Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #15046
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I do not like the movies since they only contains the events. The important thing with Jane Austen books are the descriptions and observations.
+1
This is oh so true! It took me a few reads to appreciate her, though.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #15047
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Just finished "The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared" which is one of the funniest books I have read in 2012. Today I start the 50 book pledge (Savvy Reader) 2013 and I have seven books on my list to start and DONT KNOW which one to start the year! Twelve Tribes (Ayana Mathis) a good one? Or a good crime/mystery "14" by Peter Clines that someone here on this forum has read. So many books so little time!
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #15048
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Happy New Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I completed my read of A Deeper Sleep by Dana Stabenow! It was, as is usual for her books, a very enjoyable read, a visit with old friends. Now for one of the books that was not on my TBR (or on my Amazon wish list) till I got it for Christmas from my youngest son, Matt. It looks to be an interesting read. We'll see soon anyway. It's called Night Watch, first in a trilogy by Sergei Lukyanenko.
Well, I completed reading Night Watch, a Russian Urban Fantasy, and also watched the movie adaptation of it. The book is divided into three novellas and the movie was based on just the first of the three. Down the road a ways I'm sure I'll read the next book in the Night Watch trilogy of novels (the trilogy has now expanded to a total of 4 books).

For my first book of 2013, I'm going to read Hugh Howey's newest addition to the Wool saga (Silo Series (Wool) [7]), Second Shift: Order that, like Night Watch, I received as a Christmas present.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:05 AM   #15049
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Well, I just read Heinlein's short story "All you Zombies" and thoroughly enjoyed it. Checked into the film adaptation that Sony has in the works. It's called "Predestination" and from what I can see, it turns Heinlein's story of a serpent eating it's own tail into the story of how Ethan Hawke's character doggedly pursues the one criminal who has eluded him throughout his career.

The story was great. I may skip the movie.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #15050
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I probably should state I am rereading "In the Ocean of the Night" by Gregory Benford. I can't decide if I will go straight on to the next in the series or find something different.
Finished late yesterday and I think I enjoyed it as much as the last time I read it.

Decided on something different next and chose "Proven Guilty" by Jim Butcher. I think that's the one I'm up to in the series.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #15051
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Well, I completed reading Night Watch, a Russian Urban Fantasy, and also watched the movie adaptation of it. The book is divided into three novellas and the movie was based on just the first of the three. Down the road a ways I'm sure I'll read the next book in the Night Watch trilogy of novels (the trilogy has now expanded to a total of 4 books).

For my first book of 2013, I'm going to read Hugh Howey's newest addition to the Wool saga (Silo Series (Wool) [7]), Second Shift: Order that, like Night Watch, I received as a Christmas present.

For my first book of 2013, I'm going with the next book in the Phryne Fisher series. If you haven't tried these, I highly recommend them. They're all on Amazon, and generally at decent prices.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 AM   #15052
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Well, I just read Heinlein's short story "All you Zombies" and thoroughly enjoyed it. Checked into the film adaptation that Sony has in the works. It's called "Predestination" and from what I can see, it turns Heinlein's story of a serpent eating it's own tail into the story of how Ethan Hawke's character doggedly pursues the one criminal who has eluded him throughout his career.

The story was great. I may skip the movie.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:00 AM   #15053
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Temple: Incarnations by Steve Saville.
Dystopian Horror/Fantasy, not quite coherent (four stories written separately, with the ending being unknown when the first was written) and not really my kind of thing.

Next up: Firefly by Brian Stableford. I bought this with a load of other by Brian Stableford in a Fictionwise sale back in 2011.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:11 AM   #15054
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Well, I just read Heinlein's short story "All you Zombies" and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Is it available as an eBook?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:26 AM   #15055
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It was shown as one of the "other people bought" link to me on Amazon today. But, they won't sell it to me. Very few of the Heinlein ebooks are available to me in Australia. Maybe I need to move.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #15056
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It was shown as one of the "other people bought" link to me on Amazon today. But, they won't sell it to me. Very few of the Heinlein ebooks are available to me in Australia. Maybe I need to move.
Maybe you should emove instead.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #15057
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Will be interested to hear your review.
I will blog about it when done and post it here. Strangely compelling so far and Im a fussy reader!
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 AM   #15058
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
My first read of 2013 is The Pines by Blake Crouch, which I took out on loan via Amazon Prime. A great start to the reading year, it's a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma (you get the idea...), and is most intriguing. It's one of those "is everyone in on it except me?" stories.

Quote:
Secret service agent Ethan Burke arrives in Wayward Pines, Idaho, with a clear mission: locate and recover two federal agents who went missing in the bucolic town one month earlier. But within minutes of his arrival, Ethan is involved in a violent accident. He comes to in a hospital, with no ID, no cell phone, and no briefcase. The medical staff seems friendly enough, but something feels…off. As the days pass, Ethan’s investigation into the disappearance of his colleagues turns up more questions than answers. Why can’t he get any phone calls through to his wife and son in the outside world? Why doesn’t anyone believe he is who he says he is? And what is the purpose of the electrified fences surrounding the town? Are they meant to keep the residents in? Or something else out? Each step closer to the truth takes Ethan further from the world he thought he knew, from the man he thought he was, until he must face a horrifying fact—he may never get out of Wayward Pines alive.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #15059
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

amazon: http://www.amazon.com/All-You-Zombie.../dp/B008MOKW22

Last edited by HarryT; 01-02-2013 at 06:35 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #15060
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
As far as I can see, All You Zombies is still in copyright:

Links deleted.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote