Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #31
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd like to nominate the following....
Little Fuzzy by H. Beam Piper

Seconded - never read it, but heard a lot of good reports.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #32
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd like to nominate "The Time Machine", by H.G. Wells. Classic SF and available free from MR.
Not sure if it's necessary, but I nominate this one as well. Great classic SF story.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:45 PM   #33
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
That's the third nomination for 1632, so I think it should now make it onto the list of official nominations.

It's true about the sequels, but it really does also work as a stand-alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I will third 1632... though I just read it, so I hope you don't mind if I don't read it again .

One warning about 1632.. it works fine as a stand a lone novel... but there are have been a number of sequels, both novels and shorter fiction.... and the number is growing, practically on a daily basis. If you get hooked on the series, well... it could take a prominent place on your reading list for a while.

--
Bill
Old 12-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #34
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (unfortunately, it has that DRM thing)
Old 12-16-2008, 06:29 PM   #35
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I'd like to nominate the following....

Little Fuzzy by H. Beam Piper
I'd like to nomiate this option too (this is the 3rd vote).

=X=
Old 12-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #36
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I was just thinking about a favorite author that gets ignored in alot of lists and what-not... (Even with an award shelf not easily challenged by other authors in sf/f/h genres)

I'd like to suggest any of the following titles by Fritz Leiber;

Gather, Darkness!
The Green Millennium
The Wanderer

All available in MultiFormat, The Big Time is only available DRM'd from my searching so I didn't include it...
Old 12-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #37
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
The Time Machine by H. G. Wells
Key Out Of Time by Andre Norton
I, Robot by Isaac Asimov
Old 12-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #38
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ok,

Come on people... I am surprised only 3 books so far.

Anyway... I am going to nominate:

The Onuissance Cells by Seven Jordan

http://www.stevejordanbooks.com/novels.htm#onus (available for free)

BOb
Old 12-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #39
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
The Time Machine by H. G. Wells
Key Out Of Time by Andre Norton
I, Robot by Isaac Asimov
Second 'I, Robot' and 'The Time Machine.' I suggest that the Andre Norton would be better if we read from the beginning of that particular series: "The Time Traders." It's available from the Baen Free Library as Time Traders (which includes the first two books in the series: The Time Traders and Galactic Derelict).

Xenophon
Old 12-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #40
gaudentius
gaudentius began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Snow Crash - Third-ed(?)

Still one of my favorite go-to books to read. I hope that Kawasaki gets made soon!

GD
Old 12-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #41
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok,

Here are the thrice nominated books so far:

1. "The Mote in God's Eye" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

2. "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells

3. "1632" by Eric Flint

4. "Little Fuzzy" by H. Beam Piper

5. "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson

6. "I, Robot" by Isaac Asimov

Here are other nominations pending thirds:

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein

Here are single nominated books:

Mars Girl by Garrity
Evoguia
by Jordan
Neptune Crossing
by JefferyCarver
Halo: The Fall of Reach
by Eric Nylund
Neuromancer by William Gibson
The Peace War
by Victor Vinge
Double Star
by Robert Heinlein
Foundation
by Isaac Asimov
Voyage of the Space Beagle (The basis for ALIEN)
by A. E. Van Vogt
War of the Worlds
by H. G. Wells
Scroogled
by Cory Doctorow
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom
by Cory Doctorow
Red Mars
by Kim Stanley Robinson
Gather, Darkness!
by Fritz Leiber
The Green Millennium
by Fritz Leiber
The Wanderer
by Fritz Leiber
Key Out Of Time
by Andre Norton
The Onuissance Cells
by Seven Jordan
If I missed any nominations let me know.

BTW: Do people think we should limit each person to three nominations? Or leave it as unlimited like we have been doing? So far we don't have too many books nominated (this month anyway).

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 12-17-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #42
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Second 'I, Robot'
Third I, Robot.

BOb
Old 12-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that it's the holidays and money is tight, I suggest leaving off all the ones that are not free since the big Fictionwise sale is over.

Since the list is not that big, we could set them all up for voting.

Little Fuzzy did get seconded BTW.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-17-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Given that it's the holidays and money is tight, I suggest leaving off all the ones that are not free.

Since the list is not that big, we could set them all up for voting.
What does everyone think about this? That will cut the nominated current list down to 2 I believe. Should the MRBC always go with free books? This is your club I'm just a minion. Should we start another thread about this?

BOb
Old 12-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You missed my last edit that said Little Fuzzy has been seconded.
Closed Thread