Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Sony Reader freezes on start up

I bought a Sony Reader today and after putting the free 100 Classics on it, it now freezes on start up even after a reset. It connects to the eBook Library software if I connect it to my PC while its booting up after the reset but as soon as I remove the USB cable, it freezes with the circular logo of two arrows in the centre and "Loading...." on the bottom of the screen. In this state it does not respond to any button presses. I think I may have to take it back tomorrow. Is there anyway I can rectify this without a replacement?
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
cyan
Connoisseur
cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, kindle, android
It's processing all the books you just added to the reader. Leave it in the loading state, it will finish eventually. This happens whenever you add a new book to the reader or switch memory cards.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the circular logo moves, just wait until it's done and it will be fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
It's processing all the books you just added to the reader. Leave it in the loading state, it will finish eventually. This happens whenever you add a new book to the reader or switch memory cards.
Thanks for the response. I did wait for a long time and nothing happened so I did a hard reset and that seems to have fixed the issue. Maybe I had too many books on the internal memory?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Did you unplug the cable before closing the Library software?
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
corroonb
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Did you unplug the cable before closing the Library software?
That might have been it. I'll be more careful in future.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
That might have been it. I'll be more careful in future.
Make sure you eject the device before disconnecting. In eBook Library there is a little up arrow icon that will do this. Or, you can eject it using Windows itself... there is usually a little USB devices icon in the tray when something is connected. Right click on this and you will get a menu which allows you to unmount the devices.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
Ver
Ver began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PR505
Won't stop loading

Hi! I have exactly the same problem but my reader won't stop loading, and turning on and off (says "Starting Up") until the battery wears down. It's still loading even then!
I've also done a soft reset and a hard reset. I've installed all my books again by drag and drop. It just takes forever and won't work
Please can you help?
x
Ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver View Post
Hi! I have exactly the same problem but my reader won't stop loading, and turning on and off (says "Starting Up") until the battery wears down. It's still loading even then!
I've also done a soft reset and a hard reset. I've installed all my books again by drag and drop. It just takes forever and won't work
Please can you help?
x
I'd start first by removing all your books from the device. You might have a corrupted file in there. Add about 10 books at a time, making sure that it will load up properly each time before you try to add more. Or you can use a computer epub reader (Adobe has one) and open each book to see if you can find a problem with any of them.

Vic

Last edited by VicLavigne; 01-02-2012 at 08:08 PM.
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #10
Ver
Ver began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PR505
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLavigne View Post
I'd start first by removing all your books from the device. You might have a corrupted file in there. Add about 10 books at a time, making sure that it will load up properly each time before you try to add more. Or you can use a computer epub reader (Adobe has one) and open each book to see if you can find a problem with any of them.

Vic
Thanks so much! You were quite right and I was trying to install too many books in one go. I've been a little patient this time and it's fine.
Ver is offline   Reply With Quote