple to implement, so I'll try to add them on our short term roadmap...
Cheers,
JM
Old 03-30-2016, 07:13 PM   #1361
sangahm
Enthusiast
sangahm began at the beginning.

Device: nook HD, Palm T3, iPhone
Hello Jean-Marie-

Any chance we could see an enhancement to show in the status bar the number of pages until the end of the chapter? This is a must have for me, especially when reading longer books.
sangahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:57 AM   #1362
Jean-Marie

Hello Sangham !
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangahm View Post
Hello Jean-Marie-

Any chance we could see an enhancement to show in the status bar the number of pages until the end of the chapter? This is a must have for me, especially when reading longer books.
Good idea. I will add it on the backlog!
BTW, we're preparing a quite huge update. The app will be renamed "Bookari", and will contain a lot of bugfixes and some improvements that we keep secret for now. This will be the beginning of a new era, very focused on robustness and innovation ;-)

Cheers!
Old 03-31-2016, 11:20 AM   #1363
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
It would be really fantastic if it were possible to attach the notes to the epub or pdf instead of exporting the notes separately.
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #1364
Jean-Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
It would be really fantastic if it were possible to attach the notes to the epub or pdf instead of exporting the notes separately.
Hi-ella Tanjamuse, sorry for the late reply. Yes, we frequently have this feature request, and we're "thinking" about it seriously. I cannot give any ETA, though. This is a mid-term project, with a lot of gray areas (for Epub).
Cheers,
Old 04-08-2016, 06:43 PM   #1365
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
No thumbs up for the new one. Crashed and had to be reloaded. And a step back - no longer goes back to the book you were reading after going to the tablet home page - i.e. from Mantano press the home button (not Mantano's home), do some android stuff, press Mantano icon and it takes me back to the book shelf. Not acceptable for me.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote