Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-13-2008, 07:56 AM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
From what I have been reading, it seem that it is only the Gen3's who screen seems to mysteriously break. I have not read of any other 6" Vizplex based reader breaking in such a way. Is it possible for the screens to suddenly just break under nomal usage? I would not have thought so. But then again, I don't know what goes on underneath what we see.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:00 AM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But they don't "just break" for 99.9% of users, do they? We'd know about it here for sure if they did. We aren't being flooded with complaints about broken screens, that's for sure. We don't have enough data to reach any meaningful conclusion about whether Gen3 screens are any more liable to breakage than Sony or Kindle screens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:13 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing that would really help is to know is if these mysterious breaks are from the same batch of Gen3s. If there is a defect, I would expect the defect to maybe be in the same batch.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:34 PM   #64
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Well that's just ridiculous. You can see from this forum that there certainly isn't a "generic" problem with broken screens - we aren't exactly flooded with people saying that their screen has broken.

I'm very sorry to hear that you've had such problems.
I think that's my point and part of my frustration - I don't think that I've ever seen any Kindle or Sony owners mention this problem at all, and while there haven't been hundreds of Cybook owners who have, there've been several people who have. It just doesn't give me any confidence, even if I just had rotten luck.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:56 AM   #65
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
My screen also suddenly went dead. I was reading one evening. The Cybook was in its case. I switched it off and placed it on the table. The next evening I opened the case and switched it on. I had a few normal screens during the boot process an suddenly only the the lower left part was working. It was exactly 1/4 of the screen. This must be a flaw in the design or a bad batch of screens. It is almost impossible to break anything in exactly 4 equal parts by accident.

Mine was from the very first batch
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:07 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That sounds like a display controller fault, Ortep. When that goes you generally will "blank out" exactly a half, or a quarter of the screen. Should be a warranty fix.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:12 AM   #67
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

You just made my day

Bookeen asked me to send a picture of the screen to them. I just did
Old 07-14-2008, 03:18 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Would you like to post the picture here too?
Old 07-14-2008, 03:51 AM   #69
Ortep
Fanatic

Here it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bookeen.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	14328  
Old 07-14-2008, 04:04 AM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, that's the controller for sure. Definitely NOT a physically broken screen!
Old 07-14-2008, 07:53 AM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixte View Post
I think that's my point and part of my frustration - I don't think that I've ever seen any Kindle or Sony owners mention this problem at all, and while there haven't been hundreds of Cybook owners who have, there've been several people who have. It just doesn't give me any confidence, even if I just had rotten luck.
I think you'll find, if you do a search, that broken screens are just as common on the Sony and the Kindle. See this recent thread, for example, for an account of an equally "mysterious" screen breakage on the Sony Reader.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:30 AM   #72
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Yep, I did some research later - I'm thinking I might just go with the Kindle. From what I can tell, Amazon has so far just replaced units that have screens that broke 'on their own'. I love the form factor of the Cybook but between currency rates, shipping and fragility, it's getting too pricey.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:07 AM   #73
Ortep
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, that's the controller for sure. Definitely NOT a physically broken screen!

Hmmm...I just got an email back from Bookeen. They told me it was a broken screen and they need to replace it. There was no mentioning of costs however
Old 07-16-2008, 03:14 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Well, it is a component of the screen, but the controller, not the "physical" glass screen. I'm pretty sure that it will be a warranty repair. Please let us know the outcome!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:16 AM   #75
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
Hmmm...I just got an email back from Bookeen. They told me it was a broken screen and they need to replace it. There was no mentioning of costs however

Ortep,

They won't tell you the cost until they get it in-shop. Standard Operating Procedure at Bookeen, AFAICT.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, cybook, screen