Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Can I read my existing Connect books on a 2nd Reader?

My girlfriend borrowed my Reader on a recent trip and really liked it so I am probably going to buy her one. Are there any catches with a 2nd Reader and Connect store? I hope I am able to just hook it up to the computer and register it and be able to use it for all my existing books, download new books I purchase to either one or both, etc... Has anyone tried this?
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Shouldn't be an issue - you can authorize up to six "devices" to one account. Any mix of readers and computers. I haven't tried it personally, but it looked pretty easy to add another when I set up my first reader.

Cheers,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2007, 11:24 PM   #3
allen_hutchison
allen_hutchison began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 / Treo 680
No Problem

My wife and I each have a reader, and use them on the same account. There was no problem setting it up. The Sony store even credited us another $50 when we registered her reader.
allen_hutchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:13 AM   #4
L1Wulf
Enthusiast
L1Wulf began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Was thinking about this as well. I know you can authorize multiple readers on one account, but is it possible to have the second reader on their own account as well? ie. two readers with their own accounts and with the other reader authorized as a second reader for each account.
L1Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:49 AM   #5
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
There should be no problem with this.

Over the last week I have been using 2 readers on one account linked to my laptop (mine and my mums)

We have both been reading the same book at the same time on the different readers.

She has gone back to the UK today and so she will install connect software on her computer probably tomorrow.

So that will be 4 devices.

All will use the same account on connect.

If you don't hear anything from me it means its gone ok.

Regards, Andi
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2007, 07:42 AM   #6
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Cool, thanks guys, glad it is easy to do. Now too bad it's past 12/31 so we don't get that nice $50 credit anymore!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:12 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1Wulf
Was thinking about this as well. I know you can authorize multiple readers on one account, but is it possible to have the second reader on their own account as well? ie. two readers with their own accounts and with the other reader authorized as a second reader for each account.
I don't believe so. A Reader can only be registered to one account at a time, as far as I know.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:13 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's correct, Harry -- one of the things we ran into at the Bloggers Day was that we couldn't load books onto a couple of the Readers because they were already registered on a different account than the one we were using.

So, multiple Readers on one account is OK, but one Reader on multiple accounts isn't.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist

What if you flip-flop between the accounts based on the books you want to read?
Old 01-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sure, you can do that, but it means physically connecting the Reader to a PC on the one account, and de-registering it, and then registering the Reader on the other account .... I don't know if a PC can be on more than one account or not, I'd think it was common sense that it could, but....

In any case, it seems like a lot of trouble to me, and I can't see why I'd care enough to go through it. Just speaking for myself, of course.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:19 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Just checked, the one account per machine set up applies to PCs too (see attachment). So you'd actually need a second PC to swap your Reader between accounts. Way more trouble than I want to go through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2Users.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	2614  
Old 01-09-2007, 12:09 AM   #12
L1Wulf
Enthusiast
L1Wulf began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Hrm. Thanks for the feedback on that guys. So much for hoping for book suggestions based on account usage (a la Netflix, Amazon, etc.). At least with Netflix, you can partition off some of your account for other members in your house (that way all my suggestions aren't "tainted" by the girlfriend's movie preferences...uh, and I guess vice versa, )
L1Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

My wife has her own account (naturally) at Amazon, but for various reasons, I end up ordering most of her stuff through my account, combining it with stuff I'm ordering. Most of what she orders through hers tends to be gifts for me. I'm sure Amazon thinks she's the SciFi & video game junkie, and that I'm the only SciFi and Brontë nut on the planet.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I'm sure Amazon thinks she's the SciFi & video game junkie, and that I'm the only SciFi and Brontë nut on the planet.
So what does liking both Robert Heinlein and Jane Austen make me?

Answers on a postcard to...

HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

But do you order books on criticism and theory related to Jane Austin?