Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #22036
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I just finished listening to The Secret History of the Mongol Queens. It was excellent. I'm really enjoying listening to non-fiction, a genre that I typically avoid. But over the past couple of years, I've picked up several audio books on history, archeology, geology, and biography and enjoyed them very much. I don't think I'll ever enjoy a self-help book or books on finance. But for a confirmed hater of non-fiction, I'm coming around slowly.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #22037
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: my latest purchase, Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie.
Which was a fascinating SF story. Most enjoyable. Highly recommended.

Next up: LightSpeed Magazine for April 2015.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #22038
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A very minor point, but please note:

"Note on the Text", right at the very start of the book.
Also note... The Hobbit is 1 book, but 3 Movies.

This stuff is just so confusing.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:39 PM   #22039
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Just started The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North (you may know her as Catherine Webb or Kate Griffin). Quite enjoyable so far.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #22040
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Also note... The Hobbit is 1 book, but 3 Movies.

This stuff is just so confusing.
The movies are a trisection.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2015, 07:45 PM   #22041
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Also some Silmarrilion for good measure
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:20 AM   #22042
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Power of the Sword" by Wilbur Smith, the 5th book (or, to be more strictly correct, the 2nd book in the 2nd trilogy) in the "Courtney" saga. The 5th book ended with Centaine Courtney discovering an area of rich diamond deposits in South Africa shortly after the end of the First World War, and this next book moves forward into the 1930s, with the growing threat of Nazi Germany. As always, an excellent African adventure with strong characters and interesting characters. Recommended.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:30 AM   #22043
Wryter
Author
Wryter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire
I just finished Ray Gorham's "77 Days in September" and thought it was terrific. It's an EMP destroys civilization novel that leaves Kyle Tait stranded in Texas while his family is in Montana. Kyle isn't a former SEAL or Rambo. He's just a good-natured, decent guy who wants to get home and his long journey home is the basic plot of the novel. The people he meets, situations he overcomes makes for good reading. Ray Gorham is a good writer who builds strong characters. His books are well-edited, which is a pleasant surprise in this genre. I immediately ordered the second book in the Kyle Tait series, "Daunting Days of Winter."
Wryter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #22044
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In pursuit of my "Complete the Series" challenge for 2015, I purchased a copy of Kris Longknife: Redoubtable by Mike Shepherd, the 8th book in his military SF series. Managed to read about 1/2 of it yesterday as I was in the air. I'm really glad I selected this series as one to complete in 2015. It's been delightful to return to space with Kris Longknife and Vicky Peterwald.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #22045
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
In pursuit of my "Complete the Series" challenge for 2015, I purchased a copy of Kris Longknife: Redoubtable by Mike Shepherd, the 8th book in his military SF series. Managed to read about 1/2 of it yesterday as I was in the air. I'm really glad I selected this series as one to complete in 2015. It's been delightful to return to space with Kris Longknife and Vicky Peterwald.
Hmmm. I started reading that series way back when I was still buying pBooks. Somehow lost track of it. Wasn't that I abandoned it, just that I forgot about it. Might be time to re-think that.

Oh, and currently reading:
1.) Cannery Row (Book Club selection)
2.) Coroner's Pidgin -- #11 in the Campion series from Margery Allingham.

And just finished Castaway Planet, #4 in the Boundary series from Ryk E. Spoor and Eric Flint. I have really enjoyed this series, especially the actual real science in it.

Last edited by CRussel; 04-03-2015 at 02:53 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #22046
Hampshire Nanny
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Hmmm. I started reading that series way back when I was still buying pBooks. Somehow lost track of it. Wasn't that I abandoned it, just that I forgot about it. Might be time to re-think that.
That's exactly what happened to me, I simply was busy reading other stuff. I placed the one book (Intrepid, #6) on my Kindle wishlist and I received gifts of that book and the next (Undaunted #7) in mid-2014. That's one reason why I selected the series as one that I wanted to complete in 2015. Having read those two books and 1/2 of the next, I'm definitely enjoying catching up. And, Shepherd has launched a companion series starring Vicky Peterwald. With four more Kris Longknife volumes and now two in the Vicky Peterwald series, there's a lot to enjoy.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:54 PM   #22047
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I think I stopped reading at #7, or at least, I know I bought #7 (in Audible), but can't remember it at all. And it started to feel like the plots weren't changing, it was just a formula. But it wasn't a _bad_ formula. And it's been long enough...

OTOH, I have an awful lot of books in my TBR, and I did just get carried away and buy a Bruno that I hadn't read yet. And the Polychrome Kickstarter project shipped so I have that, and next week we get a new Foreigner book.

I think I'd better wait. But I've put an empty book into my Calibre TBR so I don't forget again.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:56 AM   #22048
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just finished "Ranks of Bronze" by David Drake, bought a very long time ago from Baen. A defeated Roman legion in the 1st century BCE is sold as mercenaries to a trading house in a galactic federation whose laws prohibit the use of advanced technology on primitive planets, and fight a series of battles against various opponents, all the while planning how they might be able to get back home again. Excellent military SF. Recommended.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-04-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:34 AM   #22049
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just finished "Ranks of Bronze" by David Weber, bought a very long time ago from Baen. A defeated Roman legion in the 1st century BCE is sold as mercenaries to a trading house in a galactic federation whose laws prohibit the use of advanced technology on primitive planets, and fight a series of battles against various opponents, all the while planning how they might be able to get back home again. Excellent military SF. Recommended.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/se...lternative.htm

If you liked that one there is another book set in the same universe. The Excalibur Alternative is by David Weber.
Weber expanded a short story, "Sir George and the Dragon," which appeared in the David Drake anthology Foreign Legions.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:37 AM   #22050
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/se...lternative.htm

If you liked that one there is another book set in the same universe. The Excalibur Alternative is by David Weber.
Weber expanded a short story, "Sir George and the Dragon," which appeared in the David Drake anthology Foreign Legions.
Apache
Thanks, Apache. Yes, I have both the books you mention, although I hadn't realised that "The Excalibur Alternative" was set in the same universe. Thanks for the recommendation!