Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #21976
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Asimov's SF, double issue for April/May 2015.
Also took a look at my Bloom County cartoons from the recent Humble Bundle. Not quite what I was expecting (whoops). Abandoned.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #21977
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Also took a look at my Bloom County cartoons from the recent Humble Bundle. Not quite what I was expecting (whoops). Abandoned.

Is it my imagination, or have you started abandoning unpromising books quicker than you once did?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #21978
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Currently reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. Had trouble with the present tense writing in these books at first, but it's no problem now. Guess I got used to it!! Will most likely continue with Mockingjay next. Since the 2nd part of the movie won't be out for a very long time and I want to know what happens! Watched the movies first and now reading the books. I know people usually do that the other way around. Guess I'm weird.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:44 PM   #21979
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Having grown up in the US and lived through the events depicted in the Bloom County Books, I find the satire hilarious.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #21980
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland #1)
by Catherynne M. Valente - 3/5

It's a book that shares more in common with Discworld books than Alice In Wonderland. It's something that I regret. The book also feels like the middle of a series. I didn't understand what happened to the Marquess. She seemed alive but nothing is sure in Fairyland. I simply did not care about the characters, alright? Like with most books that seem to cheat, it was again a case of a weak effort that kind of redeems itself with a strong finish. My disappointment with books, and my inability to find pleasure in reading is not the only factor in me not being impressed with The Girl Who[...]. The adventures are bland and nonsensical. The author makes her heroine, September, suffer, but there's a complete lack of tension. I rated this 3 stars because of the twists at the end, and the really beautiful language. That's the best I can muster. I recommend this book to children who have not read Lewis Carroll and the Narnia books and The Hobbit. I'm curious about the sequel to The Girl Who. But I need to read something not experimental for the moment. I need comfort food for thought.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:44 PM   #21981
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
FNext up: Asimov's SF, double issue for April/May 2015.
Only an average read for me this time.

Next was An Audience For Einstein by Mark Wakely. Bought back in June 2004, i find I had read this before, and so just skimmed through it. An exploration of a possible life extension technology, although focused more on the personal implications than the technology. An OK story.

Next up: The Darwath Trilogy by Barbara Hambley. I've recently read the first one in this ombibus, so moving straight onto two and three.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #21982
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Only an average read for me this time.

Next up: The Darwath Trilogy by Barbara Hambley. I've recently read the first one in this ombibus, so moving straight onto two and three.
Now there's an author I know I used to read, and somehow lost track of. I'll be interested in your take, which clearly is positive enough to have you reading straight on to #2 .

ETA: Hmmm. I see it's a KU book. This must be an omen.

Last edited by CRussel; 03-21-2015 at 02:18 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:12 PM   #21983
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Now there's an author I know I used to read, and somehow lost track of. I'll be interested in your take, which clearly is positive enough to have you reading straight on to #2 .
I read The Time of the Dark last December after getting it in a humble bundle, but got the trilogy on an Amazon special offer because I wanted to re-read the next two having re-read the first one. I gave the first 4/5. It stood up to a re-read (many years after my first read of it) rather well.

And yes, Barbara Hambly was a name I recognised from some time ago, but her works didn't seem to be readily available as ebooks until recently (& still seemed to be a bit pricey last time I looked). I do now have another trilogy of hers and a single novel in my TBR pile, which I might get to sometime this year if I continue to enjoy the Darwath books.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:15 PM   #21984
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
I read The Time of the Dark last December after getting it in a humble bundle, but got the trilogy on an Amazon special offer because I wanted to re-read the next two having re-read the first one. I gave the first 4/5. It stood up to a re-read (many years after my first read of it) rather well.

And yes, Barbara Hambly was a name I recognised from some time ago, but her works didn't seem to be readily available as ebooks until recently (& still seemed to be a bit pricey last time I looked). I do now have another trilogy of hers and a single novel in my TBR pile, which I might get to sometime this year if I continue to enjoy the Darwath books.
Their list price is a bit high, but at least two trilogies appear to be available as Kindle Unlimited books, so that changes the pricing substantially. Every time I think it might be time to dump KU, I find another author I'd like to read on it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:45 AM   #21985
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I put aside Did She Fall? after reading 24% of it and nothing had yet happened!? This author's writing kind of reminds me of George R.R. Martin's style of writing. I burnt out on Game of Thrones after 50 pages. Oh well!

I've now begun reading Interesting Times (Interesting Times #1) by Matthew Storm, which was an Amazon Freebie earlier this year.
WOW!! After finishing my reading of Interesting Times I believe I may easily become a fan of Matthew Storm's books! Now finally, I'm going back to finish reading Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski #4) by Sara Paretsky.

Last edited by alansplace; 03-22-2015 at 01:54 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #21986
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
I saw a movie trailer for "Child 44", and I found out that it is based on a book by that name. I have yet to see the movie, but I have read the book, by Tom Rob Smith. It turns out this is book #1 of a trilogy and I just finished the third one yesterday. Book 2 is "The Secret Speech". Book 3, "Agent 6", was only available from my e-library as an audio book. This is only the second time I've borrowed an audio book, and it was a better experience than I expected. It turned out to be an advantage, actually, because I found myself able to take in the book while doing household chores.

While waiting to borrow "The Secret Speech", I read "The Farm", by the same author.

I've enjoyed Smith's work so far. I'll be watching for more.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #21987
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Currently reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. Had trouble with the present tense writing in these books at first, but it's no problem now. Guess I got used to it!! Will most likely continue with Mockingjay next. Since the 2nd part of the movie won't be out for a very long time and I want to know what happens! Watched the movies first and now reading the books. I know people usually do that the other way around. Guess I'm weird.
I just finished the third book this past Sunday and I have to say that the more I was reading the books, the more I was liking the story. I hope you'll like it

Right after Mockingjay, I started He + She. This is my first book from Michelle Warren and so far I like the way she writes the characters.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #21988
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Yes, that was an enjoyable read. Re-read, actually, as I'm sure I have read them before.

I'm not sure what to read next. Perhaps an Agatha Christie.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #21989
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
WOW!! After finishing my reading of Interesting Times I believe I may easily become a fan of Matthew Storm's books! Now finally, I'm going back to finish reading Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski #4) by Sara Paretsky.
I enjoyed reading (finally finishing) Bitter Medicine a whole bunch! I like this series a lot! In fact I sometimes fantasize that Vicki Warshawski and Harry Dresden meet up in Chicago and end up working on and solving a case together!

Next, since I'm an avid fan of Veronica Mars (TV show, movie and mystery novels) I'm gonna' try Neptune Noir: Unauthorized Investigations into Veronica Mars by Rob Thomas.

Last edited by alansplace; 03-24-2015 at 12:36 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:28 PM   #21990
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Yes, that was an enjoyable read. Re-read, actually, as I'm sure I have read them before.

I'm not sure what to read next. Perhaps an Agatha Christie.
Yes, next up: Destination Unknown, her 55th book which seems to be a cold-war spy drama.