Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #46
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
faithbw might not appeal to you, but i find the ability to email myself a book over wifi to the K3 a very, very neat feature.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #47
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
faithbw might not appeal to you, but i find the ability to email myself a book over wifi to the K3 a very, very neat feature.
Why do folks make such a big deal about simply hooking up the USB to transfer e-books?

I agree that this might have some value if you have books on a device that doesn't support a standard USB storage device interface, like some smart phones, where you just can't work it any other way, but other than that, for most of us who were born with opposable thumbs, it's really not that big of deal to plug in a simple USB cable.

We also have a Kindle in the family, but I find that it's actually FASTER to transfer books to the Kindle directly, rather than going through all the trouble to bring up the email program, mailing the book, and then wait for delivery (and that's even considering that the Kindle's USB seems to be sloooow compared to the Sony).

Last edited by delphin; 02-27-2011 at 04:53 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #48
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
[QUOTE=delphin;1418421]Why do folks make such a big deal about simply hooking up the USB

probably for the same reason people make such a "big deal" about

touch screens
eink
fonts
buttons
keyboards
big brother
size
weight
price
plastic
wifi
3g
color
dictionaries
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #49
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
Why do folks make such a big deal about simply hooking up the USB to transfer e-books?

I agree that this might have some value if you have books on a device that doesn't support a standard USB storage device interface, like some smart phones, where you just can't work it any other way, but other than that, for most of us who were born with opposable thumbs, it's really not that big of deal to plug in a simple USB cable.

We also have a Kindle in the family, but I find that it's actually FASTER to transfer books to the Kindle directly, rather than going through all the trouble to bring up the email program, mailing the book, and then wait for delivery (and that's even considering that the Kindle's USB seems to be sloooow compared to the Sony).

in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal but and this is a huge BUT it's not as convienant. It's not as nice to have. Think of it like this. you are at work, your device is in your bag, you know of a great book you want. You log on buy it. You get to your train, turn it on and there it is. It's simplicity, it's makes life easier.

wireless data transfers is the norm now. and for Sony not to have it on two of it's three models makes you scratch your head. This is such an SOP, heck even the low budget Kobo offers wireless.

To me it's like have an HDTV without HDMI ports. yes technically can get by, but why would you NOT have them?
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #50
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
wireless data transfers is the norm now. and for Sony not to have it on two of it's three models makes you scratch your head. This is such an SOP, heck even the low budget Kobo offers wireless.

To me it's like have an HDTV without HDMI ports. yes technically can get by, but why would you NOT have them?
You are mixing things up here. Kindle, B&N and Kobo are US companies working with US shops. Sony is global. They have a wireless model and an online shop to serve the US customers that won't do without wireless. The rest of the world is not the least bit keen on it. Sony did some reasearch before they released their models and decided to cater to their costumers needs globally. In an interview the president of Sony said their costumers in Italy, Spain, China and so on are not interested in wireless.

It does not make sense anyway, which shop should I buy from in Germany to get a German ebook, which would someone else got to to get an Italia or Asawi a Swedish and Fortissimo in Nigera a book?

It is a common thing for anyone on this board to forget that 6 billion people live in this world, only 300 million of them are Americans, nonetheless it is pretty much annoying. Please stop thinking everybody should live by your needs.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #51
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
You are mixing things up here. Kindle, B&N and Kobo are US companies working with US shops. Sony is global. They have a wireless model and an online shop to serve the US customers that won't do without wireless. The rest of the world is not the least bit keen on it. Sony did some reasearch before they released their models and decided to cater to their costumers needs globally. In an interview the president of Sony said their costumers in Italy, Spain, China and so on are not interested in wireless.
I think you're underestimating the interest people outside the US have in wireless. There are plenty of people who have paid extra for or are currently trying to get the 950 in other countries, and I doubt they're all going to so much trouble just for an extra inch. Less interested on average I agree (and there are plenty of people in the US who aren't interested, too), but not entirely uninterested. And keep in mind that Amazon is very much selling the Kindle (and its wireless capabilities) to an international market. It is not only a US store. Oh, and Kobo is Canadian-based, not American.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #52
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha_fawn View Post
I think you're underestimating the interest people outside the US have in wireless. There are plenty of people who have paid extra for or are currently trying to get the 950 in other countries, and I doubt they're all going to so much trouble just for an extra inch. Less interested on average I agree (and there are plenty of people in the US who aren't interested, too), but not entirely uninterested. And keep in mind that Amazon is very much selling the Kindle (and its wireless capabilities) to an international market. It is not only a US store. Oh, and Kobo is Canadian-based, not American.
As far as I am concerned the man on the moon might run Kobo, it is not of the least interest for me if they are American or Canadian. Fact is, the store is English, Amazon Kindle books are English and I am not.

There are about 50 countries in Europe with about 100 different languages. Even if someone has a 950 here and likes to have wireless it will only be wireless not 3G. That means whoever wants to buy something with his 950 has either stay near a wifi hotspot or at home or has to fork out for a phone SIM-card and pay the roaming fees himself...

Amazons doing good outside the US is mostly due to the UK site and the Kindles sold there (rumors have it more than 3 million last Christmas). As they are able to read the books sold by Amazon it is no wonder.

Look at companies such as Pocketbook or Bookeen. Pocketbook is the 3rd biggest company in Europe and they started doing wifi last year with the PB302 und followed it up with their new models this year. Both of the new models can be bought with and without wifi as opposed to Kindle with wifi or with wifi and 3G.

PB is the biggest seller in former Russia, Sony the 2nd. I don't know where that leaves Kindles but I do guess far behind Cybook and Bookeen.

Last year there were Opus's and Sonys in every bookshop in Berlin. You get iRivers here in shops, also.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:33 AM   #53
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Doesn't Sony have DRM that isn't breakable? So if you wanted to change devices you've lost all the books you bought? Or is that old news?
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:39 AM   #54
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

It does not make sense anyway, which shop should I buy from in Germany to get a German ebook, which would someone else got to to get an Italia or Asawi a Swedish and Fortissimo in Nigera a book?

It is a common thing for anyone on this board to forget that 6 billion people live in this world, only 300 million of them are Americans, nonetheless it is pretty much annoying. Please stop thinking everybody should live by your needs.
I find it interesting that you feel the need to speak for the rest of the world. YOU don't see a need for Wifi, that's fine. It's the generation of "Instant Gratification", that's not just in the US, but worldwide. WiFi= Instant Gratification. I'm curious as to when all these other countries were surveyed, and what their target consumer group was. It's not as black and white as "China said they didn't want it".
Old 03-03-2011, 02:10 AM   #55
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
I find it interesting that you feel the need to speak for the rest of the world. YOU don't see a need for Wifi, that's fine. It's the generation of "Instant Gratification", that's not just in the US, but worldwide. WiFi= Instant Gratification. I'm curious as to when all these other countries were surveyed, and what their target consumer group was. It's not as black and white as "China said they didn't want it".
Curious? I am curious why you just don't read the article I am referring to yourself or look around for more information on your own. I provided a link in this thread and the accoring passage of said interview.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:49 AM   #56
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books

Quote:
Curious? I am curious why you just don't read the article I am referring to yourself or look around for more information on your own. I provided a link in this thread and the accoring passage of said interview.
You didn't refer to an article in that post.

ETA I'm going to assume your referring to the link on the previous page, which doesn't say anything about China etc Not Wanting the Wifi, as well as nothing on consumer targeting. Is there another article that actually touches on any of those or would you like to continue putting words into the mouth of a Sony prez?

Last edited by Belle2Be; 03-03-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:32 AM   #57
tennoel
Enthusiast
tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-300
sony!!!!
tennoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #58
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Doesn't Sony have DRM that isn't breakable? So if you wanted to change devices you've lost all the books you bought? Or is that old news?
You're probably thinking of Apple and their iBooks, of which there is currently no way to remove their FairPlay DRM. Sony uses Adobe DRM for EPUB, the same as almost every other EPUB retailer. Adobe DRM is currently very easy to remove. Speaking from my own experience.

Last edited by viviena; 03-03-2011 at 08:04 AM.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #59
gwbuffalo
eInk Junkie
gwbuffalo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
I read a lot, and after a whole day of working in front of an LCD, it's nice to do all my leisurely reading away from the computer. I also love to read outside (weather permitting). So for me, eInk display is the hands down best choice.

Wireless connectivity? Again, I really think it's nice getting away from the computer once in a while. Computers ceased to mean recreation for me long ago. The wireless is freedom and convenience. It's fun!

Best eInk and wireless implementation I found was on the latest Sony models, and I carefully evaluated them all. Sony not always best choice for some devices, but they nailed it nicely with the new readers IMHO.
gwbuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #60
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
That's really old information. Sony used to use the LRX format for their books. When they switchd to ePubs a few years ago, they allowed people who had purchased LRX books from them to redownload those books as ePubs. And yes, as viviana said, they use the standard Adobe ePub DRM format, unlike B&N and Apple.

Personally, I find their attitude of making it easy to buy books elsewhere and use them on their readers to be very refreshing, especially since most of the big retailers (B&N, Apple, Amazon) take steps to bind you to their bookstores.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook, sony, wi-fi