Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you been affected by iPhone 4 reception issues?
Not to any significant extent. 8 53.33%
Yes, but I can live with it, or I've got around it (eg with a case). 4 26.67%
Yes, and it makes the phone unusable for me. 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you been practically affected by iPhone 4 reception issues?

I'm curious to know how many people have actually been practically affected by iPhone 4 reception issues. Speaking personally, for example, I suffered some mild signal loss, but fixed it entirely with a £2.99 case from eBay. Scott, on the other hand, reports that every time he picks up his phone, he entirely loses the signal.

Which is more typical? My circumstance, or Scott's?

Please only vote in this poll if you have an iPhone 4.

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Managed to get my hands on one last Friday and have to say I haven't been affected by this at all, on the contrary, I get better reception from my iP4 than I ever did from my 3G - and slightly bizarrely, better WiFi reception from it than I get from my iPad...

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Harry, one of the issues is the signal strength for your location. Touching the wrong spot on the iPhone 4 will kill +/-20db signal strength, if you are in a good signal area, no problem. Where I live, you will loose connection completely if you drop that much. The signal strength is going to vary depending on where you are.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
My brother has one, and even in SF with its crap coverage we can't duplicate the problem, even following the spot of death, grip of death, etc...Really weird. But its not something we've tested extensively...he said the phone works much better than his 3G.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
Robert Minneman
Connoisseur
Robert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony PRS-505
I've had mine almost a week now. So far no issues with reception. I'm left handed and before I put the case on my phone could absolutely see that the reception dropped when I held it like I normally would.

I'm to "risk averse" when it comes my phones to NOT have a protective case on them, so with the case, no significant reception problems. It's certainly no worse than my previous iPhone 3G, and I've noticed no increase in the number of dropped calls. All dropped calls have been attributed to my relatives calling me from basements.

I mean seriously, come on, stop calling me when you're in the damn basement people...
Robert Minneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
well what's funny is i have been in 7 states over the past 3 weeks and i can duplicate the problem everywhere i've been. i'll admit i'm left-handed (holding the phone in the left hand is more likely to cause the problem) and i've got some meaty mitts. some reports have said it can vary on how wet your hand might be (sweating my ass off this hot summer) and a person's ability to conduct electricity and short out the antenna. i'd guess wearing gloves my alleviate the problem just as well as a good case might. either my particular phone is extra sensitive to the issue or i just got fat sweaty conductive hands. but i have been able to duplicate the problem everywhere i go. putting the phone in my old 3gs silicone case does help (some times i've still seen a bar drop if i held tightly, but usually no issue).
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Harry, please get rid of the just show me the results answer. It skews the % of the other answers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Harry, please get rid of the just show me the results answer. It skews the % of the other answers.
But what if we don't have an iPhone 4 and still want to see the results?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
he could just close the poll in a week or two and then the results will be available for all. the percentages are off because of the bogus answer, but the numbers are accurate i guess.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #10
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
If anyone is interested in comments by an antenna designer, see:

http://www.antennasys.com/antennasys...artmodule.html

He's going to post actual test results at some point.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
But what if we don't have an iPhone 4 and still want to see the results?
There's a link right under the poll that says ... view poll results. So having a poll option for it is crazy and wrong and skews the results.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
well what's funny is i have been in 7 states over the past 3 weeks and i can duplicate the problem everywhere i've been. i'll admit i'm left-handed (holding the phone in the left hand is more likely to cause the problem)
I am right handed but hold my phone in the left hand when talking. I thought that was the most common way to do things and maybe that left handed people used the right hand...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #13
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I am right handed but hold my phone in the left hand when talking. I thought that was the most common way to do things and maybe that left handed people used the right hand...
I think that's the natural way, I mean why would a right handed person use his left hand to type onscreen... for me hold phone in left hand, do the work with the right hand. My natural actions unfortunately kill the reception.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:17 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
he could just close the poll in a week or two and then the results will be available for all. the percentages are off because of the bogus answer, but the numbers are accurate i guess.
I've removed the additional option, as requested.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:18 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I'm left handed, and I always hold a phone in my right hand, so I can use my left hand to press the buttons.