Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
purchasing kobo books through the reader?

Hi, this might be a stupid question, but I'm having trouble finding the answer here.

I've just been sideloading books, not purchasing them from my Kobo Touch. I decided to look for a book today, but when the list comes up, it has "buy now" buttons for each selection, but no prices. I started to press the button, thinking it would then prompt me for cc details or something and that it would let me know the price. it didn't. it started the download, which i cancelled, not knowing what it was going to charge me.

how do i find out prices of the books before downloading them? and how does it start a download without confirming purchasing agreement? i'm sort of confused here.

thanks for any help.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
It was probably downloading the preview version of the book rather than the real thing. Unless you go to http://www.kobobooks.com/, sign in, and add your credit card details, you won't be able to buy through the device. Or at least you couldn't last year (last time I bought anything :P).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
This is definitely not working on the Kobo Touch in Canada; pricing info is not displayed. See the other thread on this topic here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190735
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I find I have to click "Buy" to get a price, and then I can decide whether to confirm the order or not. Seems very broken. Just purchase on my Mac.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ok, this seems to be a continuing problem, and i'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion on a workaround.

i went to download a free copy of Moby Dick. The store on my reader says no copies are free.

I was able to log on to my account through a browser in a computer and found multiple free copies. I have no idea why it's saying all the copies through my touch cost money.

But I "purchased" a free copy, added it to my library. Except, the computer I'm on doesn't have the kobo software, and it's not my computer ... so now I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to get the book that's been added to my library in kobo-cyber-land to my reader, which has a wifi connection ...

this is getting frustrating that i know books should be available through the store and i can get them through the computer but they don't appear on the kobo store on the touch!
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #6
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
If you've purchased any book through the Kobo website, it should appear on any Kobo reader you own (that is registered with that account) when you do a sync. Should be automatic.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
dakini
not "it"

yeah, the problem I have is that I was trying to add it when I'm not going to be near that computer for the next few weeks. so when I found it on the website version of the store, it was through a public library computer. It's weird that it could clearly find it on the website, but that it's not available through the reader.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you had actually purchased the book while on the website. If you do that, it doesn't matter where you are when you sync the reader over wifi. It will get the book.

In other words, once you make the purchase, it doesn't matter if you ever use that particular computer again. You could make the purchase on a computer in France, then sync your reader over wifi in New York and you would get the book.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
I find I have to click "Buy" to get a price, and then I can decide whether to confirm the order or not. Seems very broken. Just purchase on my Mac.
Let's see... Firmware 2.15. No price in the search results, no price on the information page for books you select to see more info... I have the horrible feeling it's a cynical attempt to catch people who have Quick Buy on. :/
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
dakini
not "it"

thanks. i think i just figured out how to sync over wifi and the book's downloading.

for some reason, i'd not been able to figure out how to do that before, had only synced with my home computer.

since Kobo sent me a email saying "take a second look at this book" and it listed it as free, i sent them back an email asking why the prices are several dollars higher through my reader than they are through the computer and web browser. I'd sent them that same question last month. Maybe they'll investigate this time? They never replied last time.

Last edited by dakini; 10-18-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Dakini: Remember that many books are in the public domain. This results in both free versions of the book being made available, as well as other versions that people have created.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote