Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 03:25 AM   #1
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
Kobo Touch not ejecting cleanly with Calibre OR Kobo Desktop - Windows 7

I have previously posted suggesting that my KT does not eject properly when using CALIBRE, but I have now noticed that the same thing is happening with the Kobo Desktop software.

If I eject from Calibre or the Kobo Desktop from within the software, I get an error in the Device Manager for Windows, which implies that the a "mass storage device" had not disconnected correctly.

If I use the standard "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on the task bar, the disconnect happens correctly.

The next question is - is this a problem with just my laptop or its driver, or is this a problem for other Windows 7 users as well???????????

Cheers
John - In delightful Takikawa, Hokkaido, Japan
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:45 AM   #2
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
No issue here in Calibre or Kobo Desktop (Win 7 x64).

One thing that comes to mind is maybe an antivirus or such that is scanning the mounted drive causing issues with disconnect? Though odd it works via the systems provision as these apps should just be making API calls to the same function. *shrugs*.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 03:46 AM   #3
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
John, I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium - definitely not happening with me in either calibre or the desktop.

I have noticed that calibre takes much longer to eject the KT than you would expect. Is it possible that you pulled it out before it had finished and it has somehow got corrupted?
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:06 AM   #4
JBlyth
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
John, I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium - definitely not happening with me in either calibre or the desktop.

I have noticed that calibre takes much longer to eject the KT than you would expect. Is it possible that you pulled it out before it had finished and it has somehow got corrupted?
Thanks KikwiPippa,

Hmmmmm - I'm home premium as well, and I have waited for ages before "pulling the plug".

The USB Connect icon disappears straight away, but there is no disconnect sound until I eventually remove the USB cable.

I might try deleting the driver and trying again.....

Cheers
John

Last edited by JBlyth; 07-31-2011 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Bad typing - again...
Old 07-31-2011, 04:25 AM   #5
JBlyth
Connoisseur

Well!

I have tried
  • deleting the "Mass Storage Device" Driver
  • rebooting the laptop
  • starting Kobo Desktop
  • allowing the Kobo and Mass Storage Device drivers to load
and......
I still don't get a proper USB disconnect (icon disappears but no sound of disconnect and error in Device Manager), so I guess I will just have to do it manually external to the software to be safe......

Cheers
John
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 06:46 AM   #6
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tried stopping your antivirus (a/v) if you are running one?

I know it sounds odd, but I have seen it happen with some external usb hdd's when the a/v playing up would do background scans preventing a dismount/eject of the drive. Some a/v can even have exceptions setup to not scan certain removable devices if you so require to prevent such issues or other performance impacts. Norton a/v etc.. was particularly bad at this sort of thing in the past.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I have this same problem running Linux and others have reported problems who were not using calibre. I have a ticket in with Kobo now. Hopefully something will come out of it.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:18 AM   #8
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
No luck still John?

I only get the disconnect sound if I use the windows eject device option - no sound for calibre, not sure about the desktop as I haven't used it for a while.

But as yet I haven't experienced the errors you have been getting from incomplete ejects using calibre. I have logged a couple of calls on other things to do with calibre on the KT (fixed margins and not transferring to device cleanly). I have not had a positive response from Kovid - he has said that the KT is "buggy" and that they won't be actioning the requests. Perhaps this is one of those bugs he means.

Hope you can get it sorted
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #9
JBlyth
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
No luck still John?

I only get the disconnect sound if I use the windows eject device option - no sound for calibre, not sure about the desktop as I haven't used it for a while.

Hope you can get it sorted
I have decided to play it safe and just use the Windows method. It is just as easy and at least I know it is error free (for the moment ;-)

Thanks
John
Old 08-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
I have W7 x64 Ultimate. Here is what happens after I use safe remove with any usb device which has some memory on it.

I get no sound effect until I pull the device out. Which seems normal behaviour if I am correctly interpreting the message in the device manager.
----------
Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)
----------
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
I have W7 x64 Ultimate. Here is what happens after I use safe remove with any usb device which has some memory on it.

I get no sound effect until I pull the device out. Which seems normal behaviour if I am correctly interpreting the message in the device manager.
----------
Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)
----------
Exactly! Atilla, I agree 100%! It's the same with any USB device (for instance my Garmin GPS). The Beeps seem to indicate that the electrical connection has been removed as opposed to the logical (ie mass storage device) removed from Windows.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
molman
Evangelist

..and what if you have no speakers on your PC