Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #21961
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Monitors by Darrell Bain. Another ancient one from Fictionwise. Bought back in August 2005.
Which turns out to start with ridiculous premises and some sex scenes. I just can't be bothered. Abandoned.

Next up: The Land of Ingary Trilogy by Diana Wynne Jones.

And I've just finished the first one, Howl's Moving Castle. Delightful.

I'll take a short break by reading the latest Analog SF (May 2015) which has just appeared in my Amazon account.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:13 AM   #21962
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Finished _Privateer: The Flight Engineer, Volume II by S. M. Stirling_

I have to say, it wasn't as good as book one. Not much conflict. Everything just seemed to be easy with one small hiccup. I gave it 3 of 5 stars on LibraryThing.

Started on _The Graveyard Book_ by Gaiman.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2015, 08:26 PM   #21963
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I'd gotten 70% through Never Let Me Go when I realized that Dreaming Spies (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes #13) by Laurie R. King had been released and so I got the ebook and began reading it.
Dreaming Spies was, like pretty much all of the Mary Russell mysteries, great! Now on to The Voodoo Murders (Ed Noon #9) by Michael Avallone!

Last edited by alansplace; 03-16-2015 at 08:29 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:05 PM   #21964
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Next up: Monitors by Darrell Bain. Another ancient one from Fictionwise. Bought back in August 2005.
I'm also trying to read up some of the older books I bought many years ago. Earlier this month I read my oldest purchased eBook -- The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #21965
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: The Land of Ingary Trilogy by Diana Wynne Jones.

And I've just finished the first one, Howl's Moving Castle. Delightful.

I'll take a short break by reading the latest Analog SF (May 2015) which has just appeared in my Amazon account.
Still reading the Analog, but also finished the second in the omnibus, Castle in the Air. Also Delightful.
Advert
Old 03-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #21966
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I did end up buying LoTR, but right now I am reading Bones Burnt Black by Stephen Euin Cobb.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #21967
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Dreaming Spies was, like pretty much all of the Mary Russell mysteries, great! Now on to The Voodoo Murders (Ed Noon #9) by Michael Avallone!
The Voodoo Murders was sure a quick read! It turned out to be my favorite Ed Noon mystery so far! Now on to Did She Fall? by Thorne Smith.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:05 PM   #21968
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Still reading the Analog, but also finished the second in the omnibus, Castle in the Air. Also Delightful.
Finished the Analog - usual very good stories. Finished the Omnibus, which was excellent. Most enjoyable.

Next up: Asimov's SF, double issue for April/May 2015.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:26 AM   #21969
Lusitanic
Leader
Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lusitanic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, One Plus 5
Thinking, Fast and Slow: Daniel Kahneman
Lusitanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:09 AM   #21970
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Finished up Ian Tregillis's The Mechanical (first in a new trilogy) and loved, loved, loved it. Just like I loved his Milkweed Triptych. His blend of action/alt-history/fantasy with a subtle dose of archetypal subtextual introspection (for which reader-participation is completely optional) just seems to appeal to me.

The Mechanical IS the first book of planned (but as of now unpublished) trilogy. So it doesn't wrap everything up with a pretty bow at the end of this first installment. But even though I definitely was left "wanting more," it DID do an admiral job of picking a fairly natural jumping off point. You'd have heard my howl of rage across the internet if it hadn't!

I'm now starting Kate Griffin’s (Catherine Webb/Claire North) The Glass God. Second in her Magicals Anonymous (a Matthew Swift-spinoff) series.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #21971
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr and what a lovely read. Easy to see why it has been on the NY Time Best Seller List for close to a year.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #21972
John Reed
John Reed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Reed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Reed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Reed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Reed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Reed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Reed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Reed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Reed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Reed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Reed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Right now I'm reading George R. R. Martin's Series "A song of Fire and Ice". I'm currently reading the first book of the series "A Game of Thrones". I was so impressed and stunned by the TV series, "Game of Thrones" and after watching its four seasons, I realized that I have to read the books. The first book really is above my expectations and I will recommend this series to every fiction lover.
John Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:51 PM   #21973
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Reed View Post
Right now I'm reading George R. R. Martin's Series "A song of Fire and Ice". I'm currently reading the first book of the series "A Game of Thrones". I was so impressed and stunned by the TV series, "Game of Thrones" and after watching its four seasons, I realized that I have to read the books. The first book really is above my expectations and I will recommend this series to every fiction lover.
Great post John Reed. Maybe you'll develop a penchant for reading!
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:10 PM   #21974
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The Voodoo Murders was sure a quick read! It turned out to be my favorite Ed Noon mystery so far! Now on to Did She Fall? by Thorne Smith.
I put aside Did She Fall? after reading 24% of it and nothing had yet happened!? This author's writing kind of reminds me of George R.R. Martin's style of writing. I burnt out on Game of Thrones after 50 pages. Oh well!

I've now begun reading Interesting Times (Interesting Times #1) by Matthew Storm, which was an Amazon Freebie earlier this year.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #21975
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished Bones Burnt Black... Very enjoyable and engaging hard sci-fi, but I think the ending could have been done differently. Now working on LoTR.

Okay, it may sound silly/stupid, but I had to convert this time from .azw to epub so I could read it in Coolreader, because it reads better to me with the parchment paper background I use in Coolreader as opposed to the Sepia background available in Kindle for Android.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote