Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
kriket
kriket began at the beginning.

Device: sony 650
cheap ereader with no wifi, non-cloud based, decent battery life?

First of all let me start by saying that been reading this site and its probably the best out there for ereader related info and advise. Keep up the good work.

Now, I am looking for a very basic ereader with the following requirements:
1. Don't need wifi or 3g since I don't really ming downloading epubs, chm's, pdfs off the web and then transferring them to the ereader via usb.
2. Need a few days charge at least. Don't mind charging oce a week. Looked at "binatonetelecom - read me daily" as it supported nearly every format and was very cheap at £29.99. However, the battery life was a big let down at only 6 hours. (It didnt have wifi but dont mind that). Need bigger battery life - upto 3-4 days would suffice.
3. I read a lot of ebooks. I mean 3 books a week usually. So need something which is NOT cloud based. I dont mind paying for ebooks that I really enjoyed and will read again and again as I appreciate that the authors need to be supported but most of the time I find that previews are misleading and I have to go to [deleted] to get ebooks to actually see if they are worth their weight in gold. So linux based and android based readers are what I am after.
4. Price is definitely a factor and anything from £40-£70 is what I am after. I am from UK and here we can get refurbished kindle basic at £70 and sony PRS-650 refurb around that price as well.
5. E-ink! Also had a look at nook color but its LCD not e-ink and I think I will straing my eye with nook color.
6. Large screen size since I am a programmer and will be reading technical books.

Any advise much appreciated.

Last edited by kriket; 07-02-2012 at 11:51 AM.
kriket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
We do not condone eBook piracy at MR, and naming of sites making illegal content available is not permitted. Please bear this in mind for the future.

Thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally I'd go for the Kindle. Amazon have the best bookstore around, and you can download a free sample of any book. It'll run for weeks on a battery charge, and Amazon's customer service is unparalleled.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
kriket

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Personally I'd go for the Kindle. Amazon have the best bookstore around, and you can download a free sample of any book. It'll run for weeks on a battery charge, and Amazon's customer service is unparalleled.
Will it still be able to handle the technical books as easily as just simple text ones?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If you mean PDFs then no, no device with a 6" screen will sensibly display A4/Letter PDFs. Just can't be done. I'd stick to reading those on your PC if I were you. The ideal device for them is a 10" tablet such as the iPad, but given your budgetary constraints, that's clearly out of the question.

For reading fiction, though, the Kindle is great.
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
kriket

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you mean PDFs then no, no device with a 6" screen will sensibly display A4/Letter PDFs. Just can't be done. I'd stick to reading those on your PC if I were you. The ideal device for them is a 10" tablet such as the iPad, but given your budgetary constraints, that's clearly out of the question.

For reading fiction, though, the Kindle is great.
Yeah i read sony prs950 can handle pdf's better than others but pdfs are still a big issue. Can nook color handle such technical pdf's ? (Its around £90 in uk for a few months used one and i dont mind getting one off of ebay).

Its not e-ink either but I have seen videos of nook color with pdfs open and it successfully can imitate e-ink to some extent.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Don't know anything about the Nook, I'm afraid, but I'm sure that people in the Nook forum will be able to advise you.

I have a 7" Android Tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab 2) and although it can indeed display such PDFs, you have to constantly pan the image around the screen to read them. You honestly do need a device which can display the whole page at a size at which it can sensibly be read.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
kriket

Alright Harry. Thanks for answering all my questions. Guess its back to the drawing board with my research.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
KindleChickie
Connoisseur
KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DX, iPad 2, Kindle 3, Nook simple touch
I would suggest for a cheap 6" ereader to go with a refurb nook simple touch. But no 6" reader is very good with PDFs. My Kindle DXG handles mine reasonably well, but I have nothing to compare it to. Others on the board have owned different 9.7" eink readers and will give better opinions. But 9.7" readers are expensive.
KindleChickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
For PDFs, I can read them on the Nook Simple Touch without panning left and right, just scrolling down the page.

I have them in landscape mode, zoomed in to get the full width of the line. This is 800 pixels across 4.5 inches, it's not great but it's better than nothing.

This is rooted of course, and using a PDF viewer called APV Viewer. I made a screenshot... This is zoomed right to the edge of the text. The zoom bar at the bottom will disappear automatically in about 2 seconds. Swiping the screen scrolls down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shot.png
Views:	738
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	88649  
Mujokan is offline   Reply With Quote