Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #46
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
My wife gifted me the KFire for Christmas. I tried it for a week(I always try gadgets out for a week to give them a fair spin) and came to the conclusion I did not like it. It's a real nice looking device but it's not for me. I wanted a real tablet and freedom to read any format I wish as well as purchasing content from any vendor. I had this and more with my nook (CM7) I ended up returning the KFire.

=X=
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismonkey View Post
Why didn't you try to root the KFire like the nook to get those extra features. I have a friend working on rooting the KFire too see if he can get ICS on there. Just for fun.
Yeah, you can run CM7 on the Fire too, and I hear it works pretty well. CM9 is pretty much there too, I hear.
And you can use any reader app you want to read various formats without rooting at all.
And if by "purchasing content from any vendor" you mean "Google Play" then you can do that by rooting, too fairly simply.
So get that Fire back!

ApK
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #47
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
This is probably old new to you guys, but the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is on sale for $220 at eBay through this link:
http://www.droiddog.com/android-blog...-amazing-deal/.

Really tempted...especially after reading David Marseilles' remarks today.

Last edited by CharlieBird; 05-10-2012 at 09:02 PM.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #48
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Yeah, you can run CM7 on the Fire too, and I hear it works pretty well. CM9 is pretty much there too, I hear.
And you can use any reader app you want to read various formats without rooting at all.
And if by "purchasing content from any vendor" you mean "Google Play" then you can do that by rooting, too fairly simply.
So get that Fire back!

ApK
No way.. get the Tab2 pay up to $50 more and get faster speed, bluetooth, a mic, and gps!
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #49
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
No way.. get the Tab2 pay up to $50 more and get faster speed, bluetooth, a mic, and gps!
Speaking of GPS, what GPS tech do these device use? Actual Navstar-type sat receivers? Or some terrestrial network-based system?
That is, will the GPS work in the middle of the ocean, with no cell towers or wifi?
If so do they require a view of the sky, or will they use a terrestrial system when indoors and such, even if they are not actually signed into a wifi network?
Old 05-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #50
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I use my Galaxy Tab 10.1 as GPS with the Navigon app. Works just as well as my TomTom (which got appropriated by my daughter) and much easier to read the screen (10. 1 means I don't need my reading glasses...) . It works indoors just fine too. I would image Samsung uses the same type of GPS technology in the Tab 2 (Navstar)
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #51
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Speaking of GPS, what GPS tech do these device use? Actual Navstar-type sat receivers? Or some terrestrial network-based system?
That is, will the GPS work in the middle of the ocean, with no cell towers or wifi?
If so do they require a view of the sky, or will they use a terrestrial system when indoors and such, even if they are not actually signed into a wifi network?
It will use wifi location if it cant get true GPS satellites
Old 05-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #52
dougf4
Connoisseur
dougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Tablet (Rooted), jetbook lite
Netflix Issue - I am experiencing very, "laggy" scroll response on the netflix app. By this I mean in the app menu where you scroll through your movie choices. Both up and down and side-to-side scrolling is darn near non existent.

Movies play perfectly very crisp and smooth, it is just in trying to navigate and find a movie where this occurs.

On other aps such as Pulse or Taptu News similar scrolling is very quick and fluid. It is not wi-fi strength related.

I have downloaded Flash 11 and re-installed the netflix app from the the Google Play Store.

I also use a rooted Nook Tablet and the netflix app works flawlessly on it. In fact you can get the scrolling to look like a slot machine on it with the speed it produces.

I would appreciate hearing other's netflix experience with the Tab 2 7.0. Suggested fixes as well of course! Maybe it is just the app itself not configured for Ice Cream Sandwich??

Thank you in advance!!
dougf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #53
ApK

A friend who has ICS on his Fire said an issue with scrolling through Netflix choices is the one glitch he'd noticed so far versus the stock OS, so maybe it is an ICS compatibility thing.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #54
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
A friend who has ICS on his Fire said an issue with scrolling through Netflix choices is the one glitch he'd noticed so far versus the stock OS, so maybe it is an ICS compatibility thing.
Nah. I have an HP TouchPad running CM9 alpha 2 (Android 4.0.3) and Netflix works perfectly.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #55
volwrath
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougf4 View Post
Netflix Issue - I am experiencing very, "laggy" scroll response on the netflix app. By this I mean in the app menu where you scroll through your movie choices. Both up and down and side-to-side scrolling is darn near non existent.
I would appreciate hearing other's netflix experience with the Tab 2 7.0. Suggested fixes as well of course! Maybe it is just the app itself not configured for Ice Cream Sandwich??
I have the same issue to a degree. Its not near non-existent, but I agree it could be much more smooth. Very interesting issue.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #56
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
From what I call tell from the specs I can find, the samsung gtabs use AGPS (assisted gps) recievers. They are satalite recievers and will work (and find your location with the appropriate app ) anywhere. The assist comes from wifi, and is used only to speed up the initial lock. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS. You can also get apps that will update "stale" GPS data to get a faster lock. They do need a view of the sky with no metal in between, I can use mine in my house, but not at work. My Acer A100 works great in both my cars below dash level (out of the sun ).

I believe that you need to be signed into a network to be able to use WiFi positioning (ala Google Maps), at least I've never come across an app that stores maps on your device, but uses known Wifi networks for positioning.

I use Copilot and it looks like they've added a free 2d version. Copilot free
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #57
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/09/s...udent-edition/

Quote:
We've just heard from a helpful tipster that a student edition of the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is due to be stacked on shelves around August 19th, which keeps the regular $249 selling price of the 8GB WiFi-only model but bundles a keyboard dock and USB peripheral connector.
That's an impressive little setup right there.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #58
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/09/s...udent-edition/

That's an impressive little setup right there.
yeah, i want those add-ons :P
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #59
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
With a killer price and specs on the Nexus 7 and lower prices from B&N, new tabs are on the way for the holidays. I'll wait for the quad-core SGT3.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:04 AM   #60
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i'm waiting for the SGN 2 can't wait to see it.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote