Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
juanito
juanito began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle International Charges - Colour me Confused

I've recently bought 2 books from amazon for my Kindle 2 here in Japan. The first one I bought 2 days ago from my computer. Cost was $5.01 and i transfered it to my Kindle from my PC to avoid extra charges.
Today I bought a 2nd book. Same price. But from my Kindle2 directly. No additional charges were added.

I thought it cost extra, even a few days ago when I checked this seemed to be the case. Has something changed? The book is a little more expensive than the USA version but I thought that was down to region pricing not delivery charges.

Have amazon been changing there policy and not telling anyone? I'm confused.

Jonny
juanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's never been any more expensive to get a book delivered via Whispernet in your own country. The only circumstance in which it is more expensive is if you live in the USA, have your Kindle registered there, and then buy a book while travelling in a different country. In that case, and in ONLY that case, there is a surcharge for the wireless delivery.

However, for people outside the US, the books themselves are about $2 more expensive than they are in the US. Although Amazon don't explicitly call it such, it is a wireless delivery charge, but it applies whether or not you actually get the book delivered wirelessly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 04:23 AM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's never been any more expensive to get a book delivered via Whispernet in your own country.<snip>

However, for people outside the US, the books themselves are about $2 more expensive than they are in the US. Although Amazon don't explicitly call it such, it is a wireless delivery charge, but it applies whether or not you actually get the book delivered wirelessly.
Well, that's your view.

For the rest of us with an account not tagged "USofA" we pay abt $2 Amazon/AT&T tax on EVERY purchase.

Plus we are denied pictures in ALL publications for which we pay MORE for such as New York Times or Economist, paid the same for the Kindle 2 but aren't even allowed to buy the Kindle DX, paid way more for "shipping", are not allowed to buy ANY alternative cases/skins/accessories, pay $2 for every "free" title for US customers, and have NO OPTION to avoid the wireless tax if we accept "Kindle PC" delivery. Dan Brown's latest Vatican mystery schlock is $2 more in Canada thanks literally to the NO OPTION wireless delivery.

OK, I get it: AT&T's contract extorts $2 from all non-US customers with wireless delivery. But, hey! Wireless is fine: but why can't I pay the same as the US customer and take "free" delivery to my Kindle PC account? And just a sec: if I cut AT&T wireless delivery out altogether, can't you lower the price ANOTHER $2 if I pick it up myself? So Dan Brown ought to be not $11.99 in Canada or $9.99 in the US but maybe $7.99 for all of us not bothering with A&T at all?

Last edited by SensualPoet; 01-01-2010 at 04:26 AM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:29 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Well, that's your view.

For the rest of us with an account not tagged "USofA" we pay abt $2 Amazon/AT&T tax on EVERY purchase.
Please read my post again. That is exactly what I said in it; that books are about $2 more expensive for people living outside the USA (such as myself).

Why are you arguing with me, when we are saying the same thing?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:36 AM   #5
juanito

I'm kinda bummed about the extra costs, I hadn't thought it would be so bad. As for it being a delivery cost I'm not sooo sure. They say its VAT which kinda is expected in the UK, but Dan Browns latest is actually $4 dollars more expensive in the UK. Its a bit much really and has definitely erked me some. Also annoying is I have to pay in USD. I think my credit company will have a few extra $'s to add on for that privilege. To top this off I can't group buy so it all counts as individual fees on my card. I think buying books from Amazon is currently way too expensive for me because of all this. Will have to take my business elsewhere.
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I don't like paying these extra costs any more than anyone else. But, you know, no-one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to do business with Amazon. The VAT and the wireless delivery charges are open and transparent. You knew about them before you bought your Kindle (or you could have done with a tiny bit of research), and you certainly know about them before you click the Buy button.

Anyone who is not happy with the situation can choose to obtain their Kindle books elsewhere, or can choose another ereader, or even do without it. It's a free market.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanito View Post
I'm kinda bummed about the extra costs, I hadn't thought it would be so bad. As for it being a delivery cost I'm not sooo sure. They say its VAT which kinda is expected in the UK, but Dan Browns latest is actually $4 dollars more expensive in the UK. Its a bit much really and has definitely erked me some. Also annoying is I have to pay in USD. I think my credit company will have a few extra $'s to add on for that privilege. To top this off I can't group buy so it all counts as individual fees on my card. I think buying books from Amazon is currently way too expensive for me because of all this. Will have to take my business elsewhere.
You can buy a gift card and apply that to your account. You'll pay the one time service fee to your credit card company and then all your Kindle book purchases would come out of the gift card bypassing additional credit card fees.

If you buy a lot of items from Amazon, I suggested you set up a separate account for your Kindle. If you keep the Kindle on the same account the next time you purchase a non-kindle book item, the money will be taken from the gift card first.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post

Plus we are denied pictures in ALL publications for which we pay MORE for such as New York Times or Economist, paid the same for the Kindle 2
I not longer have my Kindle subscription to the Los Angeles Times but I never had any pictures either. The occasional single copy of the NY Times might have one or two.

If you haven't tried the Calibre built-in recipes or tried to learn how to create your own, you should. They *do* come with pictures.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #9
juanito

I researched the Kindle alot before I bought it, and I am still happy with that decision. But before I bought it I was unable to check the UK prices for kindle books. It's my understanding you need to access your Kindle preferences before you can do that. But I did know they would be more expensive. I was hoping it wouldn't be as bad as it is.

Thanks for the Gift Card tip daffy4u I hadn't thought of that. Will definitely look into it.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
parsi
parsi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Whilst I agree that there wasn't a gun held to our heads to force a purchase there isn't any harm in the odd moan about pricing if only to ensure that amazon is noting these things.

Pricing isn't always bad though - last evening the latest from Dan Brown was working out at around 9euro whilst it was around 15euro on Waterstones.

I did notice that some Noel Hynd's books that I had got for $2.30 were now over $13 so there does seem to be a lot of fluctuation
parsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please read my post again. That is exactly what I said in it; that books are about $2 more expensive for people living outside the USA (such as myself).

Why are you arguing with me, when we are saying the same thing?
Sorry, Harry. My post came off with a tone I didn't intend. My apologies.

I like Amazon; I don't object to the wireless delivery charge if that is their chosen business model. I love my Kindle as is.

I do object to not having the ability to send content ONLY to the PC version so as to avoid the surcharge. Plus, Amazon ought to allow me to buy "full editions" of magazine content when delivered as a download instead of a wireless send.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:45 AM   #12
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsi View Post
Whilst I agree that there wasn't a gun held to our heads to force a purchase there isn't any harm in the odd moan about pricing if only to ensure that amazon is noting these things.
I like a good moan as much as anyone, although I'm not convinced that Amazon will take any notice of moans within this forum.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:49 AM   #13
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanito View Post
... before I bought it I was unable to check the UK prices for kindle books.
I find that surprising. I don't have an international Kindle, nor do I have a Kindle registered to a UK account, but I can clearly see the UK prices simply by going to the various product pages within Amazon.Com. I can also see any indication of the book not being available in the UK.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #14
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle2 Intl.
Come on you guys, 4 dollars are a MINOR extra cost. Besides who says that it should cost the same in every country anyway? I can not think of any example of that at all.
Euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote