Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #16
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I use both the Aura HD and the PW For manga, the Aura HD is better with the larger and higher-res screen. That, and the SD card support. The PW is better as far as the store and the 3G go. The Mini is decently responsive, and very portable.

The software on the Kindle is better overall, but I like the customization options of the Kobo. Especially changing tap zones - with Kindle manga purchased from the Kindle Store, the tap zones are different from the ones for regular reading... whereas on the Kobo, they're consistent. Plus, they've had some decent sales on Kobo.com, whereas the Kindle store has had higher prices on some of the books I've wanted, or else not had the books at all due to country restrictions. That's something to consider when buying a Kindle books.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #17
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Whereas the readers themselves are pretty comparable among the Kindle (Amazon) and Kobo, the firmware for the Kindle is more stable and less buggy. Where Amazon truly shines is in the customer service department. Dealing with Kobo is worse than going to the dentist and having multiple root canals, whereas it is a joy to deal with Amazon CS. As others have said, if you need to return a book, you just click a button instead of going through h**l dealing with Kobo. That right there puts the Kindle ahead in my book. I do love the Kobo Mini, though. It is a very compact and light reader. I wish Amazon would make something like that form factor.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #18
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
Stop! Come back!

I'm an ex-Kindle user (mostly) that now uses Kobo. I have a Glo and a Mini. I have owned a Kindle 3 (3G) and Kindle Paperwhite as well. I sold the Paperwhite and still have the 3. I love the 3 and still use it occasionally. The Paperwhite was nice, but the frontlight was extremely distracting in its unevenness, and the fact that they halved the storage was what drove me away. I live in a very rural area and very rarely have access to wifi, so sideloading is how I read my books. Half of my library would have filled the device up in no time.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortman View Post
I live in a very rural area and very rarely have access to wifi, so sideloading is how I read my books. Half of my library would have filled the device up in no time.
Unless you have large PDF files or manga on the PW, the storage is easily adequate for over a thousand books. That represents something like 12 years' of reading for me, which I find entirely adequate.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #20
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unless you have large PDF files or manga on the PW, the storage is easily adequate for over a thousand books. That represents something like 12 years' of reading for me, which I find entirely adequate.
Right. I have about 2500 books. I don't plan to read every one in its entirety while I have them on the ereader. I do look up quotes and browse through them fairly often. Can't do that if they aren't on the device.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #21
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
More interesting thoughts, so many thanks for all your contributions everyone.
@cortman I wish I felt differently as I'm sure there is a few years in my KT yet! My e-reading needs are different to yours, I browse, buy and read so the website is important to me. I usually find my books on Amazon and then shop on kobo.com. I get offered every language other than English! I shan't buy another book on kobo. I won't go on.
I haven't got time for side loading etc and I never use my reader with a computer unless I have to.
@jerseyman I can't wait for the excellent customer service and a non buggy reader. I don't mind the size of the PW but I was a little worried about the extra weight over the KT. very occasionally I'll read on my iPhone, it does as a mini!
Thanks folks.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #22
cortman
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orn8one View Post
More interesting thoughts, so many thanks for all your contributions everyone.
@cortman I wish I felt differently as I'm sure there is a few years in my KT yet! My e-reading needs are different to yours, I browse, buy and read so the website is important to me. I usually find my books on Amazon and then shop on kobo.com. I get offered every language other than English! I shan't buy another book on kobo. I won't go on.
I haven't got time for side loading etc and I never use my reader with a computer unless I have to.
@jerseyman I can't wait for the excellent customer service and a non buggy reader. I don't mind the size of the PW but I was a little worried about the extra weight over the KT. very occasionally I'll read on my iPhone, it does as a mini!
Thanks folks.
Yeah, if the book-buying/store experience is important to you, then I will be the first to admit that Kobo's is exceedingly lame. Plus their prices tend to be quite a bit higher (unless you use a coupon code).
Good luck and enjoy your Kindle!
Old 10-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #23
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
PW Thoughts

I'm not an intensive user and haven't great experience with other readers but for what its worth here goes...

Wife had a Sony PRS600 a couple of years ago, dreadful device software was rubbish and the screen and reading experience well...

Then I looked at a basic Kindle in our local supermarket and was sold, purchased one each. Then July time upgraded to a PW (WiFi only), perhaps not the best time to upgrade now the PW2 is almost here but very pleased. There is some banding when the light is turned up but I tend to run my back light at 5 or 6 all the time. The banding only becomes noticeable in a dark room and it dosent bother me at all.

The Amazon ecosystem is good and getting books onto the device is easy.

I'd recommend these devices although I now suggest it would be sensible to hold out for a PW2 out in the UK on 09 Oct but it appears already shipping in the US and the couple of reviews posted so far are positive.
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #24
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
@happysnapper. Haha, I had a Sony 650 too, it was an interesting experience! I just want my reading to be simple, relaxing and enjoyable. I know there are masses of clever things you can do with e-readers but I do that all day at work and I'm not looking for another hobby!
I am looking forward to not dreading buying a book! Can't wait.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote