Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What eink device(s) first caught your attention?

Which eink device(s) first caught your attention and which one(s) did you end up purchasing?

For me, my wife bought a 500 and I liked it enough to also purchase one. Then when the 505 came out, I sold my 500 and purchased the 505. My wife still has her 500. At the time my wife bought her 500, what we had on the forum was the 500 and the iLiad. The iLiad being too expensive for me, I went with the 500. Also being compatible with my wife was also a big reason too.

What really help to sell the 500 to me was the third party software that was available via MobileRead. The support was/is excellent. So by being able to take content other then what Sony sold and convert it easily was a big draw. I would not have purchased the 500 if it was not for MobileRead. Now my mother-in-Law as a 500 as well (thanks to Sony Rewards).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
It has to be the Kindle- that came first courtesy of Amazon.com (not".co.uk").
Google then showed me the Sony; and MR.
Came to MR and discovered the Cybook.
'twas love ever after...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
The Kindle. First I ever heard of eInk. Got one. Love it. Might consider Iliad if they ever get the kinks worked out.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Sony Reader
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Sony PRS-500.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
The Sony Librié. When I first heard about it I got all excited because it was only few weeks before I took a trip to Japan. Alas, at the time I arrived, it was still no in stores. So I flew back with empty bags ;(
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Kindle... Later Cybook and iLead. Then MobileRead. Now I don't know!

Kidding. Right now I'm inclined for the Cybook, although Heinlein V3 got me intrigged, specialy with zip and rar support (BeBook doesn't have it, I've asked). I'm also curious about Astak, but I guess it will take a few months for the 6" model release.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:17 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Sony Reader PRS-500.

I asked a question about ebook readers on a russian forum. I said that the most important issue is my eyes. I cannot read from computer screens. One guy told me that there is only one solution - Sony. It was in November 2006. Bought mine in January 2007, tooth fairy brought it to me
I am totally in love with the reader. Although I was buying it only as sunstitute for hardback books when I go on holidays, I don't read paper book since then at all.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:45 AM   #9
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Originally the Illiad, But once I got over the heart attack that the price gave me I gave up on getting an E-ink device for a while.

When I seriously started looking for another device, the only options I could find besides the Illiad were the Sony PRS-500 and the Hanlin V3.

Indeed, I was quiet close to getting the Hanlin Through a French Reseller (I wasn't going to do a bank transfer to china),but was still wary of the price.

Then Was able to get the Sony from a E-bay reseller who shipped it to UK for me. Ended up costing me about £220 in total counting Customs duty's.

But it was well worth it. and Once I passed it on, I couldn't resist, and along came the Gen 3, as I figured it was a better deal for me. May have bought it originally, If it had been available at that time.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:47 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
although Heinlein V3 got me intrigged
Are you sure it was not Starship Troopers IV?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:58 AM   #11
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I stumbled across a magazine blurb about the Sony PRS-500 a year or so ago. I checked out Sony's website and pondered the possibility of buying it for a while. However, part of my job involves testing specialized software. The vendor's initial release of a new software version always has issues and defects. I decided to wait, especially when I hadn't seen any other product like it. I used that time to see what kind of books were available. What would be the point of having a device for reading ebooks if there weren't any ebooks I wanted to read? That's when I discovered MobileRead. And my eyes were opened...WIDE! I found that there were similar products and plenty of books to keep me happy. I bought my 505 in November 2007. It goes everywhere with me and I show it off to anyone who expresses an inkling of interest.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:38 AM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
The Sony Librié
This is how I found Mobileread.com.

I have read somewhere about Librie and I was looking for more information about the subject. And Mobileread had the best info ... ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:50 PM   #13
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which eink device(s) first caught your attention and which one(s) did you end up purchasing?...
The Kindle hype (which was never an option for me anyway) caught my attention, which brought me to MR, which had me choosing between the Cybook and the Iliad. I bought the Iliad, though I still like the Cybook.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #14
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
Actually, Pshrynk (or it could have been Damon) was talking about his new Kindle over on the NutriSystem forums. I then googled a bit and found it on Amazon (of course). I researched for about two weeks and went back and forth between the Kindle and the Sony 505. I chose the Kindle and thus far am very happy.

I think ebook readers are very much like cars: once a person gets comfortable with their choice it becomes a part of them.
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I didn't know any other e-ink readers existed until I started researching the Kindle. I used to read ebooks years ago on my Handspring Visor Prisim.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote