Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #181
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
If anyone wants a free epub book to try out, they just posted one on tor.com. Check the freebies forum for how to get the books. I'm going to try it out soon and I'll let you all know if it's awesome.
Or you could check out the hundreds thousands available over at Feedbooks.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #182
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Well, good news only if they also updated the metadata/browsing system. I wouldn't carry 13,000 books with me using the current system.

Is this update going to be part of the firmware upgrade? Or only for Sony PRS-505 sold in the UK?
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #183
thorswitch
Clueless (but nice!) Newb
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Ok, figured out how to get the ADE DRM books into the Sony library program so I can put them in categories - I just have to select the reader first, pick the book, drag it over to the "Library" icon at the top of the sidebar and put it there, then go to the Library view, find the book, and drag it to the collection I want to put it in. Not too much work, really and that'll help keep things more organized.

Tried opening a couple of non-secure .pdfs and one just locked up and the other has the same problem as the secure Adobe books - though, in this case, it makes a bit more sense, I guess, because the author is including footnotes, so when you reach what would be the end of a page, all the footnotes are there, then blank space until the top of the next page - even if the break is in the middle of a sentence.

I'm wondering if I somehow did something wrong when I installed it, since everyone else is reporting such good results... I installed the ADE program last night, made sure to update the Sony Library before installing the upgrade and then installed the upgrade, following the instructions on the screen and also what I'd printed off from the Sony page itself, and everything went exactly as it said it should.... weird.
thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #184
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecook View Post
perhaps a warning for PRS-500 users.

I've just upgrade the library software, everything went fine, until it asked me to activate the reader. I was already on my last free activation, I kept formatting my HD without de-activating - and now I can't read any of my old purchases!

I am uninstalling and loading up the older version to see if can get access to de-activate.

I'll let you know how that goes...wish me luck
You can send an e-mail to sony customer support and they can de-activate all the computers you don't want. It was simple when I did it and took just one business day. Might be faster if you wanted to call.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #185
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
What's the use of erasing books directly from the Reader if you cannot add books to the Reader from the SD?
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #186
mikecook
Enthusiast
mikecook began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini, Nexus 7, Sony Reader, Kindle, and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
You can send an e-mail to sony customer support and they can de-activate all the computers you don't want. It was simple when I did it and took just one business day. Might be faster if you wanted to call.
Thanks MerLock, I'll do that.

I tried re-installing the older versions of the library but to no avail. Still, perhaps a warning to any PRS-500 users, de-activate your computer before upgrading the software.

Cheers!
mikecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #187
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
You CAN delete files directly from PRS 500.
try looking for HackBuilder on this site.
One of the hacks is deleting files and copying files from memory to card and vice versa.
Yah, I know, but it has some caveats to using it, particularly with Collections, which I insist on using. Sony actually putting it into their firmware is a big step forward is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambertape View Post
To me it is sad to note that the upcoming PRS-505 upgrade is for the 505 and not the PRS-500 . It seems to me that SONY should consider the pioneers of the PRS-500 and bring them into the PRS-505 world or give us an incentive to trade in the PRS500 for a PRS-505 and then they will not have to develop a upgrade to the owners of the PRS-500. If SONY does nothing for owners of PRS-500 then it might be an idea to sell my unit, and buy another manufacturer product. It is very important for a manufacturer like SONY to get good publicity and not bad publicity. Why should I show this product to my friends ?
The obstacle appears to be a hardware one: i.e. reportedly the 500 hardware physically can't support these new functions. As for a trade in scheme, yeah, it would be nice (speaking as a 500 owner myself), but I don't see how a vendor is under any obligation to upgrade hardware that was sold in good faith. What? should I drag out my old 286 PC and expect IBM to offer me an upgrade on that too? That strikes me as a bit ... presumptuous.

Sure, it would be wonderful if Sony were to do it, but make no mistake: it would be an act of extreme generosity -- Sony has no business need to eat a bunch of money (when they're already in the red on their "flagship" product lines just now) to upgrade folks who bought their generation last product. Especially as it would set a precedent such that we'd all expect them to do the same for the PRS510 or whatever the next one is, and the next one, and the next one ....

I can't think of too many things that would more greatly encourage them to exit the e-book hardware business than this sort of expectation from their customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecook View Post
I've just upgrade the library software, everything went fine, until it asked me to activate the reader. I was already on my last free activation, I kept formatting my HD without de-activating - and now I can't read any of my old purchases!

I am uninstalling and loading up the older version to see if can get access to de-activate.

I'll let you know how that goes...wish me luck
If it doesn't work for you, just give them a call and ask them to de-authorize everything except your Reader -- they're usually pretty good about doing it, and it only takes a few minutes ... once you get through the obstacle course they call a phone system.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:56 PM   #188
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
What's the use of erasing books directly from the Reader if you cannot add books to the Reader from the SD?
It's marginal, Peto, about the only real use is that you don't have to delete them later on the PC. However, some folks like to delete books as they finish them, think of it as a neatness quirk if you like.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #189
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
I don't use an SD, I don't see the need, because there's plenty of space on the Reader itself (for me). I hook up my Reader to the PC maybe once every two months to put on a few new books. I have a rolling stock of about 40 books on the Reader.

When I've read a book, I'll now be able to delete it from the Reader without having to hook up to the PC, which will help to thin my menus out a little. It's a nice little convenience to me which I will be glad to have.
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #190
reeder
reeder began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Let me get this straight: In order for the firmware upgrade to work on the PRS-505, you need to install it using the computer your Sony account was activated on, unless the ebooks you purchased through them will no longer work??? Is that right?
If that's right, what if that computer broke and you can't use it anymore? Thanks in advance guys.
reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #191
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherchance View Post
I don't use an SD, I don't see the need, because there's plenty of space on the Reader itself (for me). I hook up my Reader to the PC maybe once every two months to put on a few new books. I have a rolling stock of about 40 books on the Reader.

When I've read a book, I'll now be able to delete it from the Reader without having to hook up to the PC, which will help to thin my menus out a little. It's a nice little convenience to me which I will be glad to have.
This is exactly how I use mine and am looking forward to the delete option when I upgrade the second I get home tonight
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #192
fi79
fi79 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Ok - I'm probably missing something really obvious - since I'm totally new to this and have had my reader for precisely 4 days BUT:

I bought a Digital Editions ebook the other day - not realising the difference between this PDF and the ones the reader could previously take.

Anyway, I realised I couldn't use it and was a bit scunnered so was chuffed about the new firmware supporting DE.

I've updated my 505 and it all seemed to go fine - but it won't let me import the DE ebook I downloaded the other night. Is this because I bought it before the update or am I just being really dense?

Sorry - I'm such a basic computer user!!
fi79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:22 PM   #193
holden1
holden1 doesn't litterholden1 doesn't litter

Device: sony-505
I haveupdated to the new firmware. I downloaded a couple of pdf. files from Tor.com, loaded them up and gave them a try. To my dissapointment the files are a mess. As soon as I enlarge the text the words, paragraphs and chapters are broken up. What gives?
holden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #194
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Cool A lot of excitement but no firmware

Any sign of the firmware? We already had a 50 page thread from the earlier announcement.

Stingo
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #195
dborja
Enthusiast
dborja began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeder View Post
Let me get this straight: In order for the firmware upgrade to work on the PRS-505, you need to install it using the computer your Sony account was activated on, unless the ebooks you purchased through them will no longer work??? Is that right?
If that's right, what if that computer broke and you can't use it anymore? Thanks in advance guys.
No. I just installed from my work computer and it worked. I had activated my Sony account on my iMac (WinXP under VMFusion) at home. The updater is a standalone program...
dborja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe, digital editions, epub, firmware, pdf, prs500, reflow, update