Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
wzambotti
wzambotti began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Exclamation What will happen to Borders users books when forced to a new store??

I've been reading in this forum that a change from borders to kobo desktop results in a loss of books from the ereader. Why?

So with borders liquidating what will Borders users be facing?

Is there any Kobo technicians who can say if a transition path exists in this situation that safe guards the books users have already purchased?
wzambotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
just make sure you download your books with ADE, then you'll have the hard copies.
when you switch over to the kobo desktop app you'll still have your books purchased from borders but you'll have to load them through calibre or some other method but you'll still have your books.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
MechR
Connoisseur
MechR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
DRM strikes again.

Anyway, Borders isn't dead just yet; Chapter 11 bankruptcy is for reorganization, not liquidation.
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wzambotti View Post
I've been reading in this forum that a change from borders to kobo desktop results in a loss of books from the ereader. Why?

So with borders liquidating what will Borders users be facing?

Is there any Kobo technicians who can say if a transition path exists in this situation that safe guards the books users have already purchased?
Q1. There is only one database on your device. This database is what gets sync'd between the device and the web site and your pc version.

Kobo and Kobo compatible store sell books that are installed in your database and the store is the master. This is why you only get one store.

However, all of the stores also sell books in non-database format, basically ePUB and your device can also read those just as well only a few features like annotation capability will be limited.

Q2 Borders is not liquidating so far as I know. They shut down about 200 stores but the web site and ebooks were not affected. The company is hoping to continue operation on a smaller scale.

Q3 - Best not to depend on others to safeguard your stuff. You should always download the ePub version of the books you buy as well as the version that appears in your database. You can use Adobe Digital Editions for that.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
wzambotti

Red face Is there another thread that explains all this?

Is there another thread that explains the differences between downloading from:
  1. A book store via the PC
  2. ADE
  3. The downloaded ePub version

I just assumed if you downloaded from a book store you got the ePub version and the ePub version would be physically installed on the eReader.

If this is not correct where do I find the ePub versions of all the book store books I have purchased?
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 01:15 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Look in the "Purchased" section of your library on the Kobo site for ePUB versions of books that have them. You will see a button "Adobe DRM ePUB". I have not bought from other Kobo affiliated stores so I don't know if the same is true there.

Both the Kobo kepub books and the Adobe DRM books are ePUB. The difference is the flavour of the DRM. Kepub books are ePUBs with Kobo's proprietary DRM. The Adobe ones use their own proprietary DRM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
JVM
JVM began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Look in the "Purchased" section of your library on the Kobo site for ePUB versions of books that have them. You will see a button "Adobe DRM ePUB". I have not bought from other Kobo affiliated stores so I don't know if the same is true there.

Both the Kobo kepub books and the Adobe DRM books are ePUB. The difference is the flavour of the DRM. Kepub books are ePUBs with Kobo's proprietary DRM. The Adobe ones use their own proprietary DRM.
I went into the purchased section and I do see that button. I haven't clicked it yet as I wanted to understand the following:

- does this version over-ride the kepub version on my e-reader (after I sync)?
- if it does, is it not preferable to have the kepub version as I thought I read there are more features available when reading via Kobo e-reader?
- if I download the Adobe DRM ePUB version, does the book get stored on my PC (can I select where to put these back-ups)?

If someone can give some advice here I would greatly appreciate it as I would like to download a back-up version just in case (though I have a chapters-version so I'm not facing potential issues with Borders).

Thanks.
JVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I don't have Kobo, so I'm not sure of the details how it works, but I have bought books on Kobo for other readers.
You do not have to sync this with the device. You can download it through Adobe and keep it in a folder on your computer where it can stay until you need it. Like a backup.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Hi Everyone,
We have addressed this on our Blog when Borders first announced their Chapter 11.

http://blog.kobobooks.com/2011/02/16/kobo-update/

Quote:
What does this mean for customers of Borders’ eBook service…?

Will I lose access to ebooks I have purchased at Borders.com?
Your ebook library is perfectly safe. The Borders ebook experience is powered by Kobo, an entirely separate company from Borders. Kobo is financially secure and will continue to maintain your ebook library no matter what happens.

Can I continue to buy ebooks from Borders.com?
Yes. Kobo will continue to provide ebook services to Borders customers through Borders.com and Borders apps and desktop software. You shouldn’t notice any difference in terms of service or selection.

Will I still be able to get technical support for the Kobo eReader or other device I purchased from Borders?
Yes. Borders will continue to offer phone and email customer service for devices purchased at their stores and Borders.com.

Will I still be able to get support for Borders apps?
Yes. Borders customer service will continue without interruption.
If you have additional questions about this, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll try to answer them here as best I can. We are also looking into solutions for customers who want to move from Kobo to Borders. Stay tuned for an update.

To answer JVM's questions:

Quote:
- does this version over-ride the kepub version on my e-reader (after I sync)?
This is independent. If you transfer it to your Kobo Reader, you will get two copies.

Quote:
- if it does, is it not preferable to have the kepub version as I thought I read there are more features available when reading via Kobo e-reader?
The Adobe version will not have some of the Kobo features, the most noticeable being syncing of bookmarks with other Kobo devices.

Quote:
- if I download the Adobe DRM ePUB version, does the book get stored on my PC (can I select where to put these back-ups)?
It's on your PC. Adobe puts the file in your Documents folder (sorry, I'm not on a PC so I can't specify exactly where)
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
To answer JVM's questions:

It's on your PC. Adobe puts the file in your Documents folder (sorry, I'm not on a PC so I can't specify exactly where)

Specifically, it should be found : My Documents\My Digital Editions
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
JVM
JVM began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
Specifically, it should be found : My Documents\My Digital Editions
Thanks.

For others referencing this thread...I first downloaded ADE. I clicked open on the file after pressing the Adobe DRM Epub button (Kobo site), this opened ADE and the book was added to the folder mentioned above all in one step.
JVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
if I download the Adobe DRM ePUB version, does the book get stored on my PC (can I select where to put these back-ups)?
When you download an epub file from Kobo it's actually a small file with a .ascm extension. You save this file in a directory of your choice.

Double clicking this .acsm file opens Adobe Digital Editions application (you'll require this application already loaded on your computer) and creates the DRM protected filename.epub file which is located automatically in:

C:\Users\username\My Documents\My Digital Editions\filename.epub

This book file can be dropped into the e-reader with ADE, Calibre, or Explorer.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Dale is correct. I have been saying this many times and I see i have not gotten trough as yet. Borders is not one company its actually three: Border's Book Group - which owns the other two comapnies, Border's Book Stores, which filed for chapter 11, and Borders.com, which runs the web site. Just becuase Borders' Books Stores filed for chapter 11 means nothing for Border's Book Group and Borders.com.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #14
wzambotti

Where is the purchased area in the library?

Quote:
Can't seem to locate any purchased section? Any clues!
Old 04-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try http://www.kobobooks.com/library/purchased.html
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
borders, transition