Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Apple Announces New Iphone & Ipod

Quote:
CUPERTINO, California - February 5, 2008 - Apple today added new models of the iPhone and iPod touch which have double the memory, doubling the amount of music, photos and videos that customers can carry with them wherever they go. The revolutionary iPhone now comes in a new 16GB model for $499, joining the 8GB model for $399. iPod touch now comes in a 32GB model for $499, joining the 16GB model for $399 and the 8GB model for $299.
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008...ipodtouch.html

Looks like I was right about that rumor a few weeks back.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
32 Gb is not enough for an iPod. I listen to all kind of music (rock, electronica, jazz, world, soul, hip-hop...) and I could barely make a decent selection on 32 Gb. If you also consider the fact that the iPod Touch is a very nice device for video podcasts (I can't imagine watching a TV show or a movie on it), it gets even worse. Apple, you should consider a 80 Gb iPod Touch, not with flash but HDD. It might be thicker, but it'll be cheaper too.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
Blue
Connoisseur
Blue is on a distinguished road

Hehehe I just got my new iPhone this morning
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
32 Gb is not enough for an iPod. I listen to all kind of music (rock, electronica, jazz, world, soul, hip-hop...) and I could barely make a decent selection on 32 Gb.
I also have a huge selection, but I do fine with my 8GB Sansa, which I occasionally resync with a random selection from my library. Fact is, I probably could go months with that before I'd have any desire to update it. Personally, I don't feel like I need more than that for most of my uses. (I have a 120GB HD in my Phatbox in my car, which is where I do most of my music listening anyways.)

Jason
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
drgnbear
Evil alien overlord.
drgnbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Why not a 32GB iPhone? Makes me crazy.
drgnbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
so that they can announce a 32Gb iPhone in another few months.

seriously, it's not like they want to keep the storage down, it's probably a cost/benefit calculation.

16 gig iPhone, that's about as much as the first iPod I purchased (20 gig), and I have yet to fill it up.
I don't like having all my songs on one little device, because if there's too much on it, I can't find the stuff I want to listen to
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:57 AM   #7
Eutychus
Eutychus began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
16 or 32 depends on size inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnbear View Post
Why not a 32GB iPhone? Makes me crazy.
I understand the problem is that the iPhone only has room for a single 16 gig chip whereas the iPod Touch has room for two.
Eutychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
32 Gb is not enough for an iPod. I listen to all kind of music (rock, electronica, jazz, world, soul, hip-hop...) and I could barely make a decent selection on 32 Gb.
I have 350 songs taking up less than half of a 4GB player. I'm still working on it, but I consider it to be a good selection. Out of curiosity (and understanding that you are not me), how many songs would you consider a "decent selection"?

I also got my player for $130, which I consider to be a good deal. I wouldn't mind an iPod touch, but at those prices, I can still wait.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
I don't like having all my songs on one little device, because if there's too much on it, I can't find the stuff I want to listen to
Folders and playlists are good for that. (Me, I just run it on shuffle, and let the jazz roll right over me, man! )
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:55 AM   #10
drgnbear
Evil alien overlord.
drgnbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The storage problem on my iPhone adds up to video not music. Plenty of room for music for me but add video and you quickly want alot more.
drgnbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:26 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnbear View Post
The storage problem on my iPhone adds up to video not music. Plenty of room for music for me but add video and you quickly want alot more.
Audiobooks are another thing that can be big. A large book can easily be over 1GB as an audiobook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Audiobooks are another thing that can be big. A large book can easily be over 1GB as an audiobook.
Wow, that is a really long book. An audiobook should be no larger than about 15 Meg per hour. Format 2 books from audible are less than 4 Meg per hour. I suppose that if you want concert quality reading in stereo you can get the file size up how can that be necessary or even reasonable.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Wow, that is a really long book. An audiobook should be no larger than about 15 Meg per hour. Format 2 books from audible are less than 4 Meg per hour. I suppose that if you want concert quality reading in stereo you can get the file size up how can that be necessary or even reasonable.

Dale

The biggest one I can think of from Audible is War & Peace which is 65 hours 24 min. and is 938 megs in format 4.

If the book is on MP3 CD though I've seen a fair number of 16+ hour books take up more than a gig due to the producers using a high sample rate (which is really unnecessary for spoken word).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:39 AM   #14
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
32 Gb is not enough for an iPod. I listen to all kind of music (rock, electronica, jazz, world, soul, hip-hop...) and I could barely make a decent selection on 32 Gb. If you also consider the fact that the iPod Touch is a very nice device for video podcasts (I can't imagine watching a TV show or a movie on it), it gets even worse. Apple, you should consider a 80 Gb iPod Touch, not with flash but HDD. It might be thicker, but it'll be cheaper too.

Problem with HDD based devices is the HDD itself. It's too fragile to be used for anything beyind walking while listening. I have owned an original iPod and a Creative Zen Xtra. The iPod I sold then bought the Creative. I went through a couple HDD before I realized they are not meant for using while active...even just the gym can be hazardous. So ever since, it's flash ram and memory cards of some sort for me. I recently put a 100gb HDD in my Zen Xtra so i can have my full library of Audible books on a single device. I use it with some 900mhz Sennheiser headphones around the house or when in my home office.

HDD based devices are fine until you bounce them around a bit...

I am currently hunting a new 8gb or so small device for more portability but it must support Audible.

I like the iPod Touch but for the money I don't see any real advantage over devices 1/2 (or less) then the price of the iTouch.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post

I am currently hunting a new 8gb or so small device for more portability but it must support Audible.

I like the iPod Touch but for the money I don't see any real advantage over devices 1/2 (or less) then the price of the iTouch.
I have a 2nd generation nano that supports audible just fine.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote