Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 02:58 AM   #61
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
I"m no lawyer but I'm sure there should not be a broker fee if coming from Amazon.ca website.

Last edited by thymaster; 09-21-2010 at 03:04 AM.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #62
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
I"m no lawyer but I'm sure there should not be a broker fee if coming from Amazon.ca website.
Except it comes from Amazon.com, not .ca

I hear some people have that fee refunded. Anybody have this happen to them?
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #63
kindlezzz
Kindle Convert
kindlezzz began at the beginning.

Device: K3 > finally arrived!
FUBAR to the MAX

Not sure if I will ever order physical product from Amazon again.

As I mentioned before > Sept 4th shipping was confirmed, coming out of Kentucky, the account was billed. I selected standard shipping only, with an originally ETA of 09/13 to Toronto, which came and went - with no updates on the tracking site for DHL Global or Canada Post. Both of which - and I have spent hours now on the telephone, told me the tracking ID or Reference # is not accurate . Included in those hrs were calls to Amazon who also had no luck with the provided #, although they were very nice and promised to call me back today yet again - the last day they could wait until processing another order - & marking the unit Lost. ( Although it seemed pretty obvious ).

So - literally 1.5 hrs on the phone today with them, trying to cancel the order, process a re-order, they tried to upgrade the shipping, everything under the sun but then told me Canada is "International Shipping" so only standard is available - was the final result - unreal .

At one point they had $27.97 going against the credit card then tried to refund that (trying to process priority shipping), so I have no idea if that is going to be a problem as well. Then they said another power adapter had to be applied on the package which was a separate $20 charge which they said refunded accordingly.

A complete fiasco from day 1. And no I could not cancel my order completely because it was already processed against the card and in queue - otherwise I'd be getting one at Target next week since the wife wants to go shopping in the U.S.

Absolutely ludicrous, the only good thing is that I was dealing with one primary person at Amazon and each time over the last two weeks that she promised to call me - she did. Now she is calling me again on October 15th which once again - is the last day that this thing could possibly arrive - just to check that I've actually received it.

Now I need to scrutinize carefully what they are doing on my Visa. There may be an initial approx $160 charge, then a refund ? Then another ? Although they may have just left it untouched - even she did not know what will happen. There may be an attempt to charge $27.97 for expedited shipping? Then a refund of same ? But maybe nothing went through since the option could not be met (1-3 days to Canada is apparently impossible?) I'm not making this up

I suppose if there is a problem on the Visa statement rather then call someone now - I would prefer to speak with the same person directly on October 15th when she calls me back, someone else will likely screw things even more.

So yeah - thats what I get, new ETA for the unit is by October 15th.

What a business.

But what are you going to do, get mad at them? I appreciate the operators attempts at resolving the issues, what else can you ask for - other then those 3hrs of my life back over the last few weeks.
kindlezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #64
ChaoZ
Connoisseur

Wow, that's horrible. The DHL/Canada Post link is flaky at best. There's little to no tracking and it's frigging slow. I hate to say this, but since Amazon prepays border fees, they really should go with UPS when shipping to Canada.

Mine arrived today, but the tracking site shows no mention of delivery or anything.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #65
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
kindlezzz, that is crazy. Mine ended up showing up 4 days after Amazon's expected delivery date.

I actually ordered a second one over the weekend (along with 2 lighted book covers) - this time I picked Express (or whatever the best shipping is), it cost about twice as much, but checking the tracking number on UPS website, I see that it is already in Calgary and will be delivered today. What a difference.

Not sure why amazon told you why only Standard shipping is available to Canada. That is clearly not accurate.

edit: actually see that it has now been delivered.

Last edited by foghat; 09-21-2010 at 12:52 PM.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #66
jonahemery
jonahemery began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Just got mine folks! I live in Fredericton NB Canada. Ordered Sept. 13, shipped 19th, arrived today (21st) by DHL. I got Priority International Shipping though. Definitely worth the extra 10 bucks
jonahemery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #67
kindlezzz
Kindle Convert

Grrrrr

I dunno why the operator couldn't upgrade my shipping - she tried putting it for expedited and the $27.97 charge went through but then she said it wasn't being accepted as an option for Canada (1-3 bus.days) So she went and changed it back then it worked (she was doing this from my account page I gather since she asked me to log in after and check that all looked correct with my address etc)

Also she gave me an A/C Adapter so I think that was a bonus ($20 - but I guess it's the thought that counts )

After 1 hour on my cell phone while at work I was pretty much ready to agree to anything as long as the damn thing was yet again on route. Like I said before - I appreciate her calling me and hopefully I have good news for her when she calls me back in a few weeks to see if the thing arrives this time.

In the interim I will enjoy reading up here on how people are getting along with theirs.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #68
ChaoZ
Connoisseur

AC Adapter? Mine came with the one which is basically a USB cord which plugs into a AC head. Unless there's a European one or something? Maybe your operator didn't know where Canada was? :P
Old 09-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #69
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur
Dwayne_Matheson is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I punched my reference number into the Canada Post site again today and my estimate delivery is tomorrow now. The item appears to be in Richmond, BC. Amazon site still has it in Carson CA US. I hope Canada Post is correct as it would be nice to get it tomorrow.

Ordered 1 Sept - Expedited International Shipping
Shipped 16 Sept
Dwayne_Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #70
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I'm astounded.

I've ordered lots of stuff over the years from amazon.com -- including a Kindle 2 and a Kindle 3 -- and there's never been a glitch in delivery to Toronto. I prefer Canada Post since I can sign at the local drug store on my schedule vs. UPS which I need to be home for (duhhhh ... I work during the day). The UPS tracking system works as expected. My Kindle 3 shipped on a Sunday and arrived Monday morning. I had a similar experience last Nov with the Kindle 2.

New orders are listed as "expected to ship in 3 to 5 days".
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #71
kindlezzz
Kindle Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoZ View Post
AC Adapter? Mine came with the one which is basically a USB cord which plugs into a AC head. Unless there's a European one or something? Maybe your operator didn't know where Canada was? :P
Yup - A/C adapter which is the head part as you mention and the USB cable to the device. I was under the impression that the only one which comes with the device is the USB cable, that the device has to be charged from a computer.

Well, then I have no idea why she put another one of those in my 'cart', but its there and already shipped. The Kindle itself has no status update as yet, big surprise...

Oh yeah - she understood I was in Canada because she claimed the only shipping out my way was standard International. Wether that means I'm getting the International Kindle model I have no idea anymore, or if even that makes a difference. I only ordered the WiFi version...
Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #72
ChaoZ
Connoisseur

Looks like you will have two AC heads then. A lot of devices charge via USB, so I'm sure it'll get some use.

On the box of mine, there's a sticker on the bottom that says the carrier is AT&T. Is that the same for all Canadians?
Old 09-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #73
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur
Dwayne_Matheson is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
It arrived. I will follow the good sense instructions I have seen here and let it charge at least 3 hours, and let the books index as well, before I play too much.

FWIW my tracking number from Amazon did work just fine as the Reference Number for Canada Post. I checked the ref.# and my order was delivered, it said. So off to the Superbox I did trot, and sure enough, there it was. No signature required, no other fees or stuff.

All I have to do now is be patient and then I can play with the new toy!
Dwayne_Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #74
kindlezzz
Kindle Convert

Bizarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
kindlezzz, that is crazy. Mine ended up showing up 4 days after Amazon's expected delivery date.

I actually ordered a second one over the weekend (along with 2 lighted book covers) - this time I picked Express (or whatever the best shipping is), it cost about twice as much, but checking the tracking number on UPS website, I see that it is already in Calgary and will be delivered today. What a difference.

Not sure why amazon told you why only Standard shipping is available to Canada. That is clearly not accurate.

edit: actually see that it has now been delivered.
Clearly not accurate indeed ! Well I had nothing to do this morning during my coffee break at work so I figure I would check my Amazon account to see where the unit is and low and behold - it is out for delivery at 4am! What the???

Not sure what to say on this one - I suppose my customer service agent went back into my account after last weeks issues on the phone and was able to expedite shipping, UPS has it now in my area... good thing the wife is home sick today and can get it.

I even got an email on Thursday to say the shipment may be delayed... so I assume they shipped it out on Friday. Well - I'm impressed Amazon.

Looking forward to getting home this evening.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #75
kindlezzz
Kindle Convert

Awesome

Well UPS lied, they delivered at the end of the day yesterday Another early arrival as I've read many times on here before.

Yup to Amazon for expediting the replacement unit and happy to say that UPS didn't ask for any more brokerage $ either as I think I read here too.

Now I can officially close my following of this thread and move on to regular ones ( as in how much this thing impresses me so far - & I'm not the reader / owner ).

Yup - happy wife = happy life.

Good luck to those still waiting...