Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-16-2009, 04:23 AM   #46
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Yes, congratulations to Sony for their excellent support!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:17 AM   #47
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you want to send it here with pre-paid postage back to you, I can send it in for you no problem. That is if Sony will allow multiple 500s to be sent in from the same address.
Anyone know if Sony are allowing multiple devices to be sent from an address in the USA?

As a long time owner of a much beloved PRS500 in the UK I can't send it in direct myself.

I'd like the epub upgrade though
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 06:51 AM   #48
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Does anybody know when this offer ends? I'd like to wait until the release of the PRS-900 before taking a decision.

Why? It apparently doesn't cost anything to have it done.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:18 AM   #49
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Why? It apparently doesn't cost anything to have it done.
I think the deal is probably upgrade OR trade-in credit, but probably not both. So those of us that are thinking about the credit would not want to do the firmware upgrade offer.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:41 AM   #50
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
I think the deal is probably upgrade OR trade-in credit, but probably not both. So those of us that are thinking about the credit would not want to do the firmware upgrade offer.
That would make sense then.
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #51
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Does anybody know when this offer ends? I'd like to wait until the release of the PRS-900 before taking a decision.
To bad only the 300 and 600 are allowed on the trade-in credit. Still, drops the price on a 600 down to around $225 as opposed to $300.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #52
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
I made a little phone call half an hour ago: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62348
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #53
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas View Post
Anyone know if Sony are allowing multiple devices to be sent from an address in the USA?

As a long time owner of a much beloved PRS500 in the UK I can't send it in direct myself.

I'd like the epub upgrade though
I went through the process and got all the forms (except the ups labels - that was broken when I went through the process) for both my reader and my wife's. So, yes it looks like multiple readers from one address is fine. Which really only makes sense, because there have to be quite a few households that have more than one reader.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #54
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Now the question is, "What two-week period can I be without my Reader?"

It is unheard of for a mainline company to support hardware this old -- both in terms of time since release and in generations (at least two generations ago.) Plus they are paying for the shipping. (I have never seen this before. It is hard enough to get most companies to pay for the shipping for returning items that failed in the first thirty-days.)

I suspect that there will be a difference in the used market prices for 500s with and without the upgrade. Some of us thought the custom hacks were nice but went back to the standard firmware

There is another side to the equation that we have not mentioned yet. Sony gets a chance to examine the usage on a wide assortment of Readers from people who used the Reader. They can check the wear of buttons, how have the springs held up, what plating wore off, &c. This will be the largest collection of heavily used Readers available and they can study them for the price of a firmware upgrade/trade-in.

Since Sony was the only source of DRM BBeB books they can allow you to download their ePub replacements from the Sony store so support there is not needed. While I do not know for sure, I suspect that support for the BBeB non-DRM format (LRF) will be in the firmware as it is supported by the current 300/600 line and is said to be a native format for the display. Then again, I can always use Calibre to convert LRF to the new ePub format.

I like the 500, I'm upgrading the firmware.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My mother-in-law has a 500 and we are upgrading it. I just did the online form and printed all the paperwork. The next step is to pack it up and take it to the UPS store to send it out. The box for my 505 is a good fit for the 500. Just get a box, some bubble wrap and away we go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #56
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My mother-in-law has a 500 and we are upgrading it. I just did the online form and printed all the paperwork. The next step is to pack it up and take it to the UPS store to send it out. The box for my 505 is a good fit for the 500. Just get a box, some bubble wrap and away we go.
Cool! Keep us posted on the progress and the process!
Old 11-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Cool! Keep us posted on the progress and the process!
Will do. I hope it goes smoothly.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
It is either/or - this is clear if you read the text of the offer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #59
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Sort of an ambivalent reason: most companies would simply expect/force you to buy new hardware, not offer to 'fix' your old hardware for free.

Most hardware is backward-compatible. Offering to make old hardware forward-compatible is practically unheard of. At least, I never heard of anyone doing this before.
Not really, they've done it once already with the PRS-505. I believe Cybook did it recently by releasing a Firmware release to support ePUB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Actually, it might be quite the opposite. Because they could continue to sell the ebooks from there store in BBeB format and ePub format to continue supporting the 500.

But, once they do this upgrade the 500 will no longer be limited to buying from the Sony store, but opens up a world of eBooks stores and libraries too.

So, by doing this they could be loosing sales.

Is the upgrade free?

Also, not sure why they dropped the discount. When the 505 came out they gave you $100 off on trade in. I guess because they 500's are all a year older now than the last offer.

BOb
Not really, the money is in selling books not devices. First of most SONY customers are going to chose the SONY store over any vendor because of brand loyalty. Second look at SONY prices vs. other ePUB vendors and you'll see SONY has better prices on average. Yes SONY might loose a few sales to other stores but they now they will keep most of the sales in their pocket.

There is another business need that is harder to put a price tag and that is customer loyalty. By upgrading 500 models not only do they continue to make sales off of their customer;s purchases but they also make their customer's happy and that is worth much money that will translate to future sales.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Well once the 500 is upgraded, I do think it will be able to be sold for more then Sony is offering via the trade-in. So it's worth it to update it and sell it instead of just a trade-in.