Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #46
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Power PC users had good three years run after Apple transitioned to the Intel architecture (and yes, it sucks if you bought new G4/G5 system in 2005). Granted, it could be even longer run, but with Snow Leopard being Intel-only, it probably wont happen.

Apple is not perfect, but where they can, they try to (or being forced to) help customers. They are also very slow releasing new versions of JDK. So if a lot of Power PC users complain/threaten about Java support, Apple might do something.

To answer your question, I would keep PowerPC and get Intel Mac.

Last edited by Slava; 10-07-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #47
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Well, you may all be interested to note my DR1000S, with cover, arrived this morning and is presently charging up.

It is a big beast and so should make pdf reading a breeze.

Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #48
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Well, you may all be interested to note my DR1000S, with cover, arrived this morning and is presently charging up.

It is a big beast and so should make pdf reading a breeze.

Howard
Oh good.

Do post some pictures and your impressions when you have time.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #49
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Okay,
here are 2 quick photos of both the Cybook & DR1000S in their cases & on.

(I hope)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA071171.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	16873   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA071172.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	16874  
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:05 PM   #50
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Okay,
here are 2 quick photos of both the Cybook & DR1000S in their cases & on.

(I hope)
Wow, that's huge next to that little cybook.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #51
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
So pthwaite, congrats, you seem to be the first enduser getting one

If you have the time, we like even more pictures (also bigger ones), impressions, thoughts etc. Feel free to write a lot

Thanks
Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #52
bazzz
Enthusiast
bazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad Pro
Yip, it seems to be shipping: http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=2910.

Looking forward to it
bazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #53
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD
My order at eReader Outfitters just went from Customer Order Received (ordered 9/22) to Backorder. I'm not happy about the delay since my CC was charged on the 22cnd.

Has anyone who ordered from eReader Outfitters had their order shipped yet?

Last edited by dhill; 10-07-2008 at 04:09 PM.
dhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #54
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD
Just got an email saying that ereader outfitters has shipped my DR1000s. She be here in two days. Web site still says my order is backorder. Good news! I'm happy now.
dhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #55
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
eReadern Outfitters: same email. I have held off on joining the impatient crowd until now.

But seriously: what real business charges their customers UPFRONT for the FULL AMOUNT. And then does not deliver... I don't know if that is required by any iRex partner because iRex will charge THEM the full amount upfront as well, but from a consumer point of view it is really bad.

Also, that leaves 2 possibilities:
- There is an unexpectedly huge pool of people who are willing to throw $800 at an almost experimental single-purpose device (I didn't think so, but hey, exceptionally *I* am one of these people myself for the first time (and last one))
- Their production capability is so low that they are not even able to fulfill FIRST-DAY orders (like mine), never mind everybody else who didn't jump on it immediately. Now that would be just pathetic.

I'm not holding my breath. And I'm holding my money only until the next CC bill is due. I always pay it in full, but not for an undelivered product. At that time I will contest the charges, request a chargeback (and pay the remainder of my bill).
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:25 PM   #56
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
But seriously: what real business charges their customers UPFRONT for the FULL AMOUNT. And then does not deliver...
Apparently companies outside the US are not required to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
And I'm holding my money only until the next CC bill is due. I always pay it in full, but not for an undelivered product. At that time I will contest the charges, request a chargeback (and pay the remainder of my bill).
Your risking a double billing cycle interest charge if you do this. Pay the full amount. You can still get a chargeback even if you've paid the full bill.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #57
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Power PC users had good three years run after Apple transitioned to the Intel architecture (and yes, it sucks if you bought new G4/G5 system in 2005). Granted, it could be even longer run, but with Snow Leopard being Intel-only, it probably wont happen.

Apple is not perfect, but where they can, they try to (or being forced to) help customers. They are also very slow releasing new versions of JDK. So if a lot of Power PC users complain/threaten about Java support, Apple might do something.

To answer your question, I would keep PowerPC and get Intel Mac.
Apple also takes personal information as granted (asks it in the installation process) - think about it, hell would break loose if Microsoft would try that.

And about that: What would happen if Microsoft would announce the new Visual Studio only works on Intel Quad Core (even if it wouldn´t be necessary on the hardware level) ...

I will keep the machine and will install Debian Linux on it. Java will work fine on that machine and Apple has leeched enough money from my poor student pockets.

My next investment will be an Irex Reader ... despite the worst customer service they have the best hardware so far (you can´t say that for the apple hardware).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #58
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
My next investment will be an Irex Reader ... despite the worst customer service they have the best hardware so far (you can´t say that for the apple hardware).
Same here, eReaderOutfitters shipped mine DR1000S today.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:52 AM   #59
marioamato
marioamato began at the beginning.

Device: iliad irex
News update from irex shop customer base.

order date 23/09/2008
order status "Preparing for dispatch"

it's true... my news is nothing news !

Your customer service make me proud to live in the wonderful world of irex shop
marioamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #60
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
My DR1000S arrives today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Same here, eReaderOutfitters shipped mine DR1000S today.
My DR1000S will arrive from eReader Outfitters this morning! They seem to have really good customer service, Jeff has been especially helpful.
CJP
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote