Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-22-2009, 07:07 AM   #1
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
For current books?

Thank you all for you help and suggestions as I make the (what has become) monumental decision of a lifetime (or at least several months until I find I MUST upgrade)!

I'm pretty sure I want either the Sony PRS 505 or 700 or Kindle 2 (or 1). Now, I know you all have your personal preferences so think of me and my impatient, anal-retentive, OCDish self. I love classics such as Steinbeck, Buck, etc. as already mentioned, but I've noticed an awful lot of newish-best sellerish type books on my "to read" list. If I want to purchase pretty current books would I be better off Kindling or Sony-ing?
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you want one stop shopping, the a Kindle your best option. The Kindle store is the largest single source of US-rights ebooks, and it is also the cheapest source of those ebooks.

Another advantage of the Kindle store over the Sony store is that AZW (MOBI) format DRM is circumventable but Sony's LRX format DRM is not. This means that if later on you decide to buy a different brand of Reader AZW ebooks can be transferred (if you strip the DRM) but LRX ebooks can't. However, it is possible to own a Sony but only buy Adobe PDF or ePub ebooks which, like AZW, are circumventable.

The disadvantage of the Kindle is that there is only one source for DRMed content (the Kindle Store). With the Sony's you can buy Adobe PDF and ePub from many stores. This includes UK-rights ebooks that are not available for the Kindle. If you are willing to strip DRM this disadvantage disappears since the Kindle reads DRM-free MOBI and all formats can be shifted to MOBI once they are DRM-free.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
The deal breaker for me between the Sony and Kindle (in addition to the price) was that I can get ebooks from my library for FREE and read them on my 505. This is not possible with the Kindle.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
The deal breaker for me between the Sony and Kindle (in addition to the price) was that I can get ebooks from my library for FREE and read them on my 505. This is not possible with the Kindle.
It's easier to get library books with the Sony (and more plentiful) but it is not impossible to do so with the Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If you want one stop shopping, the a Kindle your best option. The Kindle store is the largest single source of US-rights ebooks, and it is also the cheapest source of those ebooks...
Thank you for your insight. I have to admit, you lost me in the middle, as I'm not familiar yet with the terminology. I guess you are saying that the Kindle takes the Amazon Kindle ebook only (although I guess with fiddling about you can also get others?), but they are cheaper and more plentiful?
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
F1Wild
Addict

Thanks Kelly101 and daffy4u! If it weren't only library books we're talking about which would you prefer...such as buying the most current books (NYT bestsellers,etc.)?

Last edited by F1Wild; 05-22-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Wrong. Not knowing how is not the same as not being possible. You don't need to strip drm, and the books close at the end of the checkout period.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Wild View Post
Thanks Kelly101 and daffy4u! If it weren't only lirary books we're talking about which would you prefer...such as buying the most current books (NYT bestsellers,etc.)?
Well, as you can see by the info below my avatar I'm a Kindle fan. I own both Kindle 1 and 2. I'm not a library person so that was not part of my decision making. Amazon, even with its faults, tends to have the largest selection of current best sellers at the best prices (usually $9.99). Along with the Kindle for iPhone app that I use on my iPod (which will sync your Kindle books with your Kindle or you can use it without owning a Kindle), I'm pretty much covered.

You can check the major ebook retailers, so see who carries more of the books you like and compare prices.

The KindleStore
Sony eBook Store
Fictionwise
BooksOnBoard
Old 05-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Well, as you can see by the info below my avatar I'm a Kindle fan. I own both Kindle 1 and 2. I'm not a library person so that was not part of my decision making. Amazon, even with its faults, tends to have the largest selection of current best sellers at the best prices (usually $9.99). Along with the Kindle for iPhone app that I use on my iPod (which will sync your Kindle books with your Kindle or you can use it without owning a Kindle), I'm pretty much covered.

You can check the major ebook retailers, so see who carries more of the books you like and compare prices.

The KindleStore
Sony eBook Store
Fictionwise
BooksOnBoard
Thanks...hmmm, any sync with the Blackberry?
Old 05-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Thanks...hmmm, any sync with the Blackberry?
No but there is hope. An app was created for the Blackberry that allows one to shop on Amazon. The same thing happened with the iPhone before the Kindle for iPhone app was released. We hope the same path will be followed but can't predict it will or when if it does happen
Old 05-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
No but there is hope. An app was created for the Blackberry that allows one to shop on Amazon. The same thing happened with the iPhone before the Kindle for iPhone app was released. We hope the same path will be followed but can't predict it will or when if it does happen
Darn, I was so going for the 505...now which Kindle would you recommend?
Old 05-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Wrong. Not knowing how is not the same as not being possible. You don't need to strip drm, and the books close at the end of the checkout period.
sorry for any trouble I may have caused but I'm confused. So you're saying that you CAN take a Kindle to the library and download ebooks without any stripping of DRM? , I just want to make sure I understand, because I'd heard differently from other people on this site.

Thanks
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Darn, I was so going for the 505...now which Kindle would you recommend?
I like them both but it depends on your needs.

The Kindle 1 has expandable memory via an SD Card slot, a user replaceable battery. You can find it at a good price on eBay and whatever is left of the 1 year warranty will still be honored by Amazon. Some say the font on K1 is darker and easier to read than K2.

Kindle 2 does not have expandable memory (though it has more internal memory than K1) or a user replaceable battery. It has 16 levels of gray scale whereas the K1 has 8. There are hacks available that allow the K2 to change fonts and to read PDF files, these hacks don't exist for K1. Some say K2 has better ergonomics due to its thinner profile. As Kindle DX becomes available you'll be able to find better pricing for K2 on eBay. You can still buy a K2 from Amazon and return it for a refund within 30 days if you don't like it.

It's a toss up and I'm glad I have both.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
sorry for any trouble I may have caused but I'm confused. So you're saying that you CAN take a Kindle to the library and download ebooks without any stripping of DRM? , I just want to make sure I understand, because I'd heard differently from other people on this site.

Thanks
That is correct but Amazon does like us to discuss it openly. MobileRead was forced to remove the information on how to do it from the site.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I guess you are saying that the Kindle takes the Amazon Kindle ebook only (although I guess with fiddling about you can also get others?), but they are cheaper and more plentiful?
Yes. As daffy4u suggested, look on Amazon to see if it has the ebooks you want (under Kindle Store). Compare to the Sony Store, or to Adobe PDF/ePub at Books on Board, for the Sony Readers. All three will often have the same ebook, but if only one has a title it will almost always be the Kindle Store. There are still many paper books that are not available as ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote