Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-05-2016, 06:04 PM   #1336
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Thanks. I'm hoping a new version will actually work for me. I need to have left justify to be able to read. Mantano can't seem to override that anymore, and I think it's been quite awhile since it could.
The EPUB3 engine in 2.5.6 allows me to override the alignment, but you're right ... the EPUB2 engine doesn't seem to be able to override a book that has full justification mandated by css.

I always use full justification so I've really never noticed before.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #1337
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I need to have left justify to be able to read. Mantano can't seem to override that anymore, and I think it's been quite awhile since it could.
Works OK for me, via Theme - Edit - Text alignment.

If it's not working for you it's likely that the text-align css inside your epubs is taking precedence. If Mantano is like many other ADE-based reading programs (e.g. eink Kobos and Sonys) it will only override epub internal css at the top level, i.e. <body>. If your epubs have text-align set to 'justify' at a lower level than <body> then you'll be out of luck unless you do a bit of epub surgery in calibre or Sigil. Easy enough but maybe too tedious.

As an observation, most Amazon books I've purchased are riddled with superfluous text-aligns (and others) in the css. However, I suppose it's possible that they're mandatory rather than superfluous on Amazon devices .
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #1338
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The EPUB3 engine in 2.5.6 allows me to override the alignment, but you're right ... the EPUB2 engine doesn't seem to be able to override a book that has full justification mandated by css.

I always use full justification so I've really never noticed before.
I just tried with EPUB3 engine and it still still doesn't work. The book is The Inner Circle by Robert Swartwood, but I've had others that don't work. I try the app out occasionally with different books, and it just never does something I need. I remember at one point it couldn't even override fonts correctly. It could do normal but not italic.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:56 PM   #1339
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Works OK for me, via Theme - Edit - Text alignment.

If it's not working for you it's likely that the text-align css inside your epubs is taking precedence. If Mantano is like many other ADE-based reading programs (e.g. eink Kobos and Sonys) it will only override epub internal css at the top level, i.e. <body>. If your epubs have text-align set to 'justify' at a lower level than <body> then you'll be out of luck unless you do a bit of epub surgery in calibre or Sigil. Easy enough but maybe too tedious.

As an observation, most Amazon books I've purchased are riddled with superfluous text-aligns (and others) in the css. However, I suppose it's possible that they're mandatory rather than superfluous on Amazon devices .
I know it's probably the css, but I used to edit books back when I used my Sony reader because I had to. It takes too long and I'd rather spend that time reading. Most fiction books are fine with Moon+ for me, but some need to not be overriden so completely. I don't remember Mantano having problems with so many books before, so I don't know if it's the books or the app.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #1340
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Spoke too soon about the "whole book progress" indicator in EPUB3s, by the way. It's there and it shows the total page-count, but I've been on page one for about thirteen chapters now.
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 08:36 AM   #1341
Jean-Marie
Mantano President&Founder
Jean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the rough

Device: Many, many...
Quote:
Spoke too soon about the "whole book progress" indicator in EPUB3s, by the way. It's there and it shows the total page-count, but I've been on page one for about thirteen chapters now.
Hello !

I'm jean-Marie, the founder of Mantano.
First of all I have not visited this thread for a long time and I apologize for it since the Mobileread audience has always been a great support for us. We've been doing a lot of things lately (including contributions to the Readium SDK and involvement in the Readium Foundation as well as the launch of a kind of "spinoff" of ths Foundation, the European Digital Reading Lab) and we hope you will appreciate the small improvements that we will progressively release.

I'll try to look at other messages and provide some replies. Of course I won't be able to reply to everyone.

Now, one word about this issue: the fix (already done) will be included in the next release which should normally occur within 2 weeks approx.

See you soon, there or anywhere ;-)
PS: we'll be present at the Epub Summit in Bordeaux, I hope I'll have the pleasure to meet some of you ;-)

Cheers
Jean-Marie
Jean-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:52 AM   #1342
Jean-Marie
Jean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the roughJean-Marie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Thanks. I'm hoping a new version will actually work for me. I need to have left justify to be able to read. Mantano can't seem to override that anymore, and I think it's been quite awhile since it could.
Hello Purple Lady,

You don't have left justify anymore ? On Epub 2 or 3 ? On specific books ? Did you submit a case to our support ? I am currently chasing any small issue that can be reported through the miscellaneous channels in order to fix them asap.
Sometimes our support can be slow to reply due to workload but in any case we do deep reviews periodically, so don't hesitate.
I hope the next evolutions will satisfy. We'll be very, very carefully listening to your feedback.
Cheers
Jean-Marie
Old 02-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #1343
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marie View Post
Hello Purple Lady,

You don't have left justify anymore ? On Epub 2 or 3 ? On specific books ? Did you submit a case to our support ? I am currently chasing any small issue that can be reported through the miscellaneous channels in order to fix them asap.
Sometimes our support can be slow to reply due to workload but in any case we do deep reviews periodically, so don't hesitate.
I hope the next evolutions will satisfy. We'll be very, very carefully listening to your feedback.
Cheers
Jean-Marie
It's been all I've tried lately and the last I tried using both epub 2 and 3. Mantano just has had so many problems I've given up on it. Problems with overriding fonts is one that has been fixed and broken a few times - it works for regular but not italic. I believe that works for now. Here's a screenshot where part is left justified and part full justified. The drop cap is also screwed up. It's "A Clean Kill in Tokyo" by Barry Eisler.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1455752741674.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	146442
Old 02-17-2016, 07:33 PM   #1344
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marie View Post
Now, one word about this issue: the fix (already done) will be included in the next release which should normally occur within 2 weeks approx.

See you soon, there or anywhere ;-)
Thanks a bunch for the fix. Keep up the good work. I've not read an ebook with anything else for about two years now.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:00 PM   #1345
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
The one thing that still bugs me, is the bookmarking symbol. It is okay in portrait mode, but I read on a 10" tablet in widescreen and with the two pages layout. And since that was changed a while ago, I now have that symbol on both sides and need very big margins to not have it overlap with the text. Why not an option to make it completely transparent? Why only this outline thing?
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #1346
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
The one thing that still bugs me, is the bookmarking symbol. It is okay in portrait mode, but I read on a 10" tablet in widescreen and with the two pages layout. And since that was changed a while ago, I now have that symbol on both sides and need very big margins to not have it overlap with the text. Why not an option to make it completely transparent? Why only this outline thing?
I sent an email on the support forum on this exact matter in the past. Even in portrait mode it requires larger vertical margins than I prefer so as no to overlap the text while bookmarked or while the outline is present. I did offer a suggest, a compromise if you will, to make it completely transparent when the "Expert Mode" was enabled. Truth be told, I'd like the outline gone altogether, but I never received a response.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:32 AM   #1347
Jean-Marie

Quote:
Thanks a bunch for the fix. Keep up the good work. I've not read an ebook with anything else for about two years now.
Thanks a lot, glad to read that :-)
JM
Old 02-19-2016, 04:33 AM   #1348
Jean-Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
OK, me too ;-) It should be quite easy to fix :-D
Old 02-19-2016, 04:34 AM   #1349
Jean-Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhevi View Post
I sent an email on the support forum on this exact matter in the past. Even in portrait mode it requires larger vertical margins than I prefer so as no to overlap the text while bookmarked or while the outline is present. I did offer a suggest, a compromise if you will, to make it completely transparent when the "Expert Mode" was enabled. Truth be told, I'd like the outline gone altogether, but I never received a response.
OK, I agree and also vote for this !
Old 02-19-2016, 05:17 AM   #1350
Jean-Marie

For those who were frustrated by the lack of consistency of some theme customization, such as Purple Lady which had some books where the text alignment setting was not always taken into account, we have just found a fix! It's a dirty hack but works definitely well. The setting will always have precedence over any styling specified in the book. So the typical case is a <p class="txt"> where class txt specifies a text-alig. The RMSDK doesn't support !important declarations, hence the issue. But a small patch does the job reliably.
So, stay tuned, the next version will fix this.
Beyond that, one word of caution: we (and everyone else, especially the Readium contributors) are dedicating a lot of our energy on developing the Epub 3 "engine" (this term is not really appropriate but I have no better one). So we are doing a few fixes in the legacy RMSDK-based engine in order to "close" this component in a clean and reliable state but the future should be brighter since we'll have a really total control over the whole engine. Even Adobe is now integrating what we do in the Readium project, it's a good sign ;-)

Best regards,
Jean-Marie